It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Vitamins & Supplements Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-28-2004, 11:08 AM   #1
(male)

steven2984us HB User
Best Mult-vitamin & Mineral

That I'm planning on giving up eating fruits(b/c of the sugar), inorder to battle my acne. I plan on getting the vitamins and minerals from a Mutli-vitamins & mineral pill. I'm not looking for one that extremely potent (nothing like mega Men, or anything) Just something that gives me enough of what I need--nothing more.

So which do u think is the best for me?

Old 03-28-2004, 06:16 PM   #2

thewind HB User
Re: Best Mult-vitamin & Mineral

Oh no no no, don't do that, please! The sugar in fruit is NOT the same as the white sugar. Fruit is a complex carbohydrate, a GOOD carb. The sugar in fruit is digested much slower than refined sugar, it does not put a burden on your body and cause your body to over use your B-vitamins to digest it (white sugar and other simple carbs do put a burden on your body). Fruits, however, contain everything it needs right in the fruit for your body to digest it properly. Things like white sugar and white flour that's used in so many foods does not contain everything it needs for the body to digest it properly and puts a burden on your body because it has to overwork to digest it. Multi-vitamins are not complete either. You cannot get the same things from a multivitamin that you get from a fruit. Fruit contains something very important, ENZYMES, which MUST be present for any vitamin to work in the body properly or else your body will "borrow" from other sources within your body to complete what's needed for that vitamin to work, which could then lead to deficiencies of other things... For example, citric acid is NOT completely vitamin C, there are other parts of vitamin C that man can not isolate and put into a vitamin. A truly COMPLETE vitamin would only be in the foods that naturally contain them, or the next best thing would be a "whole foods" vitamin (which WOULD be the best kind of vitamin to buy but is usally more expensive). If you completely give up fruit, you are giving up a large part of the "raw part" of your diet. Those enzymes are in raw foods like fruits and vegetables, your body needs them, needs them badly, in order to get rid of acne and stay healthy. And it's not just the vitamins and enzymes that are important, it's also the water and fiber. Many people might disagree with me, but from what I've studied so far I am quite confident that this is very sound advice.... Unless your body has some type of allergic reaction to fruit or a disorder that keeps you from being able to eat it, it would be a horrible thing to give up fruit completely, and I would be willing to bet strongly that your acne would only get worse. Don't give up uncooked vegetables either. You need as much raw food in your diet as you can fit in there (I don't mean to become a vegetarian).

If you had the money, it would be a good idea to buy "whole foods vitamins" instead of a multi-vitamin, and you can also buy enzymes as well. Do some research about this online if you can. But the best thing would be to spend that money on fruits and vegetables and eat them throughout the day as snacks (they certainly won't make you fat). In addition, I know that "hydrogenated" oils are horrible for your body and can certainly lead to acne. If you look at almost any snack food (junk food), you will almost always see it listed as an ingredient, like "hydrogenated soy bean oil" or "partially hydrogenated", not just soybean oil, other hydrogenated oils as well. I would eliminate ALL these as best as you could, or only have them rarely. Of course, there is much more to all this nutrition stuff and how it relates to acne, but some of the the things I've mentioned so far would be the most important.

Again though, many people would disagree with me on some of these things. BUT you have to do the research yourself and test it out and decide for yourself.

Last edited by moderator2; 04-14-2004 at 08:08 PM. Reason: Please carefully read, know and follow the Healthboards.com Policies and Guidelines. Click on FAQ at the top left of this page. Thank you!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-02-2004, 10:23 AM   #3
(male)

steven2984us HB User

Thanks for replying. i now know better

Old 04-14-2004, 07:36 PM   #4
(female)

Jeanster HB User

I don't know first hand if vitamins help skin problems. I am going to try taking vitamins for my skin problems too though. Here is what I have researched and what I am going to try

evening primrose oil - at least 2000 mg per day abuot 4 capsules
omega 3,6,9 - contains fatty acids, borage, fish oil
zinc- not more than 50mg per day or could cause nausea/upset stomach
flax seed oil-1 teaspoon per day
vitam b complex-1 pill per day
vitamin c-1000 mg per day

I'm sure all the other vitamins and minerals can't hurt as well. Good luck, I'll let you know how it works for me.

Jeanster

Old 04-22-2004, 08:01 PM   #5
(male)

Dave64 HB User

google Life Source multivitamins. It is the best multi I have ever had!

Closed Thread