It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Vitamins & Supplements Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-07-2004, 02:53 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Abbey32 HB User
What are synthetic vitamins?

What does it mean exactly? How do you find out if yours are? It does not say on the pack. They are Olay Energy multis.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-08-2004, 05:13 AM   #2
Inactive

peregrine HB User
Re: What are synthetic vitamins?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbey32
What does it mean exactly? How do you find out if yours are? It does not say on the pack. They are Olay Energy multis.
I know nothing of this brand but regarding synthetic vitamins:

- they are not derived for a natural source, as such,

- it has been shown that the body is unable to utilize them as efficiently as those from natural sources, and ...

- they can cause sensitivities and adverse reactions

If you read all the material about the product it should state the ingredients and whether or not they are synthetic.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-19-2004, 07:16 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jess75 HB UserJess75 HB User

also, i just read about this by the way. there are fat soluable (synthetic) and water soluable (natural) which means that the natural ones are better absorbed by the body and if you consume too many vitamins, instead of resulting in toxicity, your body eliminates what it doesn't need through urine. synthetic on the other hand, becomes absorbed in your fat and kind of stores it in your body which can more easily result in toxicity. plus, your body only absorbs 50% of synthetic vitamins and natural is absorbed much better. this is what i read so i would do some more researching if i were you but in my opinion, natural is better. i was concerned about this topic also and i posted a thread because i just bought women's ultra mega vitamins at gnc today and i used to take one a day maximum, by "one a day" which are synthetic. i also asked the question on whether or not one could still have toxicity of vitamins while eating healthy (cause i do) and also taking these vitamins. good luck

Old 06-21-2004, 12:09 PM   #4

johnx HB User

As far as fat vs water soluable (sp?), different vitamins have different soluability (is that a word? ). Vitamin E is fat soluable, vit c is water soluable. I have never heard the thing about synthetic only being fat soluable, and don't really believe it, as my vits are probably synthetic (they're a cheaper vitamin shoppe store brand) and I still pee out the unused B-vitamins (dark yellow urine).

Old 06-21-2004, 05:42 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

synthetic are fat soluable, and natural are water soluable, according to a few sources!

Old 06-21-2004, 10:43 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessicca
synthetic are fat soluable, and natural are water soluable, according to a few sources!
like i said, do some more researching!!

Old 06-22-2004, 12:56 AM   #7

ILikeRats HB User

Fat soluble vitamins can be EITHER natural OR synthetic. For example, look over all the bottles of vitamin E at a health food store. Notice some say "Natural Vitamin E" while some (especially drug store brands) simply say "Vitamin E?" The fact that a vitamin is fat soluble doesn't determine whether it's from a natural or not. If you're buying single fat soluble vitamins like D or D, make sure it says on the label that it's "natural." Look for multivitamins at health food stores that say "Food-based" or "Whole food." They aren't the cheapest, but they are more soluble. I like Nature's Way ALIVE! multivitamins (the tablets, which are 3-a-day, but I take 2. There are also capsules, but they are 6-a-day) because it tends to be a lower price yet is easily dissolved. And yes, they might turn your urine dark yellow, but that doesn't mean you're not absorbing needed vitamin B. (Take them with a meal containing fats, so the fat soluble vitamins will be better absorbed.)

Old 06-23-2004, 11:09 PM   #8

Portia26 HB User

I remember this from simple high school biology. The fat soluble vitamins are A,D,E and K, and the water soluble vitamins are vitamin C and the B vitamins. Now if some companies claim to turn a fat soluble vitamin into a water soluble one or vice versa via synthesizing them into such a product, whatever. The basic fact is that A,D,E,K are fat soluble and C and B vitamins are water soluble, certainly in their natural form.

Closed Thread