It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Vitamins & Supplements Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-23-2004, 06:43 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

GirlHarley HB User
Question How many Vitamins can someone take?

How many Vitiamins can one take in a day? Isn't too much not good?
Can someone help me with my new outlook on Vitamins and what is good to take?

I just started :

Flaxseed Oil - 2 tsp in the morning either by mouth or I put in my oatmeal.
Vitamin C - 1000mg in morning and 1000mg in the evening
Vitamin B-6 100mg in the morning
Evening Primrose Oil 500mg one in the morning and one in the evening.

Can anyone tell me what else I can take, when I can take it and if I'm doing anything wrong with out I'm taking the other Vitamins.

Thanks,

Old 04-23-2004, 05:31 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

ARIZONA73 HB UserARIZONA73 HB UserARIZONA73 HB UserARIZONA73 HB User
Re: How many Vitamins can someone take?

I don't know why you chose this particular combination of supplements, but they are all good supplements. It's good that you are supplementing with 2000mg vitamin C. That is a good dose to take. I would also emphasize other antioxidants, such as vitamin E and beta carotene. I would also take a B-complex vitamin, or a multi vitamin-mineral supplement which contain all the B vitamins. The B vitamins work best as a team, so don't just take a single B-6 supplement alone. If you wish to take additional B-6, take it in addition to the rest of the B vitamins.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-23-2004, 05:37 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

GirlHarley HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARIZONA73
I don't know why you chose this particular combination of supplements, but they are all good supplements. It's good that you are supplementing with 2000mg vitamin C. That is a good dose to take. I would also emphasize other antioxidants, such as vitamin E and beta carotene. I would also take a B-complex vitamin, or a multi vitamin-mineral supplement which contain all the B vitamins. The B vitamins work best as a team, so don't just take a single B-6 supplement alone. If you wish to take additional B-6, take it in addition to the rest of the B vitamins.
Thank you so much for repsonding! I thought know one was going to answer my post...

I chose the combination from the Peri Zapper by Dr.Phil's wife on his web site and from what I have been reading on the menopause site.

OK, so Vitamin E would be good too...
I was too considering the Bcomplex but didn't know if I could mix more Vitamins B's into what I'm taking,,,,So, I'm glad you said they work well as a team..I meant to buy Vitamin B - complex and when I got home I noticed it was B-6...LOL
Now,one more question if you don't mind and if you have an answer...Can
I also do a Women's Multi Vitamin like from the GNC store with all these all Vitamins I'm taking?

THANKS!

Old 04-23-2004, 08:08 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Girlharley,

I don't see why not.

Old 04-23-2004, 08:22 PM   #5

sarah1000 HB User

Just note that you are already taking the max for B6, and it is the one B vitamin that you are not supposed to extra of although i forget why (the others are ok). A complex B with folic acid B12 and B6 should have the right combo rather than taking them individually

Old 04-23-2004, 11:27 PM   #6

sublimejg HB User

Certain b vitamins can cause nerve permanent nerve damage...I hope you are reading up on all your taking other than the multi on top of your b's it sounds ok..good luck
sublime~~

Old 04-24-2004, 04:31 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

Vitamin B-6, if taken in dosages exceeding 500mg per day, can cause sensory neuropathy, a condition which is reversible once the dosage is lowered.

Old 04-24-2004, 12:36 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

GirlHarley HB User

Thank you all for your great advise....

Ok, I just got back from running errand today and stopped at the drug store.
Checked this site and saw that I bought TOO MUCH vitamins...

So, I will be returning some..

This is what I bought today..
Stresstabs High Potency B-complex +Iron - so should I stop taking the Vitamin b-6? since this has all the B Vitamins?

Vitamin E - 400IU - now I'm confused on this one because the Stresstab vitamin has Vitamin E @ 30IU and I read this is the daily amt needed?

Magnesium - 250MG - due to the Peri Zapper that I am doing and this was listed.

Stupid me also bought during my confusing Vitamin shopping - One A Day multivitamin upplement for Woman - looks like I have to return this too?

Please help me and tell me about these that I have added so I can be done with this Vitamin thing, start taking them properly and off to a good healthy life style and Deal With Perimenopaus

Thanks so much!

Old 04-24-2004, 06:55 PM   #9

scribbles HB User

The RDA for vitamin B6 is 1.3 mg/d (for adults 19-50 years; 1.5 mg/d for females 51+) and the upper limit is 100 mg/d. Containing the B-Complex vitamins, Stresstabs would be a better choice over the lone B6 supplements, and the Stresstabs contain vitamins C and E, iron, and folic acid, too.

Vitamin E is stored in the body and therefore can be toxic in high amounts, though it's the least toxic of the fat-soluble vitamins. The RDA for all the forms of vitamin E is 30 mg/d (15 mg/d for the alpha-tocopherol form that occurs naturally in food) for individuals 14 years and older, but studies show that a bit more is needed for most health benefits (eg. antioxidant effects) to occur. You can meet your vitamin E requirements with your Stresstabs which is probably good enough. Those exceeding the upper limit of 1000 mg/d may be at increased risk for stroke or hemorrhages.

The RDA of magnesium for women 19-30 years is 310 mg/d; for women 31-50 years, it's 320 mg/d. Your magnesium supplement sounds fine, but I think your Stresstabs would contain this mineral.

The RDA of vitamin C for adult women is 75 mg/d. Antioxidant benefits have been shown at 90+ mg/d. Toxicity symptoms of water-soluble vitamin C can occur at over 2000 mg -- eg. diarrhea, kidney stones. Your Stresstabs should take care of this vitamin.

Now on the other hand, the One-A-Day multi-vitamin supplement should contain all the essential nutrients mentioned above (as well as calcium and vitamins A and D, which I don't think are currently in your arsenal of pills) at 100% RDA. IMO, I think this single pill may be good enough to meet your health needs and supplement the vitamins and minerals you take in from your food sources.

Old 04-24-2004, 08:04 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(male)

Girlharley,

I would continue with the vitamin C at the 2000mg dose. I would also encourage you to take at least 400 IU vitamin E. I have personally been taking 2500mg vitamin C and 800 plus IU vitamin E for over 20 years, and have never had any problems. If you want to derive therapeutic benefits from supplemental nutrients, such as vitamin C and vitamin E, you must take them in doses much higher than the RDA.

Old 04-26-2004, 05:16 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

GirlHarley HB User

Thanks to all of you who responded.

Very Helpful information!

Have a great day!

Old 04-26-2004, 07:30 AM   #12

johnx HB User

You know, I'd just skip the separate b-6 and go for the GNC ultra woman (I think that's it's name) with the high B doses. Take it for a few months and see if you're just as well off. The EPO and flax are good - I take fish oil instead of the flax, but flax is good too. If you eat nuts, you may not need the EPO, otherwise stick with it. If you're entering menopause, consider some of the herbal complexes for it, plus soy protein shakes would probably benefit you.

Good luck.

And, OF COURSE someone will respond to you post.

Old 04-26-2004, 09:13 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

GirlHarley HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnx
You know, I'd just skip the separate b-6 and go for the GNC ultra woman (I think that's it's name) with the high B doses. Take it for a few months and see if you're just as well off. The EPO and flax are good - I take fish oil instead of the flax, but flax is good too. If you eat nuts, you may not need the EPO, otherwise stick with it. If you're entering menopause, consider some of the herbal complexes for it, plus soy protein shakes would probably benefit you.

Good luck.

And, OF COURSE someone will respond to you post.
Hi! Thanks for the info...I had a bottle of the GNC Ultra Woman and just threw it out because it had a exp.date of 8/03..Yeah, I bought it last year in January, gzz..either 2002 or 2003? I don't remember now..But I was not good at that time taking it. Well, when I finish my Stresstabs b-complex bottle maybe I will switch back to the GNC brand...

What are Herbal Complexes? and What kind of Soy Shakes would you recommend? I'm up for anything....and right now, I have this plan that I want to focus for the Next 6weeks...Vitamins, Excerize w/yoga, eating nothing but healthy foods, lots of greens, fish, etc...I'm laid off from working, having a hard time finding a job,,,so...instead of stressing about the job right now...I want to focus all my energy with getting healthy again and to get rid of my panic attacks...

Old 05-06-2004, 08:40 PM   #14
Inactive

MariaS HB User

As someone else mentioned, in order to actually get some real benefits from whatever supplements you're taking, you have to take a much higher dose than the RDA.
I woudn't worry about taking too many vitamins. What I would worry about, is taking too little. I've taken up to 30 supplements a day in times of stress, and I know plenty of people who have done the same and never had a problem. The amounts recommended by the average doctor are the absolute bare minimum, and will definately not get you any real benefits.
Also, stay away from cheap brands like Centrum. Some great brands are Natural Factors, Swiss, and Greens. A great, great thing to take is the Greens Multi, which has helbs, as well as a stong dose of multivitamins. On top of that, you can add a whole bunch of other vitamins and not have any problems. I think the best thing to do is to go to a good health food store that specializes in natural remedies, and ask about mega-doses of vitamins.

Closed Thread