It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Vitamins & Supplements Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-28-2004, 11:16 AM   #1
(female)

Tenacious HB User
What Brand of vitamins are the Best to take, what to stay away from????

Me and my husband are reaching 40 yrs, and have taken multi vitamins for years, but many times just buy what is cheap or on sale, knowing these are probably not the best kind to get. Where can I get UN Biased Opionions or tests on what is the BEST brands to buy..... GNC ? Centrum? You hate to spend your $$ on something that is not disolving once you have taken it. And are these more expensive brands worth the extra $$ ? Advice please. Thanks so much!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-30-2004, 08:05 AM   #2
Inactive

girlygirly HB User
Re: What Brand of vitamins are the Best to take, what to stay away from????

[QUOTE=OverRunWithSons]Me and my husband are reaching 40 yrs, and have taken multi vitamins for years, but many times just buy what is cheap or on sale, knowing these are probably not the best kind to get. Where can I get UN Biased Opionions or tests on what is the BEST brands to buy..... GNC ? Centrum? You hate to spend your $$ on something that is not disolving once you have taken it. And are these more expensive brands worth the extra $$ ? Advice please. Thanks so much![/QUOTE

Centrum is a synthetic vitamin, synthetics act as drugs. One big problem with synthetics is that they may look like vitamins under as microscope but they lack the precursers need for proper absorption like a natural vitamin does. Some Synthetics can become toxic in high doses, such as vitamin a. You do get what you pay for, if someone buys cheap vitamins then quality will be an issue. There are many brands that you can get benefit from, but they probably won't be found in a supermarket or drug store. There are so many different brands that have good reputations. I will give a name of one that is not too expensive and it will give you a big bang for the buck. Green Source by Puritan Pride. Look them up, Puritan Pride manufactures the vitamins and sells them direct so the price is affordable. Good Luck!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-01-2004, 05:21 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

ARIZONA73 HB UserARIZONA73 HB UserARIZONA73 HB UserARIZONA73 HB User

Absolutely! Puritan's Pride makes high quality supplements. In independent laboratory testing, Puritan's Pride products always seem to appear among those which meets the standards of quality. And, since you buy directly from the manufacturer, there is no middle man, so you get very good quality products at affordable prices.

Old 05-01-2004, 07:16 PM   #4
Inactive

ps630 HB User

Try Andrew Lessman vitamins called "your vitamins" they come in the powdered capsule form. they are a bit expensive though- about $45 for a 60 day supply. the mens vitamins are 3 capsules a day- they come packed in foil for freshness. Womens vitamins are 5 a day. Being the powdered form- they will give you the best absorption.Look them up in the search engine.

Old 05-02-2004, 06:50 AM   #5
(female)

Tenacious HB User

Thank you for all your advice, I have heard of Puritan's Pride vitamins, will have to look into these again. Is this Green Source for poeple who don't get enough of their vegtables?? That would describe me well !! Is GNC any good? I know there is some book out that tests all these vitamins --it is supposed to be UNbiased and done in a Laboratory. Anyone have this book or know what I am talking about, and who they claim has the BEST multi vitamins ?? thanks so much!

Old 05-04-2004, 08:37 PM   #6
(female)

Tenacious HB User

Very interesting. Now this is on a different subject altogether but I would like your opionion--if I may. I know what you mean about somebody is always trying to sell you something and not knowing who to trust. What do you think about statin drugs and all the doctors pushing so many choloesterol drugs, do you think maybe all this HYPE over our numbers -- is MUCH in part to make $$ for the drug companies--and the Docs get a kick back? I recently got a book called "the Heart Revolution" and this MD has been shunned by saying Homocysteine is the #1 calprit in determining Heart Disease, not our cholesterol #'s. I would LOVE to believe this man is right and that just maybe I don't need these statins--which can bring on Muscle pain and liver tests. I am only 37 yrs but I do have high cholesterol -269, although my HDL was 69 and my ration was Better ----than when I dieted and got my # down to 199 - my HDL plumeted to 46 and my Ratio was WORSE. All my relatives live to be in their 80's. And they didn't take these drugs. I just wonder if this author is on to something. His book wasn't well received because if it took off, many would quit the statins and just get more B vitamins to help with their Homocysteine levels. Just wondering if you knew anything about this ---or had an opionion. I also seen a book called "Death by Persciption", would love to get ahold of this one also. I know my grandfather is almost 90 yrs, and he took alot of vitimins--no persciption drugs, he swore by Bee Pollen, eating healthy Peanut butter and lived out of his garden. Simple things. Thanks!

Old 06-03-2004, 09:25 AM   #7

buxy HB User

There is a consumer advocacy group called "supplement watch" that has a web site. The full detail reports require a subscription, but they give a good amount of free info too.

Old 06-03-2004, 02:01 PM   #8
(female)

Tenacious HB User

Thank you, I will check that out, I did end up ordering about $60 of vitamins from Puritan's Pride. Their vitamins look good, the company sounds good. I wonder how their vitiamins fare in all these tests, if anyone knows any info, maybe has a subsciption with some of these results, let us know! I would really appreciate it!

Old 06-04-2004, 07:13 AM   #9

johnx HB User

Consumer Lab is another organization that tests vitamin and supplements for purity, etc. Their feature this month? You guessed it - Multi-Vitamins! Again, for the full report, you have to buy a subscription, though, I think you can buy just one report at a time, too. ?? You should be able to figure out thier web site url.

Anybody heard of Shaklee (sp?) vitamins? A friend swears by them...

Old 06-04-2004, 11:33 AM   #10

autmom HB User
Thumbs down Consumerlab reports lead in Gummy Vites

Speaking of consumerlab, there was a thing about l'il Critter Gummy Vites having lead in them.

Old 06-14-2004, 07:48 AM   #11

johnx HB User

I can't comment on the quality of GNC vitamins, but I was impressed with GNC when I found out that they do lab testing on supplements, to ensure quality and long term safety for their customers. I was researching a certain supplement (can't remember which) and was on a .gov site and found that GNC submits laboratory experiment notes (yes, they test on animals...better them than on people, IMO) to the government to document their testing. I don't know why, since it's an unregulated industry, but they did it. And, that impressed me. (I was able to ******** the .pdf copy of the report.)

Old 06-15-2004, 11:45 PM   #12

ILikeRats HB User

I personally love either Alive! multivitamins by Nature's Way (they are tablets but dissolve in plain water 3 per day, or capsules 6 per day) or Source of Life Liquid by Nature's Plus (it's liquid, so you don't have to worry that it won't dissolve.)

Old 07-25-2004, 08:58 PM   #13

Lady Biker HB User

My neurologist ( I have MS) told me that Centrum and Myadec are both as good as anything she could prescribe for me so I just ended up taking Centrum for the last 14 years. She also said to take an All Bee & C along with it which I have also done. Just a comment.

Old 08-13-2004, 07:56 AM   #14
(female)

Tenacious HB User

What is "All Bee", never heard of this...is it a Brand name of something, is this like a Complete B vitamin suppliment? Thanks I also have heard Centrum is good. I know with the Puritans Pride, you have to take (3) BIG vitaimins A DAY to equal what 1 Centrum does, I guess. It's easy to forget to take that 2nd and 3rd vitamin each day.

Old 08-13-2004, 09:02 AM   #15

johnx HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverRunWithSons
What is "All Bee", never heard of this...is it a Brand name of something, is this like a Complete B vitamin suppliment? Thanks I also have heard Centrum is good. I know with the Puritans Pride, you have to take (3) BIG vitaimins A DAY to equal what 1 Centrum does, I guess. It's easy to forget to take that 2nd and 3rd vitamin each day.
Well, not exactly, I suspect. Typically, the multi-pills/day multis have 'mega' doses of many of the vitamins. You'll see 1000's of % for b-vits, as well as higher doseages for others. And, many have other herbal, etc ingredients. They just can't fit all of those ingredients into one pill. Plus, a benefit of the day/night supplements is that you're ensuring an even release throughout the day. I don't think even Centrum can say that their product releases over a 24 hr period. So, there are benefits to the multi-pill per day vits. One thing to note: the mega doses of B vitamins really do help with dealing with stress and fatigue.

My answer to your original quesiton about what's good? Just go with a 'major' brand, meaning something you see in more than 1 reputable store. Natures Way, Natures Resource, Puritans Pride, ... heck, I take Vitamin Shoppe brand. I do know that Consumerlab pretty consistently lists Vitamin World's products as acceptable. As a matter of fact, they did a multi-vit piece recently. Why don't you go to their web site and get it? Yeah, you can read part, but for the whole report, you'll have to pay. Then again, for the $25 or so, you just might save that much if you find that a cheaper vitamin is also a good one.

Closed Thread