It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Vitamins & Supplements Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-09-2004, 06:17 PM   #1

sea_blossom HB User
Question Prenatal vs. Women's Vitamins

I've been taking Women's One a Day vitamins since I was a teen. I've heard that it's a good idea to take a women's vitamin if you may become pregnant because of the iron and folic acid. I'm not trying to get pregnant exactly, but I'm not on BC either, so I want to prepared just in case. I was just wondering how these vitamins differ from prenatal vitamins. There was a thread on the beauty board that discussed taking prenatals for faster hair growth - that's how I became interested. I compared labels at the grocery store, and the prenatals had more zinc, a, and c, and that's about it. Those were generic cheapie ones, so I don't know about the quality... I guess what I want to know is, in general, which would be best for someone in my situation. I am 22, no health problems, a few pounds underweight. Thanks!

Old 03-16-2004, 12:09 PM   #2
Senior Veteran

Magpiezoe HB User
Re: Prenatal vs. Women's Vitamins

Hello, You really won't need the prenatals until you're pregnant. Orange juice is a really good idea whether your pregnant or not, since it is loaded with folic acid. Once you get pregnant, you'll want to go to a OB/GYN for regular check ups. The OB/GYN should recommend the proper prenatal vitamin for you. My OB/GYN had me take prescription prenatals, because they are stronger than the OTC prenatal vitamins plus he had me take Ferrel Sequils. (Iron pills)

On of the greatest things that you can do is to take care of your body before you get pregnant...just like you are doing now. That means you need to make sure you get enough exercise to make you nice and strong for the "pregnancy marathon." (Labor) Eat well balanced meals with lots of fruits and vegies, but don't forget to eat protein as well since your prosective baby will need it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-18-2004, 04:27 AM   #3
Inactive

girlygirly HB User
Re: Prenatal vs. Women's Vitamins

Quote:
Originally Posted by sea_blossom
Those were generic cheapie ones, so I don't know about the quality... I guess what I want to know is, in general, which would be best for someone in my situation. I am 22, no health problems, a few pounds underweight. Thanks!

Remember that you are getting what you are paying for. (That's not to say that all expensive vitamins are great.) Normally you are not going to find a vitamin that is high quality in a drugstore or supermarket. If you are concerned about taking quality vitamins then I suggest going to a healthfood store and try talking to someone who is knowledgable.

Synthetic vitamins act like drugs in the body. For example Vitamin A can be toxic in high doses, but vitamin A obtained from food sources do not become toxic at high doses. Synthetics do not have all of the precursors that may be needed for proper absorption. You may as well be taking nothing.

Closed Thread