It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Vitamins & Supplements Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-28-2004, 07:49 PM   #1
Inactive

shue HB User
Thumbs down Cod liver oil.....PU!

We are giving my 3 1/2 year old daughter 1 T. of cod liver oil/day. SHe has autism and we have recently begun biomedical intervention and CLO is just one several things the allergist/MD has "prescribed."
Anyway, since we began with the fish oil, gone is my sweet smelling baby girl. She emits this fishy smell now, I think from her very pores! Her scalp definately smells like the fish oil. A small price to pay, if all these vitamins, etc. help her, but does anyone have any suggestions as to how to mask the smell? I've tried the old baby lotion behind the ears and even directly in her scalp, but to no avail.
Thanks.

Old 08-29-2004, 02:03 PM   #2
(female)

Kime HB User
Re: Cod liver oil.....PU!

Wow! Maybe she could take less cod liver oil and replace part of it with something like Essential Balance by Omega Nutrition which has nut and seed oils in it for the 3's and 6's. That is what we do, plus we use Coromega for the fish oil which tastes good, it's emulsified and in little packets and it tastes like orange sherbet. Our doctor just has anyone who has an objection to fish oil, such as people who are vegetarian, take the Essential Balance. Or maybe if you switched brands. Carlson's lemon cod liver oil isn't really fishy at all. Good luck with the biochemical treatment, we are doing the same with our son for schizophrenia and it is going pretty well except that he doesn't always comply with the diet so we have to keep an eye on him. (He is 17) I'd like to put in a good word for vitamin C. I'm sure that you are giving her vitamin C, but have you tried finding her bowel tolerance level to see if that helps her? I know that would be more tricky with such a young child, but as long as we keep our son up close to bowel tolerance levels his socialization is much better than when it falls to a lower level. He starts acting as if he were alone and not around other people when he isn't getting enough, which I know can be an autistic symptom.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-29-2004, 03:59 PM   #3
Inactive

shue HB User

Thanks for the input. I've heard good things about coromega. That is interesting about the C. Her lab results are just tricking in, we have an appt. with the MD on 9/7, but according to what I have received so far, she is deficient in C, which seems impossible since all she eats is fruit and all she drinks is juice. I am curious to see what he says. What does "Bowel Tolerance Level" mean?

Old 08-29-2004, 04:07 PM   #4

Miriam7 HB User
Smile Coromega...YUCK!

I tried that orange flavored Coromega...wow was that stuff bad! Tasted like...I'm not sure...rotten oranges? There is no way I could take that every day! Guess it goes to show you how people have different tastes.

I have discovered FISOL brand fish oil. It is enteric coated, so it doesn't dissolve until it gets past your stomach (to the intestines). My family and I have been taking it for a few months now, I take three tablets a day. None of us have ever had any fishy aftertaste, no heartburn or burping. It is a wonderful product. You can buy it online at most of the vitamin shops...just do a search for FISOL and you'll find it.

Good luck to you.

Old 08-29-2004, 04:47 PM   #5
Inactive

shue HB User

Thanks, LOL.
She has not learned to take a pill, so we are stuck with the delightful liquid.

Old 08-29-2004, 10:29 PM   #6
(female)

Kime HB User

Well, the thing I don't like about the tablets is that since you can't taste them there is no way to know if they are rancid or not, but a reputable company may have a way to make sure they can't go rancid, but I think any oil will go rancid if it happens to get into the wrong conditions for enough time, and you can't be sure how they have been stored. Our 8 year old son absolutely loves the coromega, I bet your daughter would like it, too. I'm afraid the essential balance doesn't taste so good, I mix mine with kefir or you can take OJ right before and after and that helps. But my husband likes the taste, he is a little strange that way.

If you take more vitamin C than your body needs the extra will not be absorbed in the intestines and this will cause osmotic pressure that draws more water into the intestines leading to diarrhea, the point just where you start to have diarrhea is called bowel tolerance. You actually don't need to have diarrhea, just a loose stool to show that you have reached bowel tolerance, but it is a little tricky hitting it right on the nose. The most dramatic effects of vitamin C happen right at that level. It is different for different people at different times depending on what stresses, illnesses, toxins or allergens that they are being exposed to. It isn't dangerous but with a small child I would build up very gradually to find what worked best and you probably don't quite want to reach the diarrhea stage. Our 8 year old son takes 2.25 grams in the morning and evening, with more if he is fighting a cold or something. You could start with 500 mg three times a day and gradually build up if you wanted to try it. We use ascorbic acid powder mixed in juice. 1/8 teaspoon would be between 500 and 600 mg so you could mix 1/4 teaspoon in a cup of juice and divide it in half for two doses. People under stress have a greater need for vitamin C so I am not surprised that she is low. Our (17 year old, not the 8 year old) son needs between 80-100 grams a day to reach tolerance, which is much higher than usual.

Last edited by Kime; 08-30-2004 at 08:59 AM.

Old 08-30-2004, 05:37 AM   #7
Inactive

shue HB User

Interesting. Thanks Kime. I am going to ask him about the C when we go in. Abby has had maybe a handful of firm stools in her little life. If that's TMI, I'm sorry.
I have always wondered about the possible connection between that and her bigtime fruit consumption.

Old 09-07-2004, 05:09 AM   #8

cjdpa HB User

Good fish oil should not taste fishy....poor manufacture,storage and light will cause oxidation and make it smell. Best fish oil I have found....my kids love it....is Nordic Naturals brand. Many different formulations for different needs. I come is a YUMMY liquid my kids take without a fuss. I store in the fridge.

Old 09-10-2004, 06:19 AM   #9
Inactive

zip2play HB User

I LOVE the taste of my Cod Liver Oil (Norwegian oil from Twin Lab I believe.) The plain tastes really nice but oy, the "mint" and "cherry" flavors are disgusting.

shue,
If she doesn't mind the taste, why not try to get used to the smell of your darling little filet!

Old 10-19-2004, 05:40 PM   #10

green380 HB User

The best cod liver oil one can consume is Carlson's. You will never taste fishy, in fact the oil doesn't even taste like fish it taste like lemon.

Closed Thread