It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Vitamins & Supplements Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-25-2004, 12:58 PM   #1

euphoria5552000 HB User
Talking how to test a vitamin's effectiveness

I just learned this and thought I'd share it with the rest of you b/c it's a really good way to tell if the vitamin you are taking is actually being absorbed into your system....

To test your vitamin's effectivenss, drop one into a small glass of water, wait a half an hour and check it. The vitamin should be completely dissolved within this amount of time, and if its not, it's not doing anything.

I tried it with a few vitamins I had in the cabinet. Ironically, the GNC mega vitamin for women did not dissolve at all. Yet the walgreens brand multi active women's vitamin completely dissolved. Just goes to show you a more expensive vitamin doesn't mean a better one.

Old 06-25-2004, 02:12 PM   #2

johnx HB User
Re: how to test a vitamin's effectiveness

Thanks for the info.

Where did you hear about this? I really don't think that a glass of water can equal the hostile, bile filled environment of a stomach. Also, for the more powerful, time released vitamins, you don't want it all dissolving at once, but over the course of a few hours. But, I also don't know if it'll stay in the stomach or move on. ??

Anyway, I'd assume if a vitamin dissolves well in water, it will in the stomach. If it doesn't, I wouldn't assume it doesn't in the stomach. ... Come to think of it, I think I had heard that using vinegar would approximate the stomach's acidity.

Last edited by johnx; 06-25-2004 at 02:12 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-25-2004, 11:21 PM   #3

Kimberly315 HB User

The GNC vitamins are timed-release, so they're supposed to dissolve very slowly. Also, you should add some vinegar to the water to simulate the acidity of your stomach.

Old 06-26-2004, 04:22 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

CobaltBlue HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimberly315
The GNC vitamins are timed-release, so they're supposed to dissolve very slowly. Also, you should add some vinegar to the water to simulate the acidity of your stomach.
The vinegar is a good thought, but she probably needs to reach for the muriatic acid to get it closer to stomach pH.

Closed Thread