It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Vitamins & Supplements Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-12-2005, 08:07 PM   #1
(female)

grablife365 HB User
Is there a little to the herbs I can take?

Is there certain herbs and vitamins that cannot be taken together? I'm wanting to start getting my body in order. I want to take calcium, zinc, wild palmetto and a couple of other things along with a multivitamin. I have been searching online (maybe not well enough) and I haven't found anything that says you can't take a bunch of different things at the same time. If anyone can help me I would love it.

Old 06-13-2005, 08:58 PM   #2
Veteran
(male)

TheHappyMan HB UserTheHappyMan HB User
Re: Is there a little to the herbs I can take?

Quote:
Originally Posted by grablife365
Is there certain herbs and vitamins that cannot be taken together? I'm wanting to start getting my body in order. I want to take calcium, zinc, wild palmetto and a couple of other things along with a multivitamin. I have been searching online (maybe not well enough) and I haven't found anything that says you can't take a bunch of different things at the same time. If anyone can help me I would love it.
Maybe this will be of some help...... These are some VERY generalized suggestions, none of which will probably affect you. Youre right, most herbs and vitamins are safe to take together......

1. Pain Medications
Sometimes herbs and acupuncture can neutralize the effect of pain drugs. For example, patients on neurontin or morphine need to be treated differently. Acupuncture in these patients should be of shorter duration with less stimulation and subtler point selections (like eight extra points, e.g.). Moxibustion is a helpful alternative.

2. Chinese Licorice
Gan cao (chinese licorice) is sometimes problematic… it is in many herb formulas, but in low dosages. Higher dosages can lead to fluid retention. Gan cao can also reduce the absorption of oral tetracycline and some other meds, and can offset the pharmacological effect of spironolactone. The rule of separating the dosage times of herbs and drugs solves this problem.

3. Tannins
Tannins are insoluble with antibiotics. A few herbs such as Da Huang (rhubarb), He Zi, and Mo Yao (Myrrh) contain tannins. Tannic acids may inhibit the absorption of iron.

4. Glycosides
Glycosides, which are active ingredients in many herbs, are neutralized by acidic drugs. That means that, for example, Vitamin C (ascorbic acid) and nicotinic acid could prevent your herbs from working.

5. Blood-thinners
Patients on warfarin (coumadin) are most at risk for problems from drug-herb interactions. Warfarin is given to thin the blood, thus preventing the likelihood of clots blocking blood vessels in the heart, lungs, or brain. Warfarin's dosage needs to be quite exact to work, so we don't want any herbs affecting it. Herbs and herbal formulas that contain blood movers must be avoided. This includes, among others, herbs dan shen (salvia), dang gui (angelica), and yan hu suo (corydalis), and herb formulas like xue fu zhu yu tang, di dan tang, and tao he cheng qi tang. Feverfew, garlic, Ginkgo, ginger, and ginseng may alter bleeding time, and so they also should be avoided by patients on warfarin.

6. Dan Shen (Salvia)
Salvia (see #5) can also reduce the effectiveness of anti-ulcer drugs.

7. Surgery and Herbs
It's a good idea to stop taking herbs 5 days before surgery, and then after surgery take herbs only to rebuild the body.

8. Drugs for the Heart
Ma Huang (ephedra) should not be taken (even in an herbal formula) if your are on digitalis or any other heart drugs. It also reduces the effectiveness of anti-anxiety and sedative drugs, and increases the cardiovascular effects of caffeine. Kyushin, gan cao (licorice), plantain, uzara root, shan zha (hawthorn), and ren shen (ginseng) may interfere with digoxin.

9. St. John's Wort
Studies have shown that patients who take St. John's Wort while on a Selective Serotonin Re-uptake Inhibiting (SSRI) anti-depressant end up with varying blood levels of drugs. This means it interferes with the effectiveness of your anti-depressant. Because its mode of action is not understood, it should be avoided with monoamine oxidase inhibitors and SSRI's.

10. Ginseng
Ginseng plus phenelzine sulfate may cause headache, tremulousness, and manic episodes. Ginseng should not be used with estrogens or corticosteroids.

11. Valerian
Valerian should not be combined with barbituates.

12. Kelp
Kelp as a source of iodine may interfere with thyroid replacement therapies.

13. Echinacea
Echinacea could cause liver toxicity and therefore should not be used with other known liver toxic drugs, such as anabolic steroids, amiodarone, methotrexate, and ketoconazole

14. Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs
May negate the usefulness of feverfew in the treatment of migraine headaches

15. Kava
Kava when used with alprazolam has resulted in coma

16. Evening primrose oil and borage
Should not be used with anticonvulsants because they may lower the seizure threshold.

17. Rhubarb and Aloe
Both Rhubarb and Aloe cause loss of potassium through the stool... this may increase the side effects of cardiac glycosides and antiarrhythmic drugs.

18. Astragalus (huang qi)
May oppose immunosupressive drugs, because it tends to improve immune function.

The Following User Says Thank You to TheHappyMan For This Useful Post:
MStified (09-05-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-16-2005, 10:08 PM   #3
(female)

grablife365 HB User

Thank you so much for all the information,TheHappyMan!! I really appreciate it. Suggestions and advice are still welcome.

Old 07-06-2005, 07:18 AM   #4
(female)

garfield girl HB User

TheHappyMan

I know this is a delay response but just found your information.
Want to say THANKYOU for taking all the time to compile this list. It is very helpful.
It is people like you (who know) that help people like me (confused).
Again Thanks.

Old 07-06-2005, 01:06 PM   #5
Veteran
(male)

TheHappyMan HB UserTheHappyMan HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by garfield girl
TheHappyMan

I know this is a delay response but just found your information.
Want to say THANKYOU for taking all the time to compile this list. It is very helpful.
It is people like you (who know) that help people like me (confused).
Again Thanks.
You are so Welcome

Closed Thread