It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Vitamins & Supplements Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-08-2004, 09:43 PM   #1
(female)

glo81 HB User
Gaba or 5-htp

Which herb is better for mood, stress and sleep problems? Gaba or 5-hpt? I am taking 750 mgs of Gaba and 50 mgs. of 5-hpt. They are low doses. I can't take them both because together they make me too groggy. I have to make a choice. How do I decide? I started both of them around the same time. I'm also taking L-tyrosine 500mgs. in the morning with a b-complex. Any advice or opinions are appreciated.

Last edited by glo81; 11-08-2004 at 09:45 PM.

Old 11-09-2004, 07:14 AM   #2
(female)

Kime HB User
Re: Gaba or 5-htp

I think you will have to experiment around a bit to find what works best for you, try one, and then the other and see what results you get. Everyone is different.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-27-2004, 01:57 PM   #3

Sasha242326 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by glo81
Which herb is better for mood, stress and sleep problems? Gaba or 5-hpt? I am taking 750 mgs of Gaba and 50 mgs. of 5-hpt. They are low doses. I can't take them both because together they make me too groggy. I have to make a choice. How do I decide? I started both of them around the same time. I'm also taking L-tyrosine 500mgs. in the morning with a b-complex. Any advice or opinions are appreciated.
I got off Celexa which I had been taking for two years. I discovered a natural mineral supplement that is over the counter; is is called lithium orotate (it uses only trace amounts of lithium like you would get in food or a proper diet, where foods aren't depleted of natural minerals - {REMOVED} it is effective and very low cost). For me it stopped life-long panic/anxiety and I sleep better. And for my close friend it stopped his life-long social anxiety- we are both shocked and very happy to find something this great that is natural, with no side effects. We both also noticed an increased energy and mental focus. You feel more like the real you is something we both noticed. The real you w/out panic, etc. It is used by 5 million people world-wide for a good 60 years, with a great track record;mostly for mood and stress problems of varying degrees. Although recently since quitting the Celexa a month and a half ago, I am having some sleep problems. I have also just added 5HTP a few days ago and something is making me quite sluggish. I was told by a doctor familiar with all of these alternatives that I need to take zinc with the 5HTP or I was wasting my money on the 5HTP. I was also reading that if you take the 5HTP you should also take tyrosine as you are, but it seems to cause me to get depressed. I am also going to look into the GABBA. Good luck! I hope I have given you some additional options. I also am using TryptoZen, which is a bioactive milk peptite derived from cassein that is neural supportive. It reduces stress and anxiety and has clinical trials behind it. I was able to cold turkey Celexa by using this product (I dont recommend cold turkey with SSRI's even though I did it) Good luck. I am having unusual tiredness but I believe it is from withdrawing. I hear Celexa withdrawals can take up to a year and part of it can be being very tired and sluggish. A dose of good old fashioned Calcium/Magnesium can also help sleep; it has helped mine.
Best of Luck, Sasha

Last edited by ms_mod; 11-27-2004 at 02:45 PM. Reason: Please don't post website addresses. Please read the posting rules. Thanks, ms_mod

Old 11-28-2004, 02:35 PM   #4
(female)

glo81 HB User

Thank you for the extra info on Gaba and 5-Htp. I ordered calcium Magnesium with 50 mgs of zinc and Magnesium with 99mgs of Potassium all of this adds up to 1500mgs of calcium and 900 mgs of magnesium. I should be getting this any day now. I didn't know you had to take zinc with 5-htp. I do know that you have to take 200mgs of B-3 with 5-htp. I will deffinately look for lithium orotate. I didn't know anything about this. I don't see this advertised anywhere.

Thanx, Glo

Old 12-02-2004, 08:48 AM   #5
(female)

glo81 HB User

Hello again, I don't know what's up with the tyrosine. Ever since I added it, it seems as if I'm feeling depressed also. I'm also not sure when to take this. I read in the nutrition book that I'm suppose to take this at night. But I read somewhere else I'm suppose to take this in the morning. I'm now taking 500mgs tyrosine, 750mgs Gaba, 50htp Calcium and magnesium with 60mgs of zinc and 400mgs of CoQ10. I also feel anxious and irritable yet sluggish. What is causing this?Is this an interaction?

Old 12-22-2004, 12:42 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

tallgirl1982 HB User

Gaba will probably be ineffective for mood problems as it doesnt cross the blood brain barrier, whereas 5HTP does, it also raises levels on serotonin so it will help lift depression and anxiety, but at the start it can cause anxiety so go slow.
There is a product called picamillon, it has GABA init but also has niacin which is a vitamin B, and that vitamin does cross the brain barrier!! so it brings the GABA with it! so you achieve a calming effect! which helps relaxation and calm. You can not take the 2 seperatly though as picamilom is chemically bonded so it works properly.

The q10 is used for fattigue and may make u anxious, the best thing to take is the picamilon for anxiety and a B complex with 5htp.
You should try the 5htp alone first to se how it effects u as it can give anxiety to start then add a B complex and the picamilon for anxiety.

Also you can try Valerian a herb at night which is good for sleep, and take the 5htp in the morning not the evening if you do it the other way. Also meletonin regulates sleep patterns.

I would dump the tyrosin and Q10 for now, less is more sometimes u dont want to take too much!!

Old 12-23-2004, 09:50 AM   #7
(female)

glo81 HB User

Hi Tallgirl1982,
Thank you for the advice on these herbs. You sound very knowledgable. I'm just confused about one thing. Why doesn't gaba cross the brain barrier? It deffinately has a calming effect.

Thanx GLO

Old 12-23-2004, 12:27 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

tallgirl1982 HB User

If you take it with the 5htp it might get a bit across the brain barrier, mabie a little might anyway but it isnt as effective unless its with the niacin. Some get a placebo effect

Old 12-23-2004, 08:46 PM   #9
(female)

glo81 HB User

I have a multivitamin that has 62.5mgs of niacin in it. The serving size is 2 capsuls. I take one in the morning and one at night. So I'm taking the 750 mgs of Gaba, cut down to 25 mgs. of 5-htp at night and the 1 capsul of multivitamin at night will have 31.25mgs of niacin. I also take vit. B-complex 100 during day for energy. Calcium/magnesium/ zinc and potassium at night. I was told Calcium/magnesium at night is good for sleep and potassium is good for acid reflux that I have. Am I taking too many vitamins/herbs and minerals? I looked them up and they all are nontoxic and they are minimal dosages. I took 200mgs Kava Kava for a week very calm effect but found out this causes severe liver damage. So I stopped it right away. I'm kinda looking for an alternative to antidepressants which I can't take the side effects. They have negative effects on me and seem to cause more problems. I suffer from cronic depression and I can't sleep and have no energy during the day. But I function so people don't really know about my depression problem. I tried Same' and St. Johns wart and got nothing for results. I did stay on them over 2 mths. They don't work for me. The gaba and 5htp help me to relax and sleep but I wake up groggy the next day. So that's how I got started on the L-tyrosine and the CoQ10 and the B-complex. So I would have energy during the day. I just wanted to give you a better picture of why I take these herbs and minerals. Kinda self medication. I hope you can give me some feedback to what I wrote. I am continueing to learn more and absorb any information I can get. I apoligize for being so long.
Thanx again, Glo

Old 12-24-2004, 01:16 AM   #10
Veteran
(female)

tallgirl1982 HB User

I think a good multivitamin that contains a bit of everything is a good start. Extra B vitamins wont hurt either, but all the calcium and extra stuff should be in the multi, its never good taking too much. The vitamin B 100 is too much! you dont need that much in your system, it will end up flushing most of it out anyway.
I would try the picamilon for anxiety it may help you alot! L-theanine is good for mild anxiety too. Keep going with the 5htp.

St johns is a great herb!! it varies on which one you use, some are rubbish and others are great
Enada nadh is good for depression and fatigue! i would give it a go and drop the tyrosine and Q10, but thats just what i would do you dont have to if you dont want to.
And try valerian at night if you need sleep.

5htp, multivitamin, Lower dose B complex, picamilon for anxiety, Enada nadh, valerian on occassions

Old 12-24-2004, 10:26 AM   #11
(female)

glo81 HB User

Thank you for the advice. I can't take the L-theanine because it has camella flower in it and I'm alergic to ragweed. But I took your advice and went ahead and ordered the picamilon from San Diego. They don't have anywhere around me that has picamilon. Must be hard to get. The Nadh is very expensive. It's $20 for 30 day supply of 5mgs. but I read that a person needs 20mgs a day to feel effects. So that's only a one week supply for $20. I hope you don't mind me asking but are you from England? How did you get so familiar with nutrition? Thanks again for your advice and I'll let you know how I make out.

Glo

Old 12-24-2004, 11:55 AM   #12
Veteran
(female)

tallgirl1982 HB User

L-theanine is from green tea, did you mean chamomile flower? as it doesnt have that in it.
The nadh is expensive i admit! as long as u dont take too much of everything as it can be less effective that way too as your body doesnt need it all and you can cause deficiencys in other areas by taking alot!!
The 5htp, multi and lower dose B complex would be an everyday thing.
But the picamilon you can use for times of anxiety and the Valerian for occassional sleep probs, dont abuse the valerian.

I do live in england! i have researched alot of this for over a year as i had anxiety probs! so i learnt alot!!! but i got over most of mine by just getting out there more which helped alot so i am ok in many ways now! i bought tons of vitamins but never really took them much so i have a big stash of them going to waste! which is a shame! LOL!!

But i admit i have a dentist appointment and need fillings and i am VERY frightened!! i will have to see the doctor about valium or something although i have never taken it so i am freaking about that too!!
What a carry on!!

Old 12-25-2004, 05:16 AM   #13
(female)

glo81 HB User

Hello again, Yes I mean chamolile flower. The L-Theanine I got had that in it with 250 gaba and 10mgs 5-htp. Right away I got an alergic reaction. I too have a stack of vitamins minerials and herbs I can't use. What a waste of money and space. The valerian root doesn't work for me. I can't wait for my shipment to come in so I can try the new stuff. Thanks for all your help. Don't worry about the denist. If all your getting is fillings it's not bad at all. I had two and it was nothing. Good luck and stay calm.

Glo

Old 12-25-2004, 06:23 AM   #14
Veteran
(female)

tallgirl1982 HB User

They do L-theanine with just that in it and nothing else, you will find it on the net. Its mild but nice.
Meletonin will probably be good for sleep! it regulates a sleeping hormone, start on a low dose though and try and space all the vitamins out when taking them.
Take the 5htp and vitamin B together! that will be good!! And the L-theanine is great with Vitamin B6 or a B complex!

good luck!!

Claire

Old 12-29-2004, 10:19 PM   #15

Paracelsus HB User

L-theanine is amazing. It is what makes up about 2% by weight of green tea and it is what causes the calming effect through GABA receptor action. It's expensive but worth every penny.

GABA itself is non-polar so it doesn't cross the BBB very well. GHB is the derivative that crosses it like hellfire and could put you in a coma, although it's just a modified GABA with a hydrogen in the gamma position of the amino acid. GABA is the only inhibitory neuroreceptor in the brain. Tolerance is expected but withdrawl is not a huge concern.

GABATROPIN is not quite gaba and not quite GHB. GHB is illegal, and phenibut is not scheduled. It's derived from a plant in russia and modified. Instead of a hydrogen atom at the gamma position, it has a phenyl ring; thus it is polar and crosses the BBB at a moderate rate. Tolerance can be achieved if taken regularly for 2-4 weeks. It's more of a "use as needed". It's fairly expensive but works great. Its also called "phenibut".

5-HTP is awesome and it will put you to sleep. No question that this should be tried at different doses until you get an effect.

Quality of sleep is improved by ZMA, which is just a proprietary blend of zinc, magnesium, and vit b6. Do not take this with calcium because they competitively bind. ZMA is cheap and helps.

Coleus Forskolli. This is a good feeling, calming, mood enhancing ayuverdic that is one of the oldest extracts around (forskolin). The quality of different extracts vary widely and the only one that seems to get it right every time is from a certain "vitamin shoppe" online.

Passiflora (Passion Flower)- Its cheap and its a natural MAOI. It is supposed to enhance mood and sleep. Its not one of my favorites but it could be yours.

KavaKava- This is awesome. There is some literature on its possibly dangerous effects on kidneys but they are all unsubstantiated and I'm skeptical of them. Kava is cheap and works fast, and works well. It's one of my favorites.

Valerian IS the cheapest thing to try. Its not one of my favorites but it could be great for someone else.

Of course nobody wants the following "opinion", but cardio, flexibility training, weight training, and nutrition should also be on your schedule to improve sleep and mood.

I also realize that all of the diet and nutrition won't change poor genetics. If you have insurance you could ask your doctor. The last resort is benzodiazapenes and hypnotics for sleep, and SSRI's for anything (evil!). I like MAOI's but nobody else seems to

Oh and some wild cards for mood: Rhodiola Rosea and Chocamine

Closed Thread