It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Vitamins & Supplements Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-01-2005, 08:48 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jenetti HB User
is there such a thing as too much vitamin b in your body?

is there such thing as too much vitamin b in your body? i thought you had to take tons of it to reach toxic level? i had a blood test done to check to see if i was low in my vitamin b area and report came back as it being TOO HIGH, also was sent in to have my thyroid sonogramed today because the doctor said it felt enlarged.
jen

Old 08-01-2005, 10:37 PM   #2
(male)

supercelebs HB User
Re: is there such a thing as too much vitamin b in your body?

too much of any vitamin is never good for you..

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-04-2005, 08:49 AM   #3

theREDshoes HB User
Re: is there such a thing as too much vitamin b in your body?

All the b vitamins are water soluable so what you don't use will probably leave your body in your urine. However, vitamin b6 does have some toxicity issues. At high doses it may cause some tingling sensation in the hands and feet. Some say 250 mg. dose should be the max. If this were to happen it can be remedied by taking sufficient magnesium. I have a vitamin b6 deficiency and must take very high doses but never have a problem with this issue because I also take magnesium.

I don't think you actually had your vitamin b6 levels checked. My understanding is that this vitamin is not tested with a simple blood test. There are five different forms of vitamin b6 in your body. There is no single test for ALL of these leves. There is a test called the tryptophan load test which has you take some tryptophan in perhaps some orange juice and then wait to test your urine for some metabolic by-products. Your body can only convert tyrptophan into serotonin if there is enough vitamin b6 in your system. So this is the only test for vitamin b6 which is not given all that often. I have a vitamin b6 deficiency because of a condition and have never had this test performed.

I am not sure what b vitamins you were tested for and which ones were high? You might want to speak with your doctor about that.

Closed Thread