It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Vitamins & Supplements Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-03-2004, 11:21 AM   #1
(female)

drv HB User
Silica For Hair??

Hi, I just have a quick question. Does anyone know how much silica(horsetail)you should take a day? I went to buy some capsules for my hair since i want to take a break from the pre natal vitamins and they all differed in the amounts.For example one called "vegetal silica"(from spring horsetail) has only 11.0 mg and another brand of silica had 250mg. Is there a difference in the types. I really want to get a good kind. Please if anyone who currently takes it or knows anything about it that would be great.

Old 03-07-2004, 03:12 PM   #2
Inactive
(male)

NerfHead HB User
Re: Silica For Hair??

Quote:
Originally Posted by drv
Hi, I just have a quick question. Does anyone know how much silica(horsetail)you should take a day? I went to buy some capsules for my hair since i want to take a break from the pre natal vitamins and they all differed in the amounts.For example one called "vegetal silica"(from spring horsetail) has only 11.0 mg and another brand of silica had 250mg. Is there a difference in the types. I really want to get a good kind. Please if anyone who currently takes it or knows anything about it that would be great.

20-50mg daily of silica from horsetail is recommended for adults however,
500-6000mg daily is a common therapeutic amount. Be sure you are taking plenty of Vitamin B1(Thiamin) if you are taking more than 30mg of silica from horsetail daily.

If you are really concerned with vitamins/minerals for your hair, more important than silica are Essential Fatty Acids!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-08-2004, 08:02 AM   #3
(female)

drv HB User

Thanks a lot for your reply. I just bought some silica for 250mg (3 a day)
I also have added these:

-1 cod liver oil (sometimes 1 tbsp of flax seed oil instead)
-high B-complex(high in biotin)
-4 accidophilus(probiotic)
-4 garlic pills
-1 multivitamin (pre natal/alternating back and forth with regular multi)
-3 alpha lipoic acid pills
-wheat grass

will see how these will work for me.
Thanks,
d

Old 03-13-2004, 09:27 AM   #4

crystalina HB User

what does it do?? does it make ur hair grow faster? and is it made out of real horse tail???

Last edited by crystalina; 03-13-2004 at 09:28 AM.

Old 03-19-2004, 02:41 PM   #5

nightangel00 HB User

I would not take the cod liver oil. That has Vitamin A on it and Vit A is well known for hair loss. Instead flax oil or fish body oil but no way cod liver oil.

my .2 cents

Old 03-24-2004, 07:59 AM   #6
(female)

drv HB User

Thanks for the advice-maybe thats one of my problems(lol)My mom started me on cod liver oil when i was younger and i just kept taking it(maybe when off of it for a couple months here and there.(thats a lot of vit a -codliver oil plus in my multivitamin-never realized) I am taking flax oil right now or ground flax in my oatmeal so I'll just take out the cod liver oil and see what happens. Interesting.. going to do some research on this one.
Thankx for your help

Old 03-26-2004, 03:39 PM   #7

siren3 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalina
what does it do?? does it make ur hair grow faster? and is it made out of real horse tail???
No, it's not real horse tail, it's an herb/plant that LOOKS like a horse's tail (the hair, I suppose), so they named it that. ... It naturally contains silica which will strengthen your hair and make it grow or just make it prettier..., also very good for the skin, like preventing wrinkles and such. Haven't tried it yet myself, I might someday.

Old 04-13-2004, 12:03 AM   #8

Leah2004 HB User

Hello. Ive been experiencing a LOT of hair loss over the last year. after reading these posts I'm going to start taking Silica and flax seed. I was wondering how long does it take for the hair to start to grow back? Will my hair grow back even? Or will it just make my existing hair look nice. Does anyone have any other solutions for hair loss? i'm 21 female....

Old 04-13-2004, 08:19 AM   #9
(female)

drv HB User

HI,Well it hasn't been that long since I've posted but I have been taking the silica(3 day) and the flax seed oil(1 tbsp/day)and sometimes ground flax seeds(in shakes or on oatmeal)and using deep treatments once/week(homemade-olive oil and/or jojoba oil and/or coconut oil and/or camellia oil and/or salon treatments and/or added rosemary extract/castor oil /biotin rubbed on scalp etc...)
Try not to use heat styling alot and try not to wash my hair too often(to let the natural oils moisturize) I even last week went as far as to dye my hair back to a dark brown shade(which is closest to my natural hair color)no more blonde in my hair well i've been getting compliments on how my hair looks thicker and shinier-do not know if this is do to the new hair color or the vitamins. I already eat really healthy and take good vitamins. but I think taking the extra vitamin A out of my diet has helped a little.-now I just use them on my face instead-works better anyway.
Well I am going to keep at this for a while and see if my hair can get better. Its pretty bad for someone my age i think. Even all the ladies at the salon were saying-"you poor girl". Thanks for helping out.
D

Old 04-13-2004, 10:46 PM   #10

Leah2004 HB User

Hi, Dry
I'm glad that your hair is better, but how long has it taken you got make your hair regain its life? Weeks? Months? Days?
Have you been noticing NEW hair growing? Or, is it your existing hair that is improving? Do YOU honestly notice a difference in your hair?
What are these other treatments that you are using in your hair? (The oils and stuff and where did you get them?)
Thanx for answering me!

Old 04-14-2004, 06:51 AM   #11
(female)

drv HB User

Hi again, here is what I've been researching about lately and then I'll tell you what I've been doing-its kind of long.
I found out that the only approved drug (FDA) for hair loss is-Minoxidil-which is found in a topical solution in Rogain. But then they went on to say that there was only a certain percentage of men/women that it would work for and the people it did help regrow hair after you stop using Rogain you will lose most of the regrowth etc...so I would think that would be a pretty expensive habit. So I have never tried Rogain for this reason-too expensive at my age-and have just tried to be healthy and do things to improve the look of my hair from the inside out as well as the outside appearance.Just do a search on it to find site.(it also mentioned that do not take internally not approved-toxic)
I read on another site that 2% minoxidil lotion(2 times/day on scalp),biotin 300 mcg/day and trace minerals(in blue green algae(2 to 6/day)but I am not sure I want to try the minoxidil if I have to use it for the rest of my life. we'll see.
Here are some things I have used and still currently use to help my hair.(I've been doing this off and on for years)By the way I just turned 24 in april/04, born with pretty thick dark hair(half italian half french)hair started thinning I think around 15-17 when I started hormones,dying hair etc..have no idea.

everyday
-1 multivitamin, 1 b-complex, 6 garlic, 4 accidophilus(probiotic), 1-2 tbsp of flax seed oil, 2 wheat grass shots, 3 silica pills, 3 alpha lipoic acid, for colds(vit c,zinc,echanesia(sp?)drink Green tea in morning with low caffein if any with added grapeseed extract and other herbs.Warm water with lemon in morning.I think thats it that I can think of.Except for the added silica and more flax seed oil and removing the codliver oil I have been doing this for a while now and seems to be helping.
Diet-hardly any milk products-good fats/no yeast(if i can help it/low sugar/veg fruit/good protein(lean)beans-no fast food etc...I've been eating like this for a long time and now everyone is starting to eat this way because of South beach diet/atkins-it makes me happy because the food is easier to get now-don't always have to be at a healthfood store:P Anyways...

1-2 times a week
-deep treatment examples are:
1-Nexxus-keraphix creme treatment or Emergency
or
2-homemade-mix of -jojoba oil,olive oil,camellia oil,sweet almond oil(warm up for 10 secs or so in microwave then put on damp hair massage then wrap hair with a plastic shower cap and put a towel on my head to keep warm.Leave on for a 30mins to a couple hours.wash out-might take a couple times depends how much oil you put in hair
or
coconut oil
or one from my salon(Kera something-protein pack-can;t remember the name)

2-3 times a week
-put a couple drops of pure essential rosemary in my shampoo(massage scalp)use natural shampoo from healthfood store(jojoba,aloe vera etc) or kms silker shampoo
-conditioner(natural from healthstore)Natures gate I think-has b5,horsetail,protein,seaweed,biotin for chemically damaged hair etc.. or use leave in conditioner(I like the one from A/G food or something like that can't remember smells yummy
-use Artec-Blow silk(not Blow serum-do not confuse)if I'm blowdrying hair straight.(gives shine lightweight,some volume,smooth)or Thicker fuller hair(green color)helps thicken hair a little but doesn't give shine
-use Redken water wax or maybe some hairspray(Sebastian hairshaper plus)

My problem was that I think I am taking all the right things and doing good things for my hair but as soon as any new hair came in or looked thicker I would put bleach on it to dye my hair blond and it would break.(read about the life cycle of hair-just do a search)I was dying my hair every 3-5 weeks
So we'll see if there is a difference with me changing that and the added vitamins. I think I answered all your questions, feel free to ask me anything-I am no expert but I'm trying to learn and help my hair out.If anyone else has any advice I would like to hear it too.
Thanks
p.s-my skin looks amazing anyway even if the hair thing doesn't work out the way I want, heehee
D

Old 04-14-2004, 05:42 PM   #12

Leah2004 HB User

Hi!
Wow, thanx for your extensive reply.
Once exams are over I think I"m going to do a big rehaul in my hair care products. I read on here that Head and Shoulders Shampoo is good for hair loss. The person said that it contains Zinc which is helpful...i don't know if this works. But i'm going to try it.

I"ve never died my hair before. I just started to loose mass amounts during the last year...so much so that my part is REALLY noticeable...even in photos...it's embarassing. I don't understand why i'm loosing it. I think it does have to do with my diet though...my hair loss began pretty close to when i moved out of my parent's house and not longer got any good home cookin'. I hope by taking these vitamine supplements I can make my body happy and get my once full head of hair back again. I'd even settle for half of the hair that i've lost back. I"ll keep you posted on my results.

You seem very dedicated to fixing your hair. Im glad to hear that things are working out for you.

L

Old 04-14-2004, 09:46 PM   #13

Leah2004 HB User

Hi D,
It's me again...i'm sorry but i have to ask you again...

1-Have you noticed NEW hair growing?

2-How LONG does this treatment process take to see results?

Thanx. L
PS-Happy Belated Birthday!

Old 04-15-2004, 06:35 AM   #14
(female)

drv HB User

HI,

1-My hairdresser notices(so she says)that there is new hair coming in and its stronger and not as many split ends(damaged)I too notice a little bit at the crown but as I said before then I'd dye it and I think it was breaking off because my hair never seemed to be thicker all over just at the roots??

2-Well I don't know how long its taken because I've been doing this for so long..lol but recently I have noticed more in the last couple of months.

I read on these boards about the head and shoulders shampoo, my boyfriend has that hmm maybe I'll give it a try. I use a lot of natural stuff though-which does has zinc in it too maybe just a different concentration.I don't know what to do anymore. I've been to dermatologists and other doctors about it and they say its genetic-my mom has thin hair my grandmothers-but my dad,brother and aunt have thick hair I mean thick-go figure the men got it Anyways I will keep you updated too.Thanks

Old 04-16-2004, 06:54 PM   #15

Leah2004 HB User

Hey,
thanx for you answers. I don't know my family history, if I did I think it would really help to shed some light on this issue. Anyways, I"ll buy these things and hope that something works...
L

Closed Thread