It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Vitamins & Supplements Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-06-2004, 11:43 AM   #1
(female)

Willow Star HB User
Unhappy Worried that it's too much - can anyone help?

Hi,

I wondered if someone could please tell me if it is safe to take a multivitamin as well as a B Complex vitamin? I have been through an unbelievable amount of stress this last year (personal / health) and am struggling to keep my head above water. I am so tired all the time and have no energy.

I currently take a multivitamin along with 400 IU of Vitamin E and and 250 mg of Vitamin C. My doc said to try a B complex vitamin but I don't know if it is safe to take the B Complex with a multivitamin or if I should stick to just one or the other. Will it be too much B? Is there something else you would recommend? I have also been told I have a fatty liver and worry about that as well...I really need some help and appreciate any advice you can give...

Willow

Last edited by Willow Star; 09-06-2004 at 11:44 AM.

Old 09-06-2004, 12:02 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gopherhead HB User
Re: Worried that it's too much - can anyone help?

Willow, unless you are taking a multi with a huge amount of B's it shouldn't be a problem. If you're taking a regular multi (a la centrum or generic centrum) you'll be OK. The amount of vitamin / mineral contained in a Multi is usually very close to the RDA, which is barely enough to do you any good. For example, the amount of vit C in most multi's hardly protects you from getting scurvy.

Most of the B's can be tolerated in pretty high amounts with little ill effect. B Complex pills usually come in either 50 or 100 sizes, refering to the amount of the vitamin, not the number of pills per bottle. If in doubt, get the 50. You would also benefit from more vitamin C, either as a time released pill or by taking a few more of your 250 mg size throughout the day to the tune of 1000mg (the body can only absorb and use so much of the C at one time so taking mega doses on a continual basis is wasting your money [amd your Vit C!] and it can also interfer with your body's ability to absorb other necessary minerals and vitamins.) A lot of "Stress Formula" vitamins are B complex with added C in a time release format; this would be a good choice for you.

HTH
Nat

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-06-2004, 01:54 PM   #3
(female)

Willow Star HB User

Hi Nat

Thank you so much for your reply. I am totally over my head with this stuff and really just want to start feeling better. I don't know the difference between B50 and B100. The B Complex does have the added Vitamin C like you said. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't going to keel over or anything lol. By adding the B Complex it looks like I will end up with twice as much of the B's (in total) as I was getting from the multi and a few of the B's will be a bit more than double. I guess the best thing to do would be take the multi in the morning and the B Complex in the afternoon and throw in the C&E for good luck! haha.

Honestly though, thank you for clearing that up for me. I just want to feel better and hope the B vitamins can give me the boost I need. Any and all help is very much appreciated.

Willow

Old 09-06-2004, 05:42 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gopherhead HB User
Post Re: Worried that it's too much - can anyone help?

You're welcome

Just to clarify for you: the difference between the B50 and the B100 is that most (not all) of the vitamins will have either 50 mg (mcg) or 100mg (mcg), respectively.

If you do a little rearch online for RDA's on the B's you should put your mind to rest. I have a great website but you cannot post links on these forums.

For Your Information:

RDA for B1 (thiamin) is 1.5mg - it can be tolerated at levels 2 to 3 times higher than this.
RDA for B2 (Riboflavin) is 1.7mg - it can be tolerated at levels several times this (this is the B vit that turns urine very yellow )
RDA for B3 (Niacin) is 20mg, but it can be tolerated at much higher levels and is often used to help lower cholesterol in very large doses - it can cause flushing of the skin, however. This typically doesnt happen until you reach 100mg.
RDA for B5 (PantothenicAcid) has not been established; however the adequate intake (AI) is set at 5 mg for adult males and females. Doses larger than 10g can cause diarrhea.
RDA for B6 (Pyridoxine) is 2mg, doses higher than 500mg can cause adverse reactions
RDA for B12 (Cobalamin) is 6mcg - there are no noted adverse reactions with very high doses of this vitamin. B12 injections typically contain 3000mcg, FYI.

If you're looking for a little more energy try adding ginseng to your regime. There are a few types (siberian, panax, C.A. Meyer) but they are all adaptogens that helps with moods, energy, libido, immune function and cognitive function.

BTW, have you had a complete physical lately? There are many conditions that could leave you feeling drained, tired and out of energy.

Nat

Old 09-06-2004, 07:49 PM   #5
(female)

Kime HB User

It's a great idea to take the Bs. We take B-50s in our house plus other vitamins, including a lot more C and more of a couple of the B vitamins. My son takes 2 grams of niacin (in Niacinamide form, which doesn't cause flush.)a day because he has an illness that is helped by niacin, my husband takes extra C and niacin for asthma. The B vitamins are hard to overdose on because the body can easily excrete what it doesn't want. You could easily take 2-4 B-50 capsules a day plus your multivitamin without ever coming withing miles of having a problem although a lot of what you were taking would probably not be used by your body and so it would be a waste to take that much. If a person needs more of a specific vitamin it is easy to take it separately. Just for an interesting side note, if you don't remember your dreams, B6 will make you remember them when you take enough of it, enough is different for different people, or if you already remember your dreams it will make your dreams more vivid! We have tried this and it is true. It is normal to remember your dreams, so not remembering them can be a sign that you need more B6.

Old 10-26-2005, 07:47 AM   #6
(female)

mandmonthego HB User

I would like to know about taking a one a day weight smart and a Super B-Complex together.

B1 1.9mg & 100mg
B2 2.125mg & 20mg
B3 25mg & 25mg
B5 12.5mg & 5mg
B6 2.5mg & 2mg
B12 7.5mcg & 15mcg

IS this a safe combination??

Old 11-01-2005, 12:43 PM   #7
(female)

Kime HB User

Mandmonthego,

The amounts you are showing us are small. You could take a lot more and not have any problem.

Kime

Closed Thread