It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Vitamins & Supplements Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-04-2005, 07:37 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

littlejmb HB Userlittlejmb HB User
Proper Way To Take L-Tyrosine

I just recently started taking L Tyrosine for a variety of reasons, but I do not know the proper way of taking it for optimum benefits. All it says on the bottle is take one capsule daily, but I was thinking that it's best to take them without food and maybe with certain things to drink? From what I have read, the health benefits are great from this amino acid and there are many listed!

Any info on this would be greatly appreciated!

Old 08-04-2005, 08:12 AM   #2

theREDshoes HB User
Re: Proper Way To Take L-Tyrosine

Amino acids are best taken on an empty stomach. Taking any single amino acid with foods would be useless. That single amino acid would mix with the food and become part of a complete protein or something. Your body would combine that single amino acid with other amino acids which you don't want.

Tyrosine can cause some people to get angry. If you feel this happening to you then you need to lower the dose.

I have taken tyrosine myself and have found that it can make me angry. It can also make me more alert so it may not be good to take too late in the day. Because too high a dose can cause these problems the capsule form is actually best for tyrosine. But other amino acids like glutamine are actually better and more economical in powder form.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-04-2005, 08:25 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thanks Redshoes! I have been taking it about 9:00 am on an empty stomach with water. I have read to take it with juice, but my stomach can't handle juce. So far I have not felt angry at all, but I will watch for that. I hope it makes me lose some weight!

Old 08-10-2005, 10:18 AM   #4
Inactive
(male)

ratboy83 HB User

added to wht has been mentioned. make sure that you are getting enough vit C in your diet and if not take a supplement. if you are vit C deficient you cannot properly metabolise L-tyrosine.

alex.

Old 08-10-2005, 11:24 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thanks Alex. I did buy a 500 mg supplement that I have been taking and its the Ester C, so it isn't bothering me. Do you know why you're not supposed to take the Amino Acids for an extended period of time?

Old 08-16-2005, 04:08 AM   #6
Inactive
(male)

ratboy83 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlejmb
Thanks Alex. I did buy a 500 mg supplement that I have been taking and its the Ester C, so it isn't bothering me. Do you know why you're not supposed to take the Amino Acids for an extended period of time?
i think its to do with the fact that over time taking one individual amino acid can lead to the depletion of the others; kinda like the situation with the b-vitamins. like with the Bs, this can be overcome by taking an amino acid complex. a good choice is one of the one's used by body builders like the amino 1000 or amino 1500. that should allow taking tyrosine for an extended time period. hope that answers your question.

alex.

Old 08-16-2005, 05:12 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thanks Alex,

I am reading an excellent book about overcoming anxiety and depression with supplements, and L Tyrosine, L Typyptophan together, balance out the seratonin and Norepinephrine. I was on Lexapro - an SSRI, which worked great for my depression, but the negative sexual side affects made me want to switch. I started on Wellbutrin XL last week, and it's a NRI. I'm thinking about trying just the two supplements and see how I do.

Old 08-16-2005, 09:16 AM   #8
Inactive
(male)

ratboy83 HB User

can you still buy tryptophan? i thought it was banned and now the only option is 5-HTP? where do you get it from? the internet?

alex.

Old 08-16-2005, 09:37 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Alex,

I thought it was too, but in this book it said it was safe to take, and I looked on the net and found it. I bet the health food stores carry it also. I was wondering about the 5-HTP though, it seems like it is good and it has the B-6 with it, i think.

Old 08-18-2005, 06:11 AM   #10
Inactive
(male)

ratboy83 HB User
Talking Re: Proper Way To Take L-Tyrosine

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlejmb
Alex,

I thought it was too, but in this book it said it was safe to take, and I looked on the net and found it. I bet the health food stores carry it also. I was wondering about the 5-HTP though, it seems like it is good and it has the B-6 with it, i think.
i work in a health food store and we don't stock it. its banned in the UK but i guess the net provides a source unaffected by the ban. it is safe indeed: the only reason it was banned was because some people developed a condition from a contaminated batch. it was the contaminant (due to a japanese company trying to cut corners) that caused the condition, not the tryptophan, so it seems absurd that the amino was ever banned.
as for 5-HTP, i'd say its probably better than tryptophan. tryptophan is converted into 5-HTP before serotonin anyway, so by taking it you're actualy one step closer to boosting serotonin levels in the brain. out of interst though, what dosage does the book suggest for tryptophan?

are you gonna be taking any other supplements alongside the tyrosine and tryptophan (is it just me or you do you have to think before spelling that one!)? B-vits? vit C? fish oil? magnesium/ calcium?

alex.

Old 08-18-2005, 06:17 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Alex,

My heathfoof store didn't have it either - and I can't spell that either! lol I am going to get the 5 HTP and I do take all the supplements you mentioned. I just switched from Lexapro to Wellbutrin XL, so I do want some seratonin in my system to help with sleep, etc. I will continue with the L Tyrosine to boost the Wellbutrin so I can stay on the lower dose. I will let you know how it goes...

How cool - I would love to work in a Health food store, and all the supplements really interest me. My book is at home so I am not sure what dosage they said to take.

Jackie

Old 08-18-2005, 07:31 AM   #12
Inactive
(male)

ratboy83 HB User

[QUOTE=littlejmb]Alex,

My heathfoof store didn't have it either - and I can't spell that either! lol I am going to get the 5 HTP and I do take all the supplements you mentioned. I just switched from Lexapro to Wellbutrin XL, so I do want some seratonin in my system to help with sleep, etc. I will continue with the L Tyrosine to boost the Wellbutrin so I can stay on the lower dose. I will let you know how it goes...

How cool - I would love to work in a Health food store, and all the supplements really interest me. My book is at home so I am not sure what dosage they said to take.

Jackie[/QUO

i know the wellbrutin is an anti-depressant, but how is it different to the SSRIs? doe sit act on nor-adrenaline levels instead? if you could tell me the dosage i'd realy appreciate it, just from an interest point of view. i've been trying to establish what the equivelent in dosage of tryptophan is to 50mg of 5-HTP. you should work in one then. im doing it before going to uni to do a exercise, health and nutrition degree.

alex

Old 08-18-2005, 07:39 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Alex, WEllbutrin works on dopamine and norephenphrine (sp) and SSRI's work on Seratonin. Two totally different classes of antidepressants. Do you want the dosage of L Tryptophane or Wellbutrin?

Old 08-18-2005, 07:45 AM   #14
Inactive
(male)

ratboy83 HB User

sorry, of the tryptophan.

alex.

Old 08-18-2005, 07:57 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

Alex, it says to take 500 to 6000 mg at bedtime. So - I guess it depends on the person, and how bad off they are! lol

On the L Tyrosine - take 500 to 3500 mg in the morning and again in the afternoon.

L Tryptophane produces Seratonin, and L Tyrosine - dopamine and Norepinephrine. We need both, to have a balance.

Closed Thread