It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Vitamins & Supplements Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-25-2004, 07:41 AM   #1
(female)

rainbowdawn HB User
vitamin c

Is there any danger in taking too much vitamin C? Thanks!

Old 05-25-2004, 08:30 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

auntjudyg HB User
Re: vitamin c

There is no advantage to big doses. Even people who used to advocate it, like Andrew Weil, backed away from it a number of years ago. I think the big problem that can develop from the mega doses is irritation of the digestive track, but others may know more.

My recollection is that one is not to exceed about 1000 mg per day . . . and the biggest dose at one time should not exceed 500 mg.

Last edited by auntjudyg; 05-25-2004 at 08:30 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-25-2004, 11:50 PM   #3
(female)

rush-rulz HB User

Actually, I was under the impression that C is water soluble. If you get too much, you just urinate it out. I don't think it does any serious harm (?). But in that case, taking more than the recommended dose won't help you--it'll just result in what doctors call "expensive urine." :-) So either way, whether it's harmful or harmless, I wouldn't bother doing it. Your body only needs so much to perform its functions.

Old 05-26-2004, 01:10 AM   #4
(male)

janson HB User

All above is true. Vitamin C is quite strong acid and can contribute to pain in people with sensitive stomach or excess gastric acid secretion. It also can cause heartburn. Maybe is not too good for teeth too (just a thought).
I consider vitamin C tablets as a drug (medication). There is no reason to take it with normal eating habits with some fresh fruit and vegetables. All excess vit C is excreted but it is also true that there are no stores of it in the body, so the "health food" should be eaten regularly.
Vitamin C is destroyed to some extent if the food is cooked. Vitamins are mostly in the peel (skin) of the fruit. It's better to cook potatoes on vapour only, since when cooking in the water, vitamin C will leak out and you will throw it away with water. Besides oranges and lemons (which are sour because of citric acid and not because of vitamin C!) tomatoes, parsley, blackberries are good source.

Old 05-26-2004, 09:51 AM   #5
(male)

redwing HB User
Wink Re: vitamin c

I used to mega-dose on C, and kept catching colds a number of years ago. Not any more. I take 250 mg. of C (along with some other individual vitamins) in the AM and then a multiple (which contains 60 to 90 mg. of C) in the PM.

I confirmed my suspicions about the effects of Vitamin C mega-dosing in a recent article I read. It stated that there is a saturation level beyond which the body cannot absorb additional quantities of vitamin C. Greater intake than that needed for saturation is immediately pumped out by your body. If such amounts are taken for an extended period of time, the body becomes trained to "pump out" the amount of excess. When the dosage is reduced (or if you miss a day or two of supplements), the body still keeps pumping out the amount it thinks is in excess, even though it is now needed. This can result in a deficiency where otherwise there would not be one. This was observed in seasonal orange pickers, who exhibited signs of scurvy after leaving their high citrus diet. Extra high doses of vitamin C will not keep you from catching colds. To reduce the chances of getting colds the best strategy is to avoid exposure to people who already have a cold (don't rub your eyes or nose with unwashed hands). The severity of colds may be reduced by taking extra vitamin C during the period of infection. There did not seem to be much difference between the effects of 250 mg. and several grams of vitamin C. A daily intake of 150 to 200 mg of vitamin C increases the body store to a maximum level of 4 grams total. Further Vitamin C supplementation is excreted.

Last edited by redwing; 05-26-2004 at 10:08 AM.

Old 06-01-2004, 06:47 PM   #6

andybanandy HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by modrijan
All above is true. Vitamin C is quite strong acid and can contribute to pain in people with sensitive stomach or excess gastric acid secretion. It also can cause heartburn. Maybe is not too good for teeth too (just a thought).

i think your refering to citrus acid, which can do all the stuff you mentioned.

vitamin c is indeed water soluable, which means your body takes in as much as it needs at a time, and then pees out what you dont need. so you can NOT "overdose" on it.

right now, i take 1590 mg's (yes, 1590mg's ) of vitamin c a day, in the form of suppliments (pills). and i havent been sick in a LONG time.

Old 06-01-2004, 06:56 PM   #7
(female)

rush-rulz HB User

Have there been new studies about the connection between vitamin C and colds since I last checked? It's been a while, I admit. The last I read, it was shown to possibly have some effect on preventing colds in children but not in adults. As I say, it's been a while since I heard anything.

I think what really prevents illness is being healthy, which includes the recommended dose of vitamin C plus all the other vitamins and minerals. Eat well, sleep, reduce stress, minimize exposure to sick people, etc. etc. I personally (just a personal opinion) don't think that lots of vitamin C will save you if you don't do everything else. It's really all about minimizing exposure and maximizing the immune system.

Closed Thread