It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Vitamins & Supplements Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-10-2004, 03:41 PM   #1
(male)

flamingyouth23 HB User
Vitamins for Thicker hair

Hi:

What type of vitamins make hair thicker and has anyone tryed them?

thanks,

Old 02-10-2004, 06:14 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

oceandreams HB User
Re: Vitamins for Thicker hair

My hair is finally getting thicker after a few months of taking a B-vitamin complex and silica, along with a good multi-vitamin/mineral. Some people take high doses of biotin also. Or you can buy supplements that are formulated specifically for hair (Shen-Min Hair Skin & Nails is one).

I also started adding rosemary essential oil to my shampoo and conditioner, and I massage my scalp well with these. Rosemary oil cleanses and stimulates the scalp, which supposedly stimulates hair growth. It makes my scalp feel good anyway.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-15-2004, 08:53 PM   #3
(male)

flamingyouth23 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceandreams
My hair is finally getting thicker after a few months of taking a B-vitamin complex and silica, along with a good multi-vitamin/mineral. Some people take high doses of biotin also. Or you can buy supplements that are formulated specifically for hair (Shen-Min Hair Skin & Nails is one).

I also started adding rosemary essential oil to my shampoo and conditioner, and I massage my scalp well with these. Rosemary oil cleanses and stimulates the scalp, which supposedly stimulates hair growth. It makes my scalp feel good anyway.

What is a b vitamin complex? Like any type of vitamin B supplement?

thanks,

Old 02-15-2004, 09:28 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

oceandreams HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingyouth23
What is a b vitamin complex? Like any type of vitamin B supplement?
It's just a supplement that has the full range of B vitamins in it, rather than just one. The supplement I take has 11 different B vitamins all in one pill.

Old 02-18-2004, 06:43 AM   #5
Inactive

ps630 HB User

Hey flamingyouth- try Stress Tabs vitamins. That carries your B vitamin complex. I been taking those everyday and my hair comes in very thick.

Old 02-27-2004, 08:44 PM   #6
Inactive
(male)

NerfHead HB User

Essential Fatty Acids(flaxseed, primrose, salmon oil)
Vitamin B-Complex(sublingual formula)
Zinc(100mg daily)
Copper(3mg daily)
Silica(Horsetail is a good source)
Biotin(brown rice, green peas, oats, soybeans, sunflower seeds, walnuts)

If your up for it, try this: Massage 10-15 drops of Tea tree oil in your scalp right before you take a shower, then just shampoo as usual.

Old 04-08-2004, 11:11 AM   #7
Inactive

Aries872 HB User

I take Follicure vitamins (Sally Beauty supply), and 2000mcg of biotin and prenatals everyday. Seems to work and I am not shedding as much anymore.

Aries872

Old 04-13-2004, 07:02 PM   #8
(female)

scorp HB User

I like reading up what can help dry or damaged hair. I have naturally black hair and i had my husband(stupid me I know)bleach it blonde ,and i kept bleaching it to make it the blonde i wanted it. it was really blonde but i lost hair on the top of my head and it still has damage . I dyed it back black(with no peroxide)and have it much shorter. i have Biotin.I stopped taking it but just started after reading these threads. I have to get silica next!Ill keep you all posted on my hair

Old 04-21-2004, 06:51 AM   #9

sublimejg HB User

I have always had very thick course hair.However it would never seem to grow very fast!!I began taking a b vitamin complex and saw results within 2 months.B vitamin complex 100 mgs the highest amount you should take as some of the b vitamins cause nerve damage..I didnt buy any fancy name brand either just the drugstore brand..

Old 04-22-2004, 07:33 PM   #10
(male)

Dave64 HB User

Biotin
Biotin
Biotin

Old 05-01-2004, 11:51 PM   #11

Leah2004 HB User

hi,
I"ve started to take Silica, Biotin, and a vitamine B complex. I was wondering, how long does it take to see results? Ie. regrowth and reduction in daily hair loss.
I am 21, female, asian and have been experiencing a LOT of hair loss the past year...so much so that my friends and family are beginning to stare. Im becoming very selfconscious about it.

Thanx, L

Old 05-02-2004, 08:00 AM   #12
Inactive
(female)

oceandreams HB User

It would probably be a good idea for you to see a doctor for some testing since you are losing so much hair. Your thyroid or other hormones could be out of balance. Have you recently started taking the Pill, or done anything else different?

It took several months before I noticed any difference with the vitamins (at least 3 or 4 months). Be sure to take a good mulitiple vitamin along with the others you are taking, and gently massage your scalp every time you shampoo. I also added rosemary oil to my shampoo because it stimulates the scalp. Some people swear that the ingredient in most shampoos called Sodium Lauryl Sulfate causes hair loss, so you might try to find a shampoo without this ingredient (check at health food stores. I found some good shampoos by a company called Avalon). You could also try one of the "volumizing" shampoos to help make your hair look thicker while you are waiting for new growth to fill in.

Old 05-02-2004, 11:39 AM   #13

Leah2004 HB User

Hi Ocean,
I have seen a doc., two infact. I"ve had blood tests done and nothing turns up anything abnormal. I even went to a dermatologist and he said to maybe take some iron supplements, which i am also taking. I'm apprehensive about taking a multivitamin because they all seem to contain such high doses of Vitamin A, which is know to cause hair loss.
Anyways, thanx for the time line. If i don't notice a difference soon, then I'll go to a different dermatologist I guess to see if they can do anything for me.
L

Old 05-10-2004, 02:08 PM   #14

cm_cm HB User

@L:
i also have hair loss and very dry skin and anemy. i also feel like someone has pulled my hair. it doesnt feel to hold very well. did you notice any other abnormal things about your body?
i went to see a dermatologyst and he now gave me 5mg biotin per day (havent done a bloodtest yet). i have noticed that when i take this on weekends, so when i have no stress, then my scalp feels normal (not like someone pulled my hair) and the skin is normal. but on other days i can take 10mg and it doesnt help.

does anyone know how absorption of biotine could be influenced badly, except by eating row eggs? thx!

Old 05-10-2004, 02:16 PM   #15

cm_cm HB User

btw. i'm also female and 23

Closed Thread