It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Vitamins & Supplements Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-20-2004, 09:53 AM   #1
(female)

joykr27 HB User
Whole vitamin in bowel movement?

What does it mean to have a whole vitamin come out in the toilet? Embarrasing but curious enough to know if this has ever happened to anyone else and if anyone knows why.
Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-20-2004, 10:08 AM   #2

PeggyHarmon HB User
Re: Whole vitamin in bowel movement?

i would say you aren't digesting...your stomach acids aren't breaking it down, or its expired and no good and isn't being absorbed before you pass it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-20-2004, 11:30 AM   #3
Inactive

peregrine HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by joykr27
What does it mean to have a whole vitamin come out in the toilet? Embarrasing but curious enough to know if this has ever happened to anyone else and if anyone knows why.
Thanks
I have wondered about this myself. Most one a day vitamins come in a hard tablet and I've always wondered if it actually breaks down. I have heard reports that it is not uncommon for it not to. I found one product that was a gel cap at the HFS but it had iron in it, which wasn't good for me. I do think that a lot of money is probably being wasted because we are ingesting things that are not actually being absorbed.

Old 09-22-2004, 02:15 PM   #4

jossy HB User

I have heard that many brands of vitamins won't absorb at all, this coming from waste treatment facilitys, who see vitamins floating around in the sewage. I would do some research in vitamen supplements , try forums. hope this has helped.

Old 09-22-2004, 11:37 PM   #5
Inactive

ps630 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jossy
I have heard that many brands of vitamins won't absorb at all, this coming from waste treatment facilitys, who see vitamins floating around in the sewage. I would do some research in vitamen supplements , try forums. hope this has helped.

I would'nt beleive that for 1 minute. How would the treatment facility workers know if they were vitamins or not? this is getting out of hand. Just try taking a B complex hard capsule. If you pee flourescent yellow- then chances are- the vitamins are breaking down and being absorbed.

Old 09-23-2004, 11:45 AM   #6
(female)

Solange1965 HB User

Actually it is quite common for the tablets to remain whole and not dissolve. I recently discovered same after taking an antihistamine tablet! I had not been getting any relief for sometime and then realized why.

So I take my vitamins in a clear capsule or powdered form. As I have posted here in another place, I take my Vitamin B-12(1,000mcgs) sublingual, under the tongue which dissolves right into my blood stream. That also contains 400 of Folic Acid, Biotin and B-6.

Consider taking vitamins in geltabs. But the hard tablets are not dependable and you are indeed flushing your $$....

Old 09-23-2004, 07:48 PM   #7
(male)

Dave64 HB User

My understanding is that some pills only absorb 10-25%. You may want to look into liquid or powder vitamins. God bless! Dave

Old 09-23-2004, 11:51 PM   #8
Inactive

ps630 HB User

How come no one ever wonders if any prescription drugs ever disolve? Try taking a controlled substance and lets see if u just toot it out.Vitamins will be dislolved just like the expensive prescription drugs you all take.

Old 09-24-2004, 04:50 AM   #9
(male)

greensky HB User

I can’t help but think you must be using a very poor brand. Try putting a vitamin pill in a glass of cold water. Mine dissolve very easily, and this is just water. Not that there is anything wrong in taking powder vitamins. They are cheaper (or should be) but I do find it more of a hassle.

Old 09-24-2004, 06:58 AM   #10
(female)

joykr27 HB User

Thank you all for your reply's. You are very helpful

Old 09-24-2004, 07:36 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

I just wanted to mention that it could be the make up of the med itself,as in the way it is delivered?i know that with oxycontin, you will see what are called 'ghost matrixs'" in your stool.It appears like the whole tab and looks as though it never broke down,but the medication is actually leached out during the course of many hours.what is left behind is the wax matrix.Just a thought.Hope this helps.Marcia

Closed Thread