It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Vitamins & Supplements Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-22-2004, 03:49 PM   #1

WishUwerehere HB User
Question about "oil-based" supplements

I am taking fish oil, CLA (for weight loss) and saw palmetto (for PCOS). All of these are oil-filled capsules and I'm wondering how much fat this is adding to my diet or if it is detrimental to take too much oil for other reasons. The dosage for the fish oil and saw palmetto is 2 capsules a day and for the CLA it's 9 capsules a day If nothing else, I wonder how many calories this is adding to my diet! Am I doing myself more harm than good in terms of my weight loss efforts?

Old 03-30-2004, 12:18 PM   #2

Ibis HB User
Re: Question about "oil-based" supplements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WishUwerehere
I am taking fish oil, CLA (for weight loss) and saw palmetto (for PCOS). All of these are oil-filled capsules and I'm wondering how much fat this is adding to my diet or if it is detrimental to take too much oil for other reasons. The dosage for the fish oil and saw palmetto is 2 capsules a day and for the CLA it's 9 capsules a day If nothing else, I wonder how many calories this is adding to my diet! Am I doing myself more harm than good in terms of my weight loss efforts?

I'm taking CLA too and on one bottle of CLA it says 20 calories per pill. Are you losing weight? I thnk I am losing fat and a little weight.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-31-2004, 06:37 AM   #3

WishUwerehere HB User

I have lost 5 or 6 lbs in the past two weeks, but it's hard to say if it's due to the CLA, the strict diet that I've adopted, or the fact that I've started doing HIIT (high intensity interval training). I bought one of those scales that measures your body fat and I've only lost 1% body fat . Hopefully the rest was just water and not muscle!

Old 03-31-2004, 07:53 AM   #4

Ibis HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by WishUwerehere
I have lost 5 or 6 lbs in the past two weeks, but it's hard to say if it's due to the CLA, the strict diet that I've adopted, or the fact that I've started doing HIIT (high intensity interval training). I bought one of those scales that measures your body fat and I've only lost 1% body fat . Hopefully the rest was just water and not muscle!
Do those scales work well? Are you happy with yours? Was it $$$$??
I have wanted to check my % of fat. I gained 2 lbs. Since I work out at least 5 daya week I was wondering if it might be muscle??

Old 03-31-2004, 08:09 AM   #5

WishUwerehere HB User

I think it works fairly well....I did a lot of research before buying it and decided upon the Tanita brand. It is supposed to be pretty accurate....my husband had his body fat measured a few months ago with the calipers and it was within 1% of what the scale said. It wasn't too expensive.....I think it normally retails for $45-$50, but I got it on sale at Linens N Things a couple weeks ago. Along with a coupon that I had, I only ended up paying about $30 for it.

Old 03-31-2004, 08:16 AM   #6

Ibis HB User

Thanks a lot for the information Will look into that brand. We have Bed Bath and Beyond in Reno. Will check it out.
I

Closed Thread