It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Vitamins & Supplements Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-12-2004, 11:47 PM   #1

Damaeus HB User
Utterly Frustrated With Conflicting Information

I've had it. I really have. I'm so sick of liars, cheaters and snake oil that I can't stand it anymore. As a consumer, I want truthful, reliable information I can use to decide what I want to buy. After all the reading I've done, I'm left wondering not only whether the multivitamin I'm taking is even necessary, but also whether those giant, green horsepills are anything more than cornstarch tablets.

This is so maddening I don't know where to begin.

I mentioned to a friend of mine that I had ordered some vitamins and supplements and I was about to pig out on them. I ordered the following five items from Puritan's Pride:

Green Source Iron Free multivitamins
Ginko Biloba
Cod Liver Oil / Evening Primrose Oil (1000 mg softgels)
Damiana Leaves (450mg capsules)
L-Arginine / L-Ornithine / L-Lysine combo tablets

I listed these things and my friend tells me I'm throwing my money away. So I read information on a site called QuackWatch and they talk about all the ways "vitamin pushers" convince us to buy their products. Okay, so that makes the pharmaceutical companies look good.

Well, pharmaceutical companies -- they're traded on the stock market, so ever increasing sales and profits are essential to their longevity. And we know there's more money to be made treating symptoms than curing diseases. And how do we know that these pharmaceutical companies aren't intentionally engineering side effects in their medicines so they can get us to buy OTHER drugs to counteract the side effects of the initial drug? And how do we know that the studies conducted weren't falsified in some way? How is it that studies show a drug has great success, but then they sell a bunch of it on the market and suddenly 500 people lose their colons on the sidewalk at high noon with everybody watching because they took a certain drug that was declared safe by the FDA?

And then there's a third angle. There are those who say we can get all the nutrition we need from eating right -- a balanced diet. Lots of fruits and vegetables and whole grains. Yummy!

But then there's a fouth angle, combined with the supplement industry, saying that our current, genetically modified foods are deficient in nutrients because scientists have tampered with what mother nature has created. So since we aren't getting enough vitamins and other nutrients, we feel the need to eat more nutrient-poor food to try to get enough nutrition, causing obesity. Therefore we should supplement with pills, preferably from natural sources.

And then we have the problem of products claiming to be natural when they really aren't.

And then we have people saying we should just try it and if we feel better, then continue doing that.

But then it could be the placebo effect. We feel better because we believe that what we're doing is helping us. Then we may one day have a sudden flare up of whatever was ailing us and we end up in the emergency room in much worse shape than if we'd followed someone else's information we didn't know was trustworthy.

Why can't it be simpler? Why can't we depend on all the information available to be the honest truth? I hate sitting here thinking I've thrown away my hard-earned money on something and all it's doing is going right through me because either (a) it wasn't needed to begin with, or (b) it was made out of an indigestible product that has no benefit in the body... much like swallowing a BB or a plastic baggie.

This is the type of thing that makes me want to wake up in the middle of the night screaming. I want the truth. Is that too much to ask for? I don't lie to others, and I certainly don't appreciate being fed a stack of lies by the companies I may have to depend on one day to keep me healthy. As it stands now, I just don't know who to believe.

Damaeus

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-13-2004, 07:40 AM   #2
Inactive

ps630 HB User
Re: Utterly Frustrated With Conflicting Information

I hear you there. I think its funny that the surgeon general can make a warning that smoking causes birth defects and other health related problems and THEY CANNOT MAKE A CLAIM ABOUT THE POSITIVE BENEFITS OF VITAMINS!! Your best bet is to go to the bookstore and buy a book on vitamins and supplements and do the research yourself..

Old 06-13-2004, 08:23 AM   #3
Inactive

peregrine HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damaeus
I listed these things and my friend tells me I'm throwing my money away. So I read information on a site called QuackWatch and they talk about all the ways "vitamin pushers" convince us to buy their products. Okay, so that makes the pharmaceutical companies look good.
Damaeus
Curious, I just visited QuackWatch. I don't know that they are so reliable a source of correct information either, having just read a few of their articles, one on Acupuncture. I agree with the next poster. Do your own research. You will feel empowered and the self-knowledge you gain will enable you to make better decisions about your health care.

Old 06-13-2004, 09:16 PM   #4

Damaeus HB User

I love books. But to add another point to my original post, there are those who say the authors of all these books are quacks as well. That the fact that M.D. is after their name means nothing unless he's stating the results independent studies which have been peer-reviewed. I have a book here beside me... Prescription for Nutritional Healing, by James E. Balch, M.D., and Phyllis A. Balch, C.N.C. I've been told the whole book is BS.

I've been told I should investigate the credentials of the people writing the book. See if the schools they attended are accredited. If they're not, then they're quacks.

But people can falsify their own histories and claim to have gone to schools they probably can't even locate on a map. Or maybe they ordered a degree for $50 out of some magazine.

So even reading books leaves one questioning the information contained within it.

Damaeus

Old 06-13-2004, 10:10 PM   #5
Veteran
(male)

DoOoOoM HB User

Vitamins are vitamins, minerals are minerals. They all have their benefits. You must understand that vitamins alone will not make you a healthier person. Nor will they help to cure a disease. Some may help prevent and some are just a waste of money. Most of the vitamins/minerals you find in a multi-daily vitamin you probably need in order to function correctly in some way or another. Now I'm not saying you will die or get sick if you don't take one, but I doubt in this day in age everyone is getting the right nurtients they need to be 100%. Diet and exercise are the #1 factors in maintaining your health. Vitamins come in at a distant third.

Ginko Biloba

This combo here is probably the most potent on the list.
-L-Arginine / L-Ornithine / L-Lysine combo tablets-
Ginko is in my daily multi-vitamin/mineral. I really don't know if it's actually helping or not.

The greatest racket when it comes to vitamins and such are the bodybuilding supplement companies. If it has a fancy name of slogan then people are attracted. The sad thing is that the companies can say whatever they want like, THIS IS THE GREATEST AND MOST POWERFUL PROTEIN POWDER ON THE MARKET TODAY!!!! IT'S 10 TIMES MORE EFFECTIVE IN PROTEIN SYNTHESIS THAN ANY OTHER ORDINARY WHEY SUPPLEMENT!!!! IT'S TIME RELEASED AND READY TO BUILD THOSE MUSCLES!!! BUY IT TODAY!!!!! Most of the time it is just a waste of money. Muscle Tech is probably one of the worst bodybuilding supplement companies out there. They keep coming up with something new which seems to be a miracle in the bodybuilding industry. Frankly, its all garbage. Not only that but people buy it and M.D.'s endorse it. The supplement market is a huge racket, you must always be weary. I've choosen my supplements carefully by either experience or reputation. You got to scout these companies.

Old 06-14-2004, 01:41 AM   #6

Damaeus HB User

Well, the Damiana leaves seem to do what they claim. The Puritan's Pride site doesn't claim this, but other sites do... that Damiana Leaves (turnera aphrodisiaca) causes the urine to contain a certain oil that causes a minor irritation of the urinary tract. It certainly seems to work in that regard. I've been feeling a progressively itchy urethra down there starting about halfway through the second day of taking these. There are other benefits besides this, however, one of which is relieving headaches. But oddly enough, I did have a headache that lasted for a short while today. However, that could have been because I really didn't get enough sleep the night before :-)

Old 06-14-2004, 07:00 AM   #7

johnx HB User

Ginko Biloba
L-Arginine / L-Ornithine / L-Lysine combo tablets

Have you joined a consumer advocacy group, like consumerlab or supplement watch? Also, the american botanical council is a membership. These are the organizations I've found that seem to be on the up and up, though, honestly, I haven't researched them. consumerlab seems to always recommend the vitamin world supplements. I've wondered if they get a kick back from VW. ?? anyway, be well read, try looking at the German Monographs (is that what they're called?) - the only published govt report. Things like damiana are lightly covered, but it is from a govt, so should be respected.

As for damiana, I've taken it. For me, it caused loose stools. Not a problem, and this is a known side effect. I have heard from un-biased people that it can boost female libido. Has something to do with it's effects on the testosterone receptors in the cell, or something like that. A "PR blocker"?

Don't sweat it. There are plenty of nay sayers, as with all things. Do your research and go with what feels right. If you get burned, so what? You're not the only one it's happened to, and we all just move on.

Old 06-21-2004, 07:48 PM   #8

nastybreakz HB User

I feel the same way, it's all kind of crap man who can you trust these days and as far as vitamins go I take vitamins accasionally. I'm sure some help, but I question things just like you do and I'm feeling the same about doctors and drug companies in that they treat symtoms, that's all they do, but often times the drugs they prescribe, have worse side effects, which sure you have solved one prob but now you have six others...suuuuper huh.

But it's like this man I guess I see it like this, everyone's genetics are different man we are all individuals what works for you may not work for someone else depending on various things. I think it's just sad that if you really need help you getting in to see a doc is hard as hell and then when you get in it may not even be the doctor for you. So I don't know what to think either man. I just try to find out info on my own and maybe hope I can make the right choices but that's life what do you do. Relaxation can do wonders and stress makes us want to kill people and for everyone finding a balance is your ultimate goal I'm guessing. Got probs what the hell would I know.

Old 06-22-2004, 10:38 AM   #9
(female)

Solange1965 HB User

I really sense your frustration and can understand how you feel. Even so, I take vitamins. It doesn't take more then some common sense to realize that the quality of our food supply is lousy. I don't care if you are talking about fruits and vegetables(grown in depleted soils or sprayed with chemicals) or beef and chicken(hormones, etc...and fish(wouldn't know where to begin), all of it including grains cannot be viewed as sufficient, even minimally, in the needs our bodies require nutritionally. That's a given.

So what to do? Okay, well vitamins/minerals seem to be the option to helping not replacing the above. I view them as a much needed addition to my day's food supply and probably the least contaminated. Sure there are alot of shysters out there but do your homework, stick with a vitamin company that has been around a long time with a solid reputation. They are there.

Personally I feel a good multi vitamin/mineral plus extra Vitamin C and E
is enough. Some like an extra calcium/magnesium. But unless you have a diagnosied insufficiency of something else in your body, why buy all the latest 'fad' stuff? All those extras cost plenty and whatever is currently on the bandwagon will fade in a few months but the basics are always needed.

I will never feel 100% even with the vitamins but I say to myself, who knows, maybe I would feel alot worse without them.....Solange

Old 06-24-2004, 09:46 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(male)

orion HB Userorion HB Userorion HB Userorion HB Userorion HB User

Take a look at the book, "Life Extension" by Durk Pearson, you can probably find it in the library. It's pretty old but they very carefully outline the reseach being done on vitamins and some supplements.

Current research medical journal articles (you can find on PubMed) support vitamin C & E for heart health and diabetes care, folic acid & other B vitamins to prevent arteriosclerosis, and vitamin D for possible cancer prevention especially prostate, breast, colon and bladder cancers. In addition, calcium supplements have been shown to be helpful in colon cancer.

Old 06-26-2004, 10:00 AM   #11

sbbeachwalker HB User

I agree with the previous posters about doing research. What I do is put in the search engine the product name along with fraud, false claims or any other word that might lead you to an article that reveals the truth.
Another thing I do is get to know my body more through a Biology textbook I picked up at a yard sale. With this information I can decide for myself if using a certain supplement is going to help me. The latest claim I have been hearing is that there are "newly developed proteins" that are beneficial to your body. I am going to research that because it sounds kind of suspicious and like you said, who knows, it may cause more problems than solve them. There are so many people coming down with horrible diseases and you just have to wonder what causes them.
BOTTOM LINE: eat healthy and stay away from fake sugars, nitrates, and MSG.

Old 06-26-2004, 11:22 AM   #12
(female)

Solange1965 HB User
Thumbs up Re: Utterly Frustrated With Conflicting Information

You can add to your 'bottom line' list: keeping your stress(distress) levels to a minumum. You can eat all the healthy foods you want to but if you are not keeping the stressors in your life under control, it's a losing battle. Personally I feel that the constant depletion of adrenaline and assault on our immune system due to stressors, accounts for a majority of health issues we have across the board.

So we think by taking alot of supplements, especially the ones to build up our immune systems is the answer. That's a band-aid. You can restore quite a bit of your depleted stores by quieting your system down everyday with any form of deep meditation/hypnosis. If you are not good at this, there are alot of terrific CD's available to use with a headset that guide you through about 45 minutes of 'quiet time'. I have one that is excellent and use my portable CD player everyday, wherever I happen to be.

Add those supplements to support your immune system along with it, and believe me your body will thank you...Solange.

Old 06-28-2004, 10:15 PM   #13

sbbeachwalker HB User

Solange--It's very true what you said about the stress. I have thought about that a lot and have also concluded that this is a big contributor to our diseases, ESPECIALLY obesity. Think about the signals we are sending our bodies......"store fat cells for there is a famine!" because it really doesn't know what the stress is for.
Thanks for bringing this up, I think this is something people really need to think about more (but hopefully not get stressed about it too!!).

Closed Thread