It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Vitamins & Supplements Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-29-2005, 11:20 PM   #1
(female)

katie865 HB User
B-Complex Question

Hello...I have been taking a B-Complex Vitamin once daily for about 2 or 3 weeks now....But lately I have seen people on here ask questions about their B-50 Complex or B-100 Complex....Im confused....My bottle just says B-Complex...no numbers on it, just how many are in the bottle.....Am I not taking the right vitamin (for my anxiety and stress)

Another Question I have is ..should I not be taking this vitamin every day? Is there "too much" to taking it??? Like should I be taking it every other day I wonder???? Please if you know about this let me know....I am still new to vitamins and supplements, and the support thus far on this board has been great...but I am just very confused about the B-complex and the numbers????

Thanks,
Katie

Old 07-07-2005, 04:01 AM   #2
(male)

greensky HB User
Re: B-Complex Question

Sorry I don't know about the numbers.

You can take your B-complex daily, nothing to worry about there.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-07-2005, 06:00 AM   #3
(female)

DaVinci HB User

B-Complex – This will help build nerves and form acetylcholine; it should also be used in conjunction with SAMe –supplementation. B-vitamins are particularly critical for memory. They also help to make acetylcholine that has been shown to be correlated with memory issues. B vitamins help the liver, help the body deal with stress and should help to prevent viral infections. Stress depletes B vitamins. They are water soluble; any excess is excreted so B’s need to be supplemented on a daily basis. Excess B’s may turn the urine a bright yellow – this is fine!

Old 07-09-2005, 01:06 PM   #4
Veteran
(male)

TheHappyMan HB UserTheHappyMan HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by katie865
Hello...I have been taking a B-Complex Vitamin once daily for about 2 or 3 weeks now....But lately I have seen people on here ask questions about their B-50 Complex or B-100 Complex....Im confused....My bottle just says B-Complex...no numbers on it, just how many are in the bottle.....Am I not taking the right vitamin (for my anxiety and stress)

Another Question I have is ..should I not be taking this vitamin every day? Is there "too much" to taking it??? Like should I be taking it every other day I wonder???? Please if you know about this let me know....I am still new to vitamins and supplements, and the support thus far on this board has been great...but I am just very confused about the B-complex and the numbers????

Thanks,
Katie
Hi katie865 -
The answer to your first question is simple - If you look at the label on your bottle of B complex it should state how many milligrams of each B vitamin is in one tablet.
You will no doubt either see it listed as 50, or 100 milligrams, hence the "B-50" or "B-100" designation.

Personally I would not take more than one B-100 or two B-50's a day (and yes they are meant to be taken every day).... I think taking the B-50's is better because it breaks the dosage up over the whole day rather than all at once.......

And DaVinci stated very nicely some of the benefits of B Vitamins....

Last edited by TheHappyMan; 07-09-2005 at 01:11 PM.

Old 07-11-2005, 06:59 PM   #5
(female)

SilentSuffering HB User

Hello, all.

DaVinci's right about the benefits of taking B12. I wish I had known a year ago. I most definitely would have eaten more red meat and eggs if I'd known what the lack of them would do to me.

About 2 months ago I went to my doctor to explain that I had become confused, I couldn't remember things, and my head was always foggy. I had lost my appetite and most of my sense of taste. I was always exhausted and my legs hurt. I was also having these mood swings that, coupled with the memory loss and the confusion, were getting me into trouble at work.

My doctor drew my blood and told me I had an incredibly low B12 level. She said normal levels were between 220 and 1,100. Mine was at 160! She had to give me a B12 shot right there in the office. Of course, I had to get a prescription and give myself shots 3x per week.

I noticed that, with the shots, the confusion started to disappear, and the fog was receding! I'm starting to get my memory back slowly.

My doctor took me off the shots a week ago and told me to stay off of them for a month to see if I would go back to such a severe deficiency.

But I have to admit that I'm afraid to go back to the way it was, especially since I feel that I'm not yet back to 100%. I just bought a bottle of B-Complex, and I "looked closely" at the label but I can't tell exactly which measurement I should go by. This "Super B-Complex" is made by Spring Valley (I guess that's Wal-Mart brand? I have limited means and probably can't afford the supplements at The Vitamin Shoppe or GNC.)

I ask which measurement to go by, because there are different measurements of each B vitamin. Do you go by the B1 measurement? This is what it has on the label:

B1 100mg
B2 20mg
B3 30mg
B6 2mg
B12 15mcg

It also has Liver Powder, Brewer's Yeast, 150 mg of Vitamin C, Biotin, and Pantothenic Acid.

Sorry for the life story...

TheHappyMan, you seem to know a great deal about supplements, can you tell me if this is adequate, or if I should take it back and get something else? I really want to get my memory back! (And giving myself shots 3x/week for 6 weeks really hurt!)

Thanks in advance,

suffering_in_silence

Oh, and I was thinking about taking the fish oil supplements, but they make... you know... smell like fish. It's odd and disturbing. But they really do help, huh? I can't stand fish, and I don't like missing out on the health benefits they provide.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Year (noun) - A period of three hundred and sixty-five disappointments." - Ambrose Bierce, The Devil’s Dictionary

Last edited by SilentSuffering; 07-11-2005 at 07:00 PM.

Old 07-12-2005, 07:12 AM   #6
(female)

DaVinci HB User

I respectfully disagree with your last post, especially concerning the vitamin C and B vitamins. Vitamin C can be taken to bowel tolerance, once watery bowels have been produced back off and get a good maintainance dose: Deficiency (scurvy), gum disease, fatigue, degenerative disorders, immune disorders, bowel probs. Vitamin C has shown benefits for some people with autism. This antioxidant is necessary for synthesis of neurotransmitters, steroid hormones, and carnitine. It converts cholesterol to bile acids, and helps with metabolism of tyrosine and metal ions. It may enhance the bioavailability of iron. It strengthens the action of iron. The buffered form(buffered vit C - Kirkmans), calcium ascorbate, is more easily tolerated. Food sources include citrus fruits, berries, melons, tomatoes, potatoes, green peppers, and leafy green vegetables.

I wouldn't go off the B12 shots either, you've already seen the benefits, my boy has them every other day and makes a world of difference....it's like he woke up from the fog. One way to tell if it's starting to work is that your nerves start to come alive...you'll feel tingling esp. in the lips. In addition to the B12 shots he takes B complex #3(Thornes), on label:
Thiamine 40mg
Riboflavin 28.6mg
Niacin295mg
Vit B6 23.4mg
Folic Acid200mcg
Vitamin B12100mcg
Biotin80mcg
Pantothenic Acid 45mg

Vitamin A toxicity is real, however high Vitamin A for short periods can be tolerated. Vitamin A excess signs: Abdominal enlargement, cracked lips and inflamed areas of the corners of the mouth and loss of appetite, hair loss etc.

Also agree about iron, I'm constantly experimenting with myself...giving sups first to me and then son.....tried the iron once...very bad, felt like a heart attack
I get most of my sups from: Klaire, Metabolic Maintenance, Thorne, Vitamin Research Products, PhysioLogic, Hopewell. Much better quality then the sups at pharmacies/walmart/vitamin shoppe.
I've done many tests with my son mostly cause I was at the point of having so many sups, and wondering ...am I giving him the right ones?, am I giving him too much?is he out of balance?

Turns out I wasn't giving him nearly enough!
Your on the right track .....and in my opinion ....you need more...we all do!

Old 07-12-2005, 06:54 PM   #7
(female)

SilentSuffering HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaVinci
I respectfully disagree with your last post, especially concerning the vitamin C and B vitamins...

...I wouldn't go off the B12 shots either, you've already seen the benefits, my boy has them every other day and makes a world of difference...
You disagree with my last post (which was on a completely different thread), exactly how?
I said that
Quote:
Taking vitamins can't harm you, as long as you follow the golden rule... "Everything in moderation." Taking too much of anything can and will harm you.
That's 100% true. Doing ANYTHING in excess can and will cause harm.
Notice that I did say that taking vitamins WON'T hurt you.

I then went on to list some of the good qualities of each vitamin, but I also included the effects of taking too much of them. I never said not to take vitamins; I simply said not to overdose. You can agree with that, right?

As far as my personal B12 shots go, I am reluctantly following my doctor's advice not to take them. I'd rather be taking the shots until I feel completely better, but, she is a doctor after all. I'm hoping she knows what she's doing, and that it won't affect me too negatively.

Perhaps I will get a second opinion from another doctor, but for now, I want to let my arms heal up. It looks as if I've been stung by 30 some-odd bees! Though I heal very quickly, I do still have some sore spots (which I'm sure you [and your son, for that matter] can understand.)

I was considering taking supplements in pill form in lieu of the shots, but I don't know exactly what to buy. I think I have a Vitamin Shoppe near me, but I don't think I have a GNC or any other specialty supplement store. I'll have to check them out later, as I am already over budget this month.

I can't find recommendations online for any particular brand, so I don't know how to compare quality between different brands from different stores.

I have also found conflicting recommendations about exactly how much to take. Certain B vitamins (like B12) will be flushed out of your system, while others (like B6) can do some harm if you take too much. I've seen so many pill bottles with the Daily Value listed as 6,667% of a particular vitamin. That's scary, you know? To think that I'll be getting sixty times the recommended dosage.

I've noticed that the internet has provided a wealth of information on the benefits of and the dangers of taking vitamins, however, no one can seem to agree on how much each person should get. And how am I to know, if I sit down and eat a steak, how much of my daily recommended value I'm getting? I can't seem to find the answer to that question, either.

s_i_s

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask and he'll tell you the truth." -- Oscar Wilde

Old 07-13-2005, 05:49 AM   #8
(female)

DaVinci HB User

Laboratory and clinical assessment of nutritional status is highly recommended. The most accurate method for measuring vitamin and mineral levels is through a blood test. Be sure to find a comprehensive, reliable lab that measures all vitamins and minerals.
Since the test can cost several hundred dollars, most people are not willing/able to do this, however in the long term well worth it. This is why you can not find reliable info on what and how much to take - it's very individual. This can be safe and effective if done knowledgably, but there are over 25 essential vitamins and minerals, so it is very time-consuming.

Vitamin B-6 and magnesium: Eighteen studies on the efficacy and safety of vitamin B-6 and magnesium, including 11 double-blind placebo-controlled studies, have been conducted over the last 35 years, and the results have repeatedly shown this combination to be effective in reducing many of the deficits and symptoms of autism(my little man's condition). Recent research has found that people with autism need unusually high levels of B6 because their enzymes for converting B6 are defective and inefficient. B6 is important in dozens of roles, including making neurotransmitters for proper brain function. Vitamin B6 needs to be given with magnesium. Now I know your thinking, well I'm not autistic and what's this got to do with me? Well it's my belief that we all are very deficient in vit/min/a.a etc and the RDA doesn't even come close to our needs. The dangers of B6 are easily corrected by stopping or lowering the dose.

Choosing the supplements

Choosing vitamin/mineral supplements can be confusing. Nutritional supplements should be phased in slowly, over several weeks, and then the effects observed for 1-2 months. In choosing a vitamin/mineral supplement, the following guidelines should be considered:

1) Begin with as healthy a diet as possible, including a wide variety of fruits and vegetables.
2) Avoid copper (present in most multi-vitamin supplements),
and it is toxic at high levels.
3) Avoid synthetic vitamin A (palmitate) present in most vitamin/mineral supplements. It is best to rely on cod liver oil for vitamin A, since it contains the natural form of vitamin A (retinol), along with beta carotene, which is converted to vitamin A as needed.
4) For the fat-soluble vitamins (A, D, E, and K), be careful not to greatly exceed the U.S. RDA, because excess amounts of those vitamins will be stored in the body and can cause toxicity. The other vitamins (B and C) are water-soluble, so excess amounts of those are easily eliminated in the urine.

So how do you feel now that you've been off the B12 shots for awhile? My boy gets grumpy and teary eyed if I miss a shot. The expert in B12 shots and their effectiveness(Dr. Neubrander) says the shots should be taken on the butt. The B12 goes into the fat for slower absorption; if it goes into the muscle not only will your urine be red you will be excreting it faster. You can ask for the Ultra-Fine ll needles3/10cc, very thin and don't make a mark if you do it right.

Old 07-13-2005, 04:31 PM   #9
(female)

SilentSuffering HB User

Quote:
So how do you feel now that you've been off the B12 shots for a while? My boy gets grumpy and teary eyed if I miss a shot. The expert in B12 shots and their effectiveness (Dr. Neubrander) says the shots should be taken on the butt. The B12 goes into the fat for slower absorption; if it goes into the muscle not only will your urine be red you will be excreting it faster. You can ask for the Ultra-Fine ll needles3/10cc, very thin and don't make a mark if you do it right.
I feel nothing, really. I don't feel like I'm getting any worse, which is good.

I've been off them for almost 2 weeks and I'm glad my condition hasn't [noticeably] worsened. I hasn't become any better, though, either. I believe I said before (but I'm not sure) that after taking the shots for about a month, I plateaued. So I wasn't getting any [noticeably] better then, either.

My doctor told me to do the shots in my arm and never mentioned injecting into the buttocks. I don't know if I could handle jabbing a needle into my hindquarters. I never noticed any discoloration of my urine, but I can understand about excreting it faster.

I don't know what to do. Go back on the shots or don't go back on the shots? Take supplements instead or don't take anything? Ugh. I don't know.

As far as changing my diet goes... Yes, that most definitely needs to be done. It's just terribly difficult.

I can most definitely blame my upbringing for the way I now eat. I was not raised on salads, fresh vegetables, or fruit; instead, I was raised on Chef Boyardee, macaroni & cheese, and Ramen noodles. (I was a latch key kid raised by a single parent who worked 2 jobs. I fed myself breakfast and dinner from 2nd grade to middle school to high school and so on. The meals had to be fast and easy for a young child to cook.)

I quickly got used to eating crappy food. I ended up becoming a terribly picky eater. I'm assuming that it's because I was not exposed to eating a variety of vegetables and fruits that there are so few that I actually like. I can't stand fish, I don't like a lot of fruit and there are even fewer vegetables that I'll eat. And did I mention that I can't stand salad? I've tried to make myself eat it, but I just can't get through it.

I'm sure you've heard the joke about "Tonight's dinner has been postponed until we can find the can opener!" Well, sadly, that truly is the kind of household I come from.

Are you appalled yet?

My daily diet consists of maybe - maybe one piece of fruit and/or one vegetable. Nowadays I live on pasta and Instant Breakfast. Lunch is usually a toss-up between a steak sandwich and waffle fries or peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. Come to think of it, my diet is basically the same every single day. I literally do have Instant Breakfast every morning when I go to work. I do have pasta almost every night (when I have the energy to cook). And I have virtually the same lunch every day. Wow. That's pretty bad. I've been living on mostly carbs for a long time now. And I'm a secretary, so I'm almost completely sedentary. No wonder I'm fat! LOL

The weekends are worse. I usually get so busy, and have so many things I need to take care of that I hardly ever sit down to eat. This past weekend, I had one meal on Saturday and one meal on Sunday. Both were pasta and were washed down with about 1 liter of iced tea.

On the upside, I really dislike fast food. I stay away from Taco Bell, KFC, McDonald's, Burger King, Wendy's, and Checkers. I avoid Pizza Hut at all costs. I'm not a fan of pizza or Chinese food. I absolutely cannot eat spicy food.

I'm a tried and true carnivore; I love beef, buffalo, chicken, deer, lamb, and pork. I love potatoes any way but raw. I like the snack plate veggies (broccoli, carrots, cucumber, etc.) but with ranch dressing (which is mostly fat and cream). I love corn, but I heard it has virtually no nutritional value.

Lately I've been trying to sneak in a yogurt or an apple as a mid-afternoon snack. Sometimes I'll have a banana. I'll have a couple of hard boiled eggs or an Ensure for dinner (if I have dinner.) I also drink lots of water each day.

I LOVE JUICE. I used to drink 1/2 gallon of orange juice every 2 days. I would also be slugging down apple, grape, and cranberry juices, but I got SO tired of people saying to me, "Watch out, you'll become a diabetic!" So I kind of just stopped cold turkey on the juice thing. Besides, I wasn't getting any calcium. Now I go through about 4 cups of milk per day.

I become addicted to things very quickly (like those yummy steak & mozzarella sandwiches from the deli) but I also get tired of them quickly.

I tried to change my diet so many times before. Most diet plans are so restrictive (and comprised of foods I won't eat) that I can't stay on them. I also went on that diet where you eat 1 serving of something every 2 hours. I pretty much became a starving lunatic for the first few days, and the diet was just too hard to stay on.

I feel like a hopeless case.

s_i_s

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask and he'll tell you the truth." -- Oscar Wilde

Old 07-15-2005, 05:49 AM   #10
(female)

DaVinci HB User

I think alot of us were raised this way, it is a fast paced society, and even more so now. You know what your doing wrong....diet wise....that looks like a whole lot of fats....perhaps you have a poor fat absorption. Maybe if you take a enzyme with every meal and a good probiotic this will increase your body's ability to make short chain fatty acids. SCFAs decrease the pHof the intestines and therefore make the environment unsuitable for pathogens, including bacteria and yeast. They also decrease inflammation and help with healing.
As far as the diet goes, take it one step at a time, find at least one edible receipe per week and just keep adding on. Once you find it you Have to make it. There's an interesting book that's been out for awhile about blood types "Eat Right for Your Type." Although it may sound like hype, I do think Dr. D'Adamo has some interesting points and some good receipes in the book. Probably can get from the library now.
Another thing I do is to veggie juice, that kindof makes up for crappy eating all week. Yeah I know about the fibre, but I found this to be an excellent way to get a whole lot of nutrition and extra bonus is that it's already broken down for you, so your body doesn't have to work so hard.
It's probably a good idea to take it easy on the fruit juice since it is alot of concentrated sugar. Milk is a sore point with me, my boy is severely allergic(tested)and doesn't show any obvious signs of it. Think of it this way, we as humans are the only mammals on earth that still drink milk past the weaning stage, it's really not meant for human consumption - difficult to digest, the calcium in it is not readily absorpable and a huge population is allergic to it. If you want real calcium get it from greens - juicing. Commit to just 2x/wk of juicing and then let me know if you feel different.
It's true the only way to lose weight is the hard way - eating right and exercise. And this comes from a former fatty(scale broke at 270 but I was darn close to 300).....now 120....mind you in my case it was mostly the physical labour of previous jobs.

Old 07-17-2005, 08:13 PM   #11
(female)

SilentSuffering HB User

Quote:
I think a lot of us were raised this way; it is a fast paced society, and even more so now. You know what you're doing wrong - diet wise. That looks like a whole lot of fats. Perhaps you have poor fat absorption. Maybe if you take an enzyme with every meal and a good probiotic they will increase your body's ability to make short chain fatty acids. SCFAs decrease the pH of the intestines and therefore make the environment unsuitable for pathogens, including bacteria and yeast. They also decrease inflammation and help with healing.

As far as the diet goes, take it one step at a time, find at least one edible receipe per week and just keep adding on. Once you find it you have to make it. There's an interesting book that's been out for a while about blood types called "Eat Right for Your Type." Although it may sound like hype, I do think Dr. D'Adamo has some interesting points and some good receipes in the book. You can probably get it from the library now.
Another thing I do is to veggie juice, that kind of makes up for crappy eating all week. Yeah I know about the fiber, but I found this to be an excellent way to get a whole lot of nutrition and extra bonus is that it's already broken down for you, so your body doesn't have to work so hard.
It's probably a good idea to take it easy on the fruit juice since it is alot of concentrated sugar. Milk is a sore point with me, my boy is severely allergic(tested) and doesn't show any obvious signs of it. Think of it this way, we as humans are the only mammals on earth that still drink milk past the weaning stage; it's really not meant for human consumption - difficult to digest, the calcium in it is not readily absorbable and a huge portion of the population is allergic to it. If you want real calcium, get it from greens - juicing. Commit to just 2x/wk of juicing and then let me know if you feel different.
It's true the only way to lose weight is the hard way - eating right and exercise. And this comes from a former fatty (scale broke at 270 but I was darn close to 300)... now 120... mind you in my case it was mostly the physical labour of previous jobs.
I understand what you mean about physical labor. I was a lot stronger and much leaner when I worked in a bulk food warehouse. (By your spelling I'm guessing you don't live in the United States, so you probably won't know what a Sam's Club is.) When I worked there, I was lifting and hauling 50 lb. bags of rice, 5-gallon jugs of water, 50 lb. boxes (reams) of paper, etc. I had great strength and though I was overweight at the time, it was nothing like it is now. The job I had after that was as a secretary (about 5 years ago), and I've been sedentary ever since. I sit on my butt all day and type, and it's hard to exercise. It's July, so if I go out for a 1/2 hour power walk, I'll stink for the rest of the day. I work 40 miles away from my home, and have no way to transport a bike to work.

I have seen that book, and I was shocked by what it said. Apparently, I'm supposed to eat lots of meat and avoid carbs and fruit. That diet is definitely not for me.

The body isn't made to eat a lot of only one thing. Fad diets like Atkins and Eat Right 4 Your Type are long-term diets, which means if you go off of them, you will gain the weight back.

I'm thinking about going back on the "every 2 hours" diet, but I'm going to have to psych myself up for it. It's supposed to be very good for you because it keeps your metabolism going, and it's supposed to "shrink" your stomach within 2 weeks or so. I really need that! The biggest part of my problem (besides eating the wrong stuff) is eating too much. I eat entirely too much of the wrong foods, and I don't exercise; that's why I look the way I look.

I don't sleep well; I toss and turn and wake up frequently. I get about 4-5 hours of decent sleep per night. I'm sleepy when I drive to work, and by the time I get home from work, I'm so beat that I can't even think about exercise. Sometimes I'm too tired to cook myself dinner.

I could be a professional dieter; I know what to eat, what not to eat, when to eat it, which exercises to do, etc. I just can't get myself to do it. I have a bike I haven't touched since I bought it. I have exercise videos I haven't watched. My biggest problem is that my lazy body wins over my ambitious mind. If I ever figure out how to beat that, I'll have it made, and I'll probably lose a lot of weight.

s_i_s

Old 07-18-2005, 06:26 AM   #12
(female)

DaVinci HB User

Yeah I know the Sam's Club, I'm in Canada and many U.S companies have made their mark here. Warehouse or logistic type companies are great for losing weight! Pay isn't great but I see it like going to the gym and getting paid for it. Maybe that's not such a bad idea, get a temporary job, for example I was at Fed Ex during the Xmas season, great fun actually, and sweat the extra pounds off!(my personnal favourite for losing weight, not getting healthy just losing weight.)
I agree about the book, there are some things that don't entirely ring true, but there are things we can learn from just about any source, what caught my eye was the quote:
"A chemical reaction occurs between your blood and the foods you consume. We know this because of a factor called lectins. Lectins are abundant and diverse proteins found in foods. They have aggultinating -gluing or sticking- properties that affect your blood. When you eat a food containing protein lectins that are incompatible with your blood type antigen, the lectins target an organ and begin to agglutinate blood cells in that area. In effect, lectins gum up the works, interfering with digestion, insulin production, food metabolism, and hormonal balance."
What he's saying is that some foods are good for certain blood types and act as a medicine, and some foods are neutral to your system, and other foods act like a poison in your body. I find this to be true, but is unfortunately very individual, so therefore there is no easy answer unless you do elaborate laboratory tests or a series of trial and error. I've done the lab tests on my boy and he's shown a severe allergy to many things, and there's a few I'd have never guessed including bananas and ginger.

Little things do count, like parking at the furthest parking spot, climbing stairs instead of taking the elevator, bringing a change of clothes for that power walk, packing a healthy lunch or at least buying a single serving. And have this ready(days off) so there's no excuses. It's better to think "I want to be healthy, not I want to lose weight", the weight will come off naturally this way. The more you think about losing weight, the more we seem to fantasize about food(mmmm....cheesecake)right?

Let's face it dieting and exercising are boring, so we have to find something that motivates us to do it, exercising doesn't have to be about tedious exercise tapes, do something you always wanted to do, doesn't matter what it is as long as it gets you moving! Of course it's always more fun if you have someone to do it with(exercise buddy), but even if I don't I'll go to the city park and become one with nature. Maybe a journal will help too.
Look up sups for increasing metabolism.
Used to be "fatty watty" now "skinny minny"!
Like Nike says, "Just Do It!"

Closed Thread