It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Vitamins & Supplements Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-18-2004, 08:45 PM   #1

princess18 HB User
just how affective r vitamins? not too long of a thread...please respond

Just a quick question. If I didnt really drink much milk or take vitamins and stuff when I was little and im now eighteen, how much harm could that of done? Im eighteen now and suffer from a stiff swollen knee and a spot in my back that hurts when I push on it. Do you think this is due to not being forced to take vitamins or drink milk when i was a kid. And is too late to take vitamins now and drink more milk. Have I already done to much damage to bones or will I be ok? Im not blaming my parents, but I didnt know how important this was to do as a young one and when your young you never do stuff like this on your own cuz you dont know too. Thats what parents are for and I really wish they would of made me or told me to. It kind of hurts to know that they made my older three siblings, and not me, like they didnt care as much cuz I was the youngest.
answers would be great

Last edited by princess18; 02-18-2004 at 09:04 PM.

Old 02-19-2004, 05:59 PM   #2
Inactive

NatApoth2003 HB User
Re: just how affective r vitamins?

Please don't make yourself sick worrying about what should have/could have been. You are obviously aware that nutrients are necessary or you wouldn't be questioning their benefit (or the lack of them). Take responsibility for your health now, as in reality it is your responsibility from here on forward. Whether or not nutritional values had its place while you were growing up, it's not too late to start now. Don't fret over what was and concentrate on what will be. At your age you certainly have plenty of time to make up for what you may have been missing, and it's probably not nearly as bad as you think. Eat healthier, exercise, look into supplementation on your own and take charge of what you do with your body from here on in. M

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-21-2004, 11:32 PM   #3
Inactive

ps630 HB User
Re: just how affective r vitamins? not too long of a thread...please respond

Quote:
Originally Posted by princess18
Just a quick question. If I didnt really drink much milk or take vitamins and stuff when I was little and im now eighteen, how much harm could that of done? Im eighteen now and suffer from a stiff swollen knee and a spot in my back that hurts when I push on it. Do you think this is due to not being forced to take vitamins or drink milk when i was a kid. And is too late to take vitamins now and drink more milk. Have I already done to much damage to bones or will I be ok? Im not blaming my parents, but I didnt know how important this was to do as a young one and when your young you never do stuff like this on your own cuz you dont know too. Thats what parents are for and I really wish they would of made me or told me to. It kind of hurts to know that they made my older three siblings, and not me, like they didnt care as much cuz I was the youngest.
answers would be great
Hey Princess18- just start taking them now. Take Calcium everyday and agood multi evryday- it might take a while- but within a year or so- you should start to build yourself up. Your still young so don't worry about a thing. Take at least 1200 mg of calcium a day minimum.

Old 02-29-2004, 07:55 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

singer1 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by princess18
answers would be great
Just make sure that you get an all natural vitamin so that your body absorbs ALL of the vitamin. Some over the counter vitamins such as Centrum has a coating on it and by the time it absorbs into your system, you only get about an eighth of the vitamin. Get on a good multi vitamin and calcium and you should be just fine!

Old 03-07-2004, 03:29 PM   #5
Inactive
(male)

NerfHead HB User

Hey there,

The best time to take vitamins/minerals is right now! So you are in luck

If I were you this is what I would do.

1) Eliminate the bad stuff from your diet: Fried foods, sugar, soda, candy, fruit juices, ice cream, pizza, cookies, cake, etc..
2) Add some good stuff: "ALOT" of fresh fruits and vegetables, grilled or broiled chicken/turkey, 7-10 glasses of water daily, raw nuts(walnuts, pecans, peanuts, etc..)
3) A daily multi-vitamin, I like the Vitalogic brand because they are all natural(no synthetics)
4) At least 20 minutes of exercise daily (walk around your block, ride a bike, play with your dog, anything you can do to be active for at least 20 minutes a day.

And, stay with us on the board and learn as much as you can, especially about diet and exercise, that will be your salvation...eating well!!

Closed Thread