It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Vitamins & Supplements Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-09-2004, 09:57 AM   #1
(female)

Jo-chan HB User
Vitamins/Supplements to help with being cold?

Hi all,

Is there anything I can take to help me feel warmer? I am constantly cold (I've been tested for hypothyroidism twice and I don't have it) and it's making me miserable. Oddly enough, it's becoming more of a problem as it gets closer to summer because the AC is on more often at my workplace. I have a space heater at my desk but it only helps a little.

My doctor gave me something to boost my metabolism in hopes that it would increase my body temp, but it didn't help at all. Not even a little bit. So we're at a loss as to what else to try.

Thanks!

Old 04-09-2004, 11:30 PM   #2
Inactive

ps630 HB User
Re: Vitamins/Supplements to help with being cold?

try coffee or tea

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-10-2004, 05:11 AM   #3
Inactive

girlygirly HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo-chan
Hi all,

Is there anything I can take to help me feel warmer? I am constantly cold (I've been tested for hypothyroidism twice and I don't have it) and it's making me miserable. Oddly enough, it's becoming more of a problem as it gets closer to summer because the AC is on more often at my workplace. I have a space heater at my desk but it only helps a little.

My doctor gave me something to boost my metabolism in hopes that it would increase my body temp, but it didn't help at all. Not even a little bit. So we're at a loss as to what else to try.

Thanks!
Try L-Tyrosine. It works to support the pitituary, adrenal,and thyroid gland. It is supposed to help with cold hands and feet (it works for me and my friends that I have recommended it to). You may also want to try 100 mcgs of selenium which will support the thyroid gland. These supplements are safe and needed by the body. Don't overdo the selenium as at high doses it can be dangerous the dose I suggested is pretty low.

Have you been on the thyroid board? If not please do and be sure to read the "Post our stories here" sticky. Many people are misdiagnosed because they fall into the "Normal" category. Like I did!!! I would ask to be retested and ask for A Free T3 and a Free T4 (not the Total T4 or T3 uptake). Also ask for a thyroid antibodies test to see if you have the autoimmune disease Hashimotos.

Good Luck!!

Old 04-14-2004, 08:05 AM   #4
(female)

Jo-chan HB User

Thanks for the suggestions! I'll be sure to let you know how they work.
And yes, I have visited the Thyroid board and investigated it. That's why I had a second thyroid test done.

Any idea if the things you suggested will be OK to take with Wellbutrin? I take 300mg once a day.

Thanks again!

Old 04-26-2004, 10:20 AM   #5
(female)

Jo-chan HB User

I started taking L-Tyrosine two days ago and I have some selenium on the way, so now I'm wondering how long before I have any noticeable results? Can you give me an idea of how long it took for you and your friends who've used it?

Old 05-15-2004, 09:57 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

melanie in mary HB User

hi. Have you tried iron? I am slightly anemic, use to always be freezing!!! I started taking 1 extra iron pill in addition to my multivitamin (this on the advice of my doctor). After a few weeks I could really tell the difference. Just be careful and take it on a full stomach because it makes you sick to your tummy unless you take it with food. I think once you start taking it you will notice a big difference.

Old 05-15-2004, 12:09 PM   #7
(female)

Solange1965 HB User

Hi,
I saw that you did have thyroid labs run twice. If you don't mind my asking how long ago and exactly which labs did you have done? It should have been your TSH,Free T4,T3 and TPO and for good measure your PTH(your parathyroids).

If the doctor said they were normal often that word is the problem. Because falling with the normal range for each test can still mean you have a thyroid that is off....for you. In other words let's say the normal range for the Free T4 is anywhere between 1.0 and 5.0. Your result comes back at 4 or 2. Well for many people those few digits can make all the difference in the world. They are now looking at people like that as coming in at the low or high end of normal and if all other medical problems are ruled out, will consider a low dose of medication. You need to get a copy of all your thyroid labs, look at the ranges for each tests and see where your numbers were. I never let a doctor give me a normal without getting numbers on any test plus a copy for my own records.

I have to keep my TSH(thyroid stimulating hormone) level at the low end of normal or I will start to feel that I need a long sleeve shirt on with the a/c and I live in Florida! My leg muscles will ache and long before any tests, I know that the levels are off by just a few digits. The thyroid is a very sensitive gland and regulates a huge part of our chemistry.

I hope you were seen by an endocrinologist and not just a primary...
Solange

Closed Thread