It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Vitamins & Supplements Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-17-2005, 11:07 AM   #1
(female)

Dancergrl28 HB User
Exclamation Need Advice!!What vitamin do I need?

Im cluless about vitamins and supplements so I looked up this side of the board in hopes someone can throw me some advice! Im a 29 y.o female and I've been a vegitarian for 2 years. Since then, I have lost a good amount of weight, which is surprising because all I eat are carbs! I don't eat alot of vegetables so I hate to call myself a vegetarian-I just don't eat meat. Anyway, I also was diagnosed with adhd when I decided to go back to school so that medication did a number on my appetite as well. Needless to say, Im pretty sure Im suffering from a lack of ALOT of vitamins that I should be getting into my body. For the last month or so I've been having a hard time with school and everything else and Im afraid a little bit of depression has set in. I was reading on the internet that alot of depression symtoms can occur from a deficiency in certain vitamins. Being a vegitarian that hardly eats, Im almost possitive (or hoping) that could be the cause of my mood issues. While I know I should see a doctor, I would like to try vitamins and suppliments first and see if that makes a difference. Being in school I have no insurance right now so I can't really afford to go the doctor. Does ANYONE have any idea WHAT vitamins I should take and/or what supplements aid in depression? Do I simply need a multivitamin? Do they make vitamins specifically for people with vitamin deficiencies? If they do, where can I find them or what do I look for? Any help or advice would be GREATLY appreciated more than you know

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-17-2005, 02:16 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jess75 HB UserJess75 HB User
Re: Need Advice!!What vitamin do I need?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancergrl28
Im cluless about vitamins and supplements so I looked up this side of the board in hopes someone can throw me some advice! Im a 29 y.o female and I've been a vegitarian for 2 years. Since then, I have lost a good amount of weight, which is surprising because all I eat are carbs! I don't eat alot of vegetables so I hate to call myself a vegetarian-I just don't eat meat. Anyway, I also was diagnosed with adhd when I decided to go back to school so that medication did a number on my appetite as well. Needless to say, Im pretty sure Im suffering from a lack of ALOT of vitamins that I should be getting into my body. For the last month or so I've been having a hard time with school and everything else and Im afraid a little bit of depression has set in. I was reading on the internet that alot of depression symtoms can occur from a deficiency in certain vitamins. Being a vegitarian that hardly eats, Im almost possitive (or hoping) that could be the cause of my mood issues. While I know I should see a doctor, I would like to try vitamins and suppliments first and see if that makes a difference. Being in school I have no insurance right now so I can't really afford to go the doctor. Does ANYONE have any idea WHAT vitamins I should take and/or what supplements aid in depression? Do I simply need a multivitamin? Do they make vitamins specifically for people with vitamin deficiencies? If they do, where can I find them or what do I look for? Any help or advice would be GREATLY appreciated more than you know
Firstly, I know what it's like to go back to school and suffer from Add because I was diagnosed with it too, but it may be because I suffer from a food allergy or intolorance cause I also suffer from constiption in addition which in my opinion..there is probably some corelation there. I'm 29 too btw.

Many vegetarians who don't plan their meals carefully tend to not meet the recommended daily allowance of some vitamins etc like,
B vitamins, iron, zinc, ometa 3's. Mind you that all of those vitamins and nutrients are essential for the nervous system which as you know is linked to the brain.
A lack of omega 3's is known to cause depression AND memory problems.(even some symptoms of scizophrenia(sp?) were reversed. Fish oil is SUPERIOR to flax only because our brains primary components consist of DHA and EPA which fish oil readily give you. As opposed to flaxseed oil where not even HALF gets converted to DHA and EPA. FlaxSEEDS are good though cause they have healthy lignans, fiber, omega 3's and other vitamins but I eat flaxseeds in conjunction with my fish oil. ANyhow, a lack of B vitamins are relatively known to cause depression or neurological problems.
You may need more protein in your diet and may need to get a MUTLI vitamin with all of the B's in it. World organics has a great product that is in liquid form(B supplement). Zinc is also VERY important for the brain and nervous system. ANd from you admitting that you don't eat many veggies and no meat, I'll bet your lacking some if not all of these vitamins and nutrients. There is a great product called by naturade called "soy free veg protein booster" that contains all of the 20 amino acids from plant sources plus vitamins which would be a good protein source for you. Do you consume dairy? Would you be opposed to fish oil? Anyhow, these are just some of the things that I've come accross when I was considering a vegetarian lifestyle. I tried to go veg for 2 weeks and my BP was so low and I felt SO tired all of the time even though I supplemented whey protein and took a multi. Anyhow, I would also TRY to eat more veggies, I don't like them too much either, but stir fries are great, cooked veggies with some light cheese, veggie juices etc. I take this supplement called "Perfect Food" by garden of life cause I know I don't eat enough veggies, prolly only 2 servings a day so that helps to fill in the gaps. Hope this helps!

Last edited by Jess75; 07-17-2005 at 03:11 PM.

Old 07-19-2005, 09:02 AM   #3
(female)

Dancergrl28 HB User

Thanks Jessicca! The info. helped alot! At least I know what direction I need to go in. I notcied you said you took flaxseed oil? What benefit does it serve to the body? I've heard alot of it lately but not sure what it does. Also, someone mentioned the supplement 5Htp and Sam-e. Do you have an opinion on which on is better? Can you take both? Thanks again for your help! If anyone else knows the answer to these questions, please feel free to post! Thanks again!

Old 07-19-2005, 06:47 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jess75 HB UserJess75 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancergrl28
Thanks Jessicca! The info. helped alot! At least I know what direction I need to go in. I notcied you said you took flaxseed oil? What benefit does it serve to the body? I've heard alot of it lately but not sure what it does. Also, someone mentioned the supplement 5Htp and Sam-e. Do you have an opinion on which on is better? Can you take both? Thanks again for your help! If anyone else knows the answer to these questions, please feel free to post! Thanks again!
I don't know if you could take both or which one is better, sorry. But I've read a thousand times that flasSEEDS not oil is a better choice since the seeds contain vitamins, fiber and minerals. But if your opposed to fish oil, then i'd probably go with the flax.

Old 07-20-2005, 09:14 AM   #5
Inactive
(male)

ratboy83 HB User

add magnesium and calcium onto what jessica said.

Closed Thread