It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Vitamins & Supplements Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-19-2004, 06:06 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jess75 HB UserJess75 HB User
health from the sun fish oil

hi,
does anyone have any comments about fish oil named "health from the sun." I was going to buy the carlson's fish oil over the internet but whole foods health store sells this stuff which claims to be mollecullary distilled and organic. any feedback would be greatly apprecated. btw, a bottle is only 10.00 and has 47 servings!
jessicca :

Old 08-04-2004, 11:21 AM   #2
Inactive

Rickhard HB User
Re: health from the sun fish oil

i would start eating ground flax seed. you can consume fish oil, too. both good. fish oil should be molecularly distilled so the brand you mention should be okay. i took gnc salmon oil capsules but they made me burp and i didnt like the taste. i love eating the ground flax seed. With oatmeal, unsulphured black strap molasses and 1% milk, it's tasty. All of these things are good for you. Since getting up to a half cup of ground flax seeds[brown, they're cheaper than gold] a day I have quit taking my antidepressant, anti-anxiety meds. I reduced allergy and asthma meds 95%. My exercise capacity has increased 33% to 50%. I used to ride the bike for 45 minutes. NOw, I ride it for at least an hour. I often go 70 to 75 minutes. I have a Tunturi stationary bike. I put a lot of tension on the wheel which simulates riding uphill. I no longer feel colder than other people[that was a serious problem for me for over ten years, body temp was normal and thyroid okay, but I just wasn't comfortable without extra layers of clothing on even in the summer.] I never would have believed one food could do this much. You can learn a lot about flax by putting "flax seeds" in a search engine. Dr. Whitaker says flax seeds may be the most therapeutic food on earth. They are certainly working great for me. I can't beleive my daily dose only costs me about twelve cents. I'm real high on oats, too. I've made a lot of dietary changes, but the flax has by far been the most effective. It is in a class by itself in my opinion. As word gets out and it becomes more popular I'm sure the price will go up. shop around and you should be able to get a good price. The gold is going to be more expensive, but i tried it too and I rate the brown and gold the same as far as effectiveness. the gold is more popular because it has kind of a zippier flavor than the brown. It's not worth the extra money to me. If you try this, the best way to go is to grind it right before you cook it or eat it. I tried eating it raw but it stuck to my teeth. I put it in after i cooked the oatmeal but i didn't notice any effect from that. You can cook it, but don't let the temp exceed 350 F or it may neutralize or eliminate a lot of the nutritional benefits. Do not use the oil for frying or anything like that. It has a very low smoke point. Good luck.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-05-2004, 09:00 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Rick, I already use flaxseed in my cereal and or yogurt! But I only use a tablespoon a day. I am so thrilled that you were able to go off your antidepressants! You know, most people that are on antidepressants are suffering from a vitamin deficiency. Magnesium is a major one then I'm sure there are many others. What I wish I could tell a lot of depressed and sick people is that diet and nutrition are important elements in maintaining an all around healthy life, mentally and physically. Ever since I started learning more about health and nutrition, I myself, was able to go off my anitdepressants and felt much much better, by exercising and eating better. Keep up the good work!

Old 08-06-2004, 08:13 PM   #4
Inactive

Rickhard HB User

Now that you mention it my dandruff is gone. This has been a life long problem. My scalp does not itch like it used to either. I think it would be good for dry skin, I don't have any info on acne.
I would think flax seed oil will do just about everything eating the ground flax seed does, but I haven't used it so I can't say so personally. I am just so high on eating the ground flax seed. It's your cheapest option. The seeds have amino acids and lots of fiber. If you eat as much as I do you don't really have to worry about including fiber from other sources. I read the daily limit on fiber is supposed to be 35 grams,but they dont' break that down into soluble and insoluble fiber. I've read vegetarians usually consume 40 or more grams a day and they dont' seem to be having problems with it. It seems like government standards are always on the safe side. 35 grams is plenty. I'm right about that range because I eat a lot of oats and spinach, too. I probably go over on days I eat brown rice, not everyday. I've read too much fiber can interfere with mineral absorption, but this is offset by the fact that a lot of high fiber foods are high in minerals, too. I take a multivitamin/mineral supplement.

Old 08-17-2004, 03:03 AM   #5

ano HB User

A few comments here.

First of all, flaxseed oil and fish oil may interact. So, it wouldn't be a good idea to take both together.

Also, for those who say fish oil doesn't taste good or causes burps, try taking fish oil capsules right before having a meal. It should help.

Lastly, flaxseed oil would not be as good as taking fish oil. I read a research on how much of flaxseed oil actually turns to materials that are actually helpful, and it said only about 5% or so is processed. Also, keep in mind that there are not very many researches on the effect of flaxseed oil. It is only "guessed" to have similar effect as fish oil since flaxseed oil also contains omega 3.

Here is an article about a common myth about the benefits of flaxseed oil:

"As more and more people become aware of the importance of fat in their diet, there's growing interest in the benefits of flaxseed oil. Flaxseed oil is rich in a type of fat known as omega-3 (you'll also see it written as n-3).

Over the past few years, a number of studies have shown that fish oil (which is also high in omega-3 fatty acids) can reduce the risk of heart disease, lower your blood pressure, and also alleviate some of the symptoms of depression.

Because flaxseed oil also contains omega-3 fatty acids, it's easy to confuse the benefits of flaxseed oil with those of fish oil. However, what many don't realize is that the omega-3 fatty acids found in flax are not the same as those in fish.

Flaxseed oil
Fish oil contains two omega-3 fatty acids known as eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA) and docosahexaenoic acid (DHA). Flaxseed oil, on the other hand, is rich in alpha-linolenic acid, which is the "parent" fatty acid to DHA and EPA. Although similar in structure, the benefits of alpha-linolenic acid, EPA, and DHA are not the same.

Your body converts alpha-linolenic acid rapidly into EPA, and more slowly into DHA. Roughly 11 grams of alpha-linolenic acid is needed to produce one gram of DHA and EPA. However, other foods in your diet can easily put the brakes on this conversion process.

A diet that's rich in trans-fatty fatty acids, for instance, will "interfere" with the conversion of alpha-linolenic acid into EPA and DHA. Trans-fatty acids are found in foods such as cookies, some types of margarine, chips, cakes, and popcorn. When you see hydrogenated oil on the ingredients label of a food, there are probably some trans-fatty acids in there somewhere.

Balance
It's also very important to make sure that your diet contains the right balance of omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids. A healthy diet consists of roughly two to four times more omega-6 fatty acids than omega-3 fatty acids. In other words, for every four grams of omega-6 fatty acids, aim for at least one gram of omega-3 fatty acids.

Because traditional sources of fat (such as butter) have been replaced with vegetable oils (sunflower oil and corn oil, for example), the typical diet contains 14 to 25 times more omega-6 fatty acids than omega-3 fatty acids. A diet that contains too many omega-6 fatty acids at the expense of omega-3 fatty acids also limits the conversion of alpha-linolenic acid into EPA and DHA.

This doesn't mean there are no benefits of flaxseed oil. Foods high in alpha-linolenic acid (such as walnuts and flaxseed oil) are a useful addition to the diet of anyone who wants a leaner, healthier body. They should, however, be consumed as part of a diet containing high-fat, cold-water fish (such as salmon) and/or fish oil supplements."

I hope these help. =)

Last edited by ano; 08-17-2004 at 03:05 AM.

Old 08-19-2004, 08:39 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ano
A few comments here.

First of all, flaxseed oil and fish oil may interact. So, it wouldn't be a good idea to take both together.

Also, for those who say fish oil doesn't taste good or causes burps, try taking fish oil capsules right before having a meal. It should help.

Lastly, flaxseed oil would not be as good as taking fish oil. I read a research on how much of flaxseed oil actually turns to materials that are actually helpful, and it said only about 5% or so is processed. Also, keep in mind that there are not very many researches on the effect of flaxseed oil. It is only "guessed" to have similar effect as fish oil since flaxseed oil also contains omega 3.
VERY HELPFUL! My friend bought flaxseed oil from the store, and asked me if it was just as good as fish oil. I couldn't explain why the fish was better, although I read exactly what you illustrated in the thread, I couldn't fully explain it I feel that a dose of fish oil and whole flaxseeds grounded up is the best way to go!

"As more and more people become aware of the importance of fat in their diet, there's growing interest in the benefits of flaxseed oil. Flaxseed oil is rich in a type of fat known as omega-3 (you'll also see it written as n-3).

Over the past few years, a number of studies have shown that fish oil (which is also high in omega-3 fatty acids) can reduce the risk of heart disease, lower your blood pressure, and also alleviate some of the symptoms of depression.

Because flaxseed oil also contains omega-3 fatty acids, it's easy to confuse the benefits of flaxseed oil with those of fish oil. However, what many don't realize is that the omega-3 fatty acids found in flax are not the same as those in fish.

Flaxseed oil
Fish oil contains two omega-3 fatty acids known as eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA) and docosahexaenoic acid (DHA). Flaxseed oil, on the other hand, is rich in alpha-linolenic acid, which is the "parent" fatty acid to DHA and EPA. Although similar in structure, the benefits of alpha-linolenic acid, EPA, and DHA are not the same.

Your body converts alpha-linolenic acid rapidly into EPA, and more slowly into DHA. Roughly 11 grams of alpha-linolenic acid is needed to produce one gram of DHA and EPA. However, other foods in your diet can easily put the brakes on this conversion process.

A diet that's rich in trans-fatty fatty acids, for instance, will "interfere" with the conversion of alpha-linolenic acid into EPA and DHA. Trans-fatty acids are found in foods such as cookies, some types of margarine, chips, cakes, and popcorn. When you see hydrogenated oil on the ingredients label of a food, there are probably some trans-fatty acids in there somewhere.

Balance
It's also very important to make sure that your diet contains the right balance of omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids. A healthy diet consists of roughly two to four times more omega-6 fatty acids than omega-3 fatty acids. In other words, for every four grams of omega-6 fatty acids, aim for at least one gram of omega-3 fatty acids.

Because traditional sources of fat (such as butter) have been replaced with vegetable oils (sunflower oil and corn oil, for example), the typical diet contains 14 to 25 times more omega-6 fatty acids than omega-3 fatty acids. A diet that contains too many omega-6 fatty acids at the expense of omega-3 fatty acids also limits the conversion of alpha-linolenic acid into EPA and DHA.

This doesn't mean there are no benefits of flaxseed oil. Foods high in alpha-linolenic acid (such as walnuts and flaxseed oil) are a useful addition to the diet of anyone who wants a leaner, healthier body. They should, however, be consumed as part of a diet containing high-fat, cold-water fish (such as salmon) and/or fish oil supplements."

I hope these help. =)

Old 08-19-2004, 08:40 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ano
A few comments here.

Flaxseed oil

Balance

Very helpful! My friend bought flaxseed oil from the store and asked me if it was better than fish oil, and I couldn't exactly find that info you just stated. I know I read it somewhere, and I had a hard time explaining it. Thanks!

I hope these help. =)

Old 08-19-2004, 08:43 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Very helpful! My friend bought some flax oil and asked me if it's better than fish oil. The explanation you just gave is exactly what I wanted to say, cause I know I read it somewhere, but couldn't remember exactly. Thanks!

Closed Thread