It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Vitamins & Supplements Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-25-2005, 03:40 PM   #1
(male)

Newguy912 HB User
What does potassium do?

I have a question. How much potassium should you take daily... and what exactly does it do/prevent. I mean by bones are always cracking, sometimes I can crack my ankle without even trying. Iím only 14 bye the way. Can someone like tell me how much potassium I need or how many glasses of milk I should drink.

Old 06-26-2005, 04:29 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Misty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB User
Re: What does potassium do?

Potassium should be from a balanced diet. Never take potassium supplements unless the doctor prescribes it (potassium supplements are very hard on the stomach). It is easy to get the body's electrical system out of balance by taking potassium supplements when you do not need it. The balance of potassium and sodium is crucial and a delicate balance.

The recommended daily allowance of potassium for a teenager is 2000 milligrams daily from food. A typical American's daily intake of potassium is about 4000 milligrams. Unless you are having excessive losses of potassium from your body such as diarrhea or vomiting, you should not have a problem with getting enough potassium from your diet. Also, as long as your kidneys are working properly, you need not be concerned about getting in too much potassium from foods. The kidneys will get rid of any excess potassium consumed.

Potassium is essential for maintaining proper fluid balance, nerve impulse function, muscle function, cardiac (heart muscle) function.

Potassium is found in bananas, raisins, apricots, oranges, avacadoes, dates, cantaloupe, watermelon, prunes, broccoli, spinach, carrots, potato, sweet potato, winter squash, mushrooms, peas, lentils, dried beans, peanuts, milk, yogurt, lean meats. Orange juice is a good source.

Potassium helps your muscles and nerves function properly. Maintains proper electrolyte and acid-base balance in your body and helps lower risk of high blood pressure.

Here are some of the things that may indicate a need for more high-potassium foods: muscle weakness, confusion, irritability, fatigue, heart problems, chronic diarrhea, regular intense exercise, using diuretics.

Potassium is found in many foods, and easy to obtain in fruits and vegetables. Excellent sources of potassium include chard, button mushrooms, and spinach.

Potassium is very important in cellular biochemical reactions and energy metabolism. Potassium also functions in carbohydrate metabolism; it is active in glycogen and glucose metabolism, converting glucose to glycogen that can be stored in the liver for future energy. Potassium is important for normal growth and for building muscle.

Calcium is needed for your bones. About 1300 mg. calcium from your diet or equivalent to 4 servings milk (8 oz. glass each). You will also need vitamin D which is obtained from about 10-15 minutes in sunshine or from foods with D added. Cheese, yogurt, milk are good sources for calcium.

You should know that soft drinks will leach calcium from your bones. Be sure and drink healthy drinks and eat a healthy diet, drink plenty of water.

Hope this is of some help to you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread