It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Vitamins & Supplements Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-16-2005, 10:54 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

CARAT414 HB User
Biotin vs B12

I been told by several people that biotin is the same thing as B12. But then I have had about the same amount of people say they are completely different. I am trying to get my hair to grow a little quicker and maybe thicker and hopefully help with the brittleness of my nails. I know that my hair and nails condition is usually genetic, but everyone else in my family has great hair and nails except me. I have not had the best of eating habits and have improved them greatly, but I figured to help me out vitamins can't really hurt.

Oh someone told me also that taking to much Vitamin A could be a really bad thing. How much is to much??? The repfor one of the products at the vitamin store told me that 10,000 I.U. is perfect. But the clerk at the store said that I should take half that. Any info here????

Is there a good book that I can get that will tell me what each vitamin and mineral is good for, and in what amounts.

Thanks for any info with this.

C

Old 07-18-2005, 11:58 AM   #2

turl HB User
Re: Biotin vs B12

NO, biotin is NOT B12. B12 is cobalamin.

I think several of the Bs are important in healthy hair/nails. Pantothenic acid comes to mind. But, it's best to take the Bs as a complex unless you have a deficiency in a specific one. You can cause an imbalance in them if you take one in isolation without also taking the others.

I've noticed my fingernails grow MUCH faster since I've been on B-complex, but their ridges haven't changed yet. My hair has always grown quickly, but it's prone to dryness. I think Fish Oil (Omega-3s) has helped me the most with that.

An overall healthy diet is the most important.

Tab

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-18-2005, 01:27 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

CARAT414 HB User

Thanks Tabs for the info.

Anyone know about the Vitamin A issue???? I want to start taking them but not sure if I should take one or two. Thanks.

C

Old 07-20-2005, 09:56 AM   #4
Inactive
(male)

ratboy83 HB User

the best supp for dry hair and brittle nails is evening primose oil. it contains the rare fatty acid GLA which in the body helps to regluate oil secretions. if your hair is too dry then EPO balance oil secretions to solve the prob. the bs are good but also try taking a kelp supplement. it is is full of minerals that mke your hair grow thicker and quicker (same for your nails). kelp is cheap as supps go, so there's certainly no harm trying.

as for the vit A issue. the vit A tends to be a more a problem in terms of toxicity when taken in its synthetic form. taken in its natural form, eg. sourced from cod liver oil, it is far more difficult for it to become toxic. to avoid the problem either way, earl mindell recommends that high levels of vit A be taken for only 6 days in each week and on the 7th day none is to be taken. this ensures the vit doesn't become toxic over time.

alex.

Last edited by ratboy83; 07-20-2005 at 09:58 AM.

Old 07-20-2005, 10:23 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

CARAT414 HB User

Thank you Rayboy, would I be able to get a daily amount of Vitamin A if I was to take cod liver oil capsules??? instead of taking just a vitamin A tablet???

Thanks on the evening primrose oil. I currently take that anyways for mood swings. Which has helped alot.

C

Old 07-22-2005, 08:31 AM   #6
Inactive
(male)

ratboy83 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARAT414
Thank you Rayboy, would I be able to get a daily amount of Vitamin A if I was to take cod liver oil capsules??? instead of taking just a vitamin A tablet???
C
one 1000mg strength cod liver oil capsule contains 100% RDAs of both vitamin A and D. if you can stomach the stuff, you get an even higher percentage from taking the liquid form.

alex.

Old 07-23-2005, 01:13 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

CARAT414 HB User

Thank you again Ratboy, I am taking the cod liver oil so I am getting everything I need daily of the A from it. I was just worried I wasn't getting enough and I surely didn't want to get to much.

Thank you very much for taking the time to answer my questions.

C

Old 07-24-2005, 04:15 PM   #8
Inactive
(male)

ratboy83 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARAT414
Thank you again Ratboy, I am taking the cod liver oil so I am getting everything I need daily of the A from it. I was just worried I wasn't getting enough and I surely didn't want to get to much.

Thank you very much for taking the time to answer my questions.

C
no worries, glad i answered everything okay.

alex

Old 07-25-2005, 02:11 AM   #9
Inactive

zandy HB User

But shouldn't the "cod liver oil" be taken in the winter months, and some other form of cod liver oil be taken in the summer months? Kindly reply if someone has the answer.

Old 07-26-2005, 02:39 PM   #10
Inactive
(male)

ratboy83 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by zandy
But shouldn't the "cod liver oil" be taken in the winter months, and some other form of cod liver oil be taken in the summer months? Kindly reply if someone has the answer.
i'm not really sure what you mean. the issue here wasn't when the cod liver oil should be taken. the issue was regarding a natural source of vitamin A. vitamin A isn't just needed in the winter. if you're referring to the difference between liver oils and body oils then they're two different supps with different properties. liver oils are high in vits A and D but lower in EPA and DHA but body oils are high in EPA and DHA but have very little vits in them. i'd agree that taking cod liver oil is beneficial during the winter months in that it boosts the immune system, strengthens mucous membranes and has an anti-viral action- all benefial for colds but has so many other properties that to me its a good idea to take it all year round. as well as vits A and D being needed all year round, its ability to stregthen mucous membranes can reduce the severity of hayfever symptoms in the summer. it also has anti-inflammatory properties which is good for arthritis. taking liver oils and body oils is great because the properties of the two complement each other immensely. hope this clears everything up.

alex.

Last edited by ratboy83; 07-29-2005 at 07:26 AM.

Closed Thread