It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Vitamins & Supplements Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-02-2004, 05:34 PM   #1
(female)

PatioGazer HB User
Fish oil/Omega 3 caps

Can anyone recommend a small-sized omega 3/fish oil capsule? Right now I take Solgar 700s and they are just too big for me to swallow comfortably. Unfortunately they are one of the smallest I have been able to find. I don't mind taking more per day if I can at least swallow them!

Old 06-02-2004, 07:23 PM   #2

Miriam7 HB User
Re: Fish oil/Omega 3 caps

I take fish oil pills called "Fisol". They are enteric coated so you never get fish burps or heartburn from them. They dissolve in your intestines, not your stomach. I just discovered them a few weeks ago and I LOVE them. They are quite small too...about the size of a large one-a-day vitamin...they are round like that.

I cannot tell you how pleased I am with Fisol fish oil pills. I used to take Carlson's, but had to stop because of the burping, etc.

You can buy Fisol at stores online...I get mine from vitaminshoppe online. Otherwise just do a google search for Fisol.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-03-2004, 05:56 AM   #3
Inactive

zip2play HB User

PatioGazer,
I'm an anomaly but I love the flavor of cod liver oil. I take a tsp a day and it slides right on down.
Give it a try unless it repulses you.

The problem with the caps is that you must get about 3 grams of oil to get the 1000 mg Omega-3's. Those 3 grams occupy nearly 4 cc's...can't squeeze it into a small pill- it's just physics.

Old 06-03-2004, 03:19 PM   #4
(female)

cuRIOUsLexy HB User

What are the health benefits from taking fish oil/omega pills?

Old 06-04-2004, 10:41 PM   #5

Paracelsus HB User

Fish oil slightly increases fat oxidation, which is probably where it gets its popularity. It is also an EFA, and one that people usually don't get enough of. These aren't the big payday in my opinion, if you already have a very well thought out diet.

The big payday is the ability for fish oil to decrease blood TAG levels by a perplexing extent.

Howso? PPAR-alpha agonism and DGAT2 inhibition. This is pretty loaded. It repartitions your biochemistry to use more fat for fuel. This is not lipolysis or other unimportant pathways- these are the payday mechanisms. Controlling TAG levels is like controlling your brains lipostat. To think that I have done this topic justice would be rediculous. Fish oil will not turn you into a lean monster overnight, but it is #2 on my list, right after the multivitamin.

Old 06-06-2004, 03:45 PM   #6
(male)

Dave64 HB User
Exclamation Re: Fish oil/Omega 3 caps

One caution on fish oil capsules. I started taking th enteric coated fish oil capsules from Nature's Way on this past Thursday. By Friday night i was in full anaphylaxis shock! We think it was the fish oil. I did some reading from a google search that said asthmatics are prone to anaphylaxis, and that fish is one of the most common food allergies. This was a really scary night. I almost passed out, and my blood pressure went from a normal 130 over 85 to 75 over 39 in less than one or two hours. I had a rash over my entire body and my face and lips went numb. Very scary. Please be careful with fish oil capsules! Check to make sure you do not have an allergy to them. Peace! Dave

Old 06-06-2004, 08:44 PM   #7

Miriam7 HB User

Oh my goodness Dave, that is terrible! I know that fish allergies can be terrible though, so I'm glad that you are ok!

Did your doctor verify that your allergy was to the fish oil? Did you have to stay in the hospital very long?

At least now you will be aware that you are allergic to fish, you can avoid it in the future and hopefully avoid another scary episode.

Glad you are ok.

Old 06-06-2004, 10:10 PM   #8
(male)

Dave64 HB User

Miriam, thanks for the kind thoughts. The doctor does not know for sure. The only two things I had changed in my diet over the 2 days before the episode were the fish oil capsules and trying another tea that had come in my green tea bag as a sample. Our guess is that the culprit was the fish oil. Most episodes happen quickly, but there was a 33 hour window between the first fish oil capsule and the onset of the rash, etc. I eat shrimp and salmon with no problems. What I am going to stay away from is any form of fish oil. It was pretty scary, knowing that what happened to me could happen to anyone at any time! However, decided a long time ago to not live in fear. My life ill not be run by fear. I will be careful, but not fearful! God bless! Dave

Closed Thread