HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Vitamins & Supplements (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/vitamins-supplements/)
-   -   Taking some new Vitamins, wondering if its too much? (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/vitamins-supplements/251205-taking-some-new-vitamins-wondering-if-its-too-much.html)

smullen 02-08-2005 11:21 PM

Taking some new Vitamins, wondering if its too much?

I'm 31 years old and pretty out of shape. I'm 6'5" and weight right under 300LBS...

I have decided that I need to get in a lot better shape if I want to reuce the risk of serious health problems as I get older....

Besides getting a lot more excersise (riding a bike and fast walking) I'm altering my eating habits to try to eat better or more healthy maybe taking some vitamins...

I have noticed a pretty big difference in the way I feel, latley.. I don't feel as run down, I'm in better moods and just have a more energetic feeling.

I'm not sure if this is due to the increased excersise, better eating, the vitimins or the combo of all the above...

On to my point and question (sorry, I tend to ramble).

I have been taking a Multi-Vitamin that comes in a box with a lil package for each day.

In it there are 5 Vitamins,

1 Time released Multi-Vitamin Caplet (Contains 23 Various Nutrients)
1 Vitamin C Caplet (1200 mg)
1 Vitamin E Softgel (900 I.U.)
1 Panax Ginseng Caplet (100 mg)
1 Chromium Picolinate Tablet (425 mcg)

Plus, I was taking
1 Green Tea (315 mg)
1 Chromium Picolinate Tablet ( 500 mcg)

The reason I was taking two or the second tablet was, I did not realize there was Chromium Picolinate in the 5PK...

Now my question is (Finally, I ge to it) am I taking to much Chromium Picolinate??? If so what can happen?

As I said above, the vitiamins, exercise and eating better seem to be helping me, but I don't want to do more harm than good by over doing some vitimains...

Your thoughts???

smullen 02-09-2005 06:45 AM

Re: Taking some new Vitamins, wondering if its too much?

Bump

15 Reads and no replys???

Harry 02-09-2005 12:46 PM

The daily requirement for Chromium is 200mcgms--- I think you are taking too much of this mineral daily!!

What is the brand name of the Pack -- I am curious about the 23 Various Nutrients??

Eating better, and exercise is always good for YOU

I wish you well---Harry

smullen 02-09-2005 05:05 PM

[QUOTE=Harry]The daily requirement for Chromium is 200mcgms--- I think you are taking too much of this mineral daily!!

What is the brand name of the Pack -- I am curious about the 23 Various Nutrients??

Eating better, and exercise is always good for YOU

I wish you well---Harry[/QUOTE]

The brand name is [b]YourLife[/b] The package is called the Daily Pak Maximum Multi-Vitamin, with Herbs and Minerals.

[ [b] please do not post commercial websites - use brand names only [/b] ]

TheHappyMan 03-29-2005 10:21 PM

Smullen..... After reading your post I think you have some work to do, BUT it sounds like you are on top of things....
First things, First...... BEFORE you undertake any Vitamin Dosing... You need to get your weight down to a healthy place.

TheHappyMan 03-29-2005 10:25 PM

Smullen..... After reading your post I think you have some work to do, BUT it sounds like you are on top of things....
First things, First...... BEFORE you undertake any Vitamin Dosing... You need to get your weight down to a healthy place, (which maybe it already is) for your height and build. ;) ;)

smullen 03-29-2005 10:33 PM

[QUOTE=TheHappyMan]Smullen..... After reading your post I think you have some work to do, BUT it sounds like you are on top of things....
First things, First...... BEFORE you undertake any Vitamin Dosing... You need to get your weight down to a healthy place.[/QUOTE]

Yea, I have plenty of work to do....

I've completly cut out all fast food, all soda, all sweatend tea, all snacks after dinner except for fruits and veggies...

I'm mostly eating a lot of Salads, fruits, and either baked/Broiled Chicken or Turkey... Haven't ate a hamburger or steak in 2 months...

Also, I've been riding my mountin bike 5-8 miles a few times a week...

I was right at 300lbs and now I'm bouncing around 265-270....

Still have a lot to go, I know... I want to drop from a tight 40/32 to a loose 38/32 and from an 3XL shirt to a 2XL... Lotta work I know...

TheHappyMan 03-30-2005 09:38 AM

Way to go Smullen - Sounds like you are off to a good start and it sounds like you will make it.

When I was 14 years old (a long long time ago) I lost 74 pounds in just 3 months just by putting less into my mouth. I went from a 42" waist to a 32" waist. I went from 223 down to 149 (I was only 5"4" at the time) and here we are 40 years later and I have only gained back 20 pounds.

And You can and will do it too........ :D :D :D

orion 04-09-2005 07:31 PM

[QUOTE=smullen]I'm 31 years old and pretty out of shape. I'm 6'5" and weight right under 300LBS...

Your thoughts???[/QUOTE]

Losing weight is hard to do, but keeping it off is even harder. Do your weight loss slowly and try to avoid any high sugar foods because those make you feel hungry. Never eat food 4 hours before bed because that kills your growth hormone which is necessary in adults for proper fat distribution. Low growth hormone leads to central fat concentrations.

I would say you are taking too much vitamin E (especially since recent studies show that alpha vitamin E depletes other forms, 400IU is reasonable until the new forms of vitamin E are ready). I think 400mcg of Chromium Picolinate would be reasonable expecially since you probably already having blood sugar questions. You are taking more than that so I think you should cut back.

Increase your vitamin D to 1000IU/day and add selenium and zinc.