It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Vitamins & Supplements Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-10-2005, 07:00 PM   #1
(female)

botty HB User
which vitamins to help me sleep

hello everyone,

For some time now i am not able to sleep well at night and have put it down to a side effect of my anti depressent effxor xl which im going to start reducing.
When im asleep i sleep but its the getting to sleep i have a problem with so i was wondering if anyone could advice me of any vitamins or minerals that helps insomnia.
If so could you tell me the best time to take and how much of it,
the doctor gave me sleeping pills diazapann (sorry bout spelling)
but dont want to go there,
thanks alot sally

Last edited by botty; 08-10-2005 at 07:02 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-10-2005, 07:08 PM   #2
(male)

anonimo HB User
Re: which vitamins to help me sleep

I've been taking Calcium/Magnesium/Vitamin D combinations for several years now. For the most part it has helped me, but for some reason it doesn't seem to be helping as much lately. Look for about 1200mg/600mg/400mg respectivly, taken in divided doses, one of which being soon before bed.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-11-2005, 06:54 PM   #3
Veteran
(male)

TheHappyMan HB UserTheHappyMan HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by botty
hello everyone,

For some time now i am not able to sleep well at night and have put it down to a side effect of my anti depressent effxor xl which im going to start reducing.
When im asleep i sleep but its the getting to sleep i have a problem with so i was wondering if anyone could advice me of any vitamins or minerals that helps insomnia.
If so could you tell me the best time to take and how much of it,
the doctor gave me sleeping pills diazapann (sorry bout spelling)
but dont want to go there,
thanks alot sally
I have never heard of any Vitamins or Minerals help with Insomnia...... Most anti-depressants will help you get "drowzy"........ But these are not vitamins or minerals....
You could try Melatonin (an over the counter enzyme) or valerian Root......

Old 08-12-2005, 02:30 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

singer1 HB User

I have heard of taking calcium/mag at bed time (with food) but I'm not sure how much of it you should take.

Old 08-12-2005, 02:57 AM   #5
(male)

NotUnderstood HB User

As far as herbal vitamins and what not.....not even sure if this is an herbal vitamin, but yes, I've heard that taking melatonin can help, although, I think I've tried it, and I'm not sure if it worked well for me, it was a while ago, but why not give it a shot if ya want. I'm currently on Seroquel, which is actually an anti-psychotic as well, but it helps put you to sleep very fast, but I'm not sure if I want to continue taking it, because I feel groggy in the morning, sometimes not even wanting to get out of bed, as is usually the case with me. Of course, I didn't take it lastnight, and stayed up instead, and I've been up all night, and will be staying up for about another 8-12 hours, so what do I know!?

Old 08-12-2005, 06:39 AM   #6
(female)

botty HB User

hi
thanks for replys i have been tols told not to use valerian as it can interfere with my anti depressents,
also for me i would not like to try use melatonin as have heard things that concern me bout it,
think i will try the vitamins that anonimo suggested as had enough of side effects of anything stronger.

Old 08-12-2005, 07:32 PM   #7
Veteran
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotUnderstood
As far as herbal vitamins and what not.....not even sure if this is an herbal vitamin, but yes, I've heard that taking melatonin can help, although, I think I've tried it, and I'm not sure if it worked well for me, it was a while ago, but why not give it a shot if ya want. I'm currently on Seroquel, which is actually an anti-psychotic as well, but it helps put you to sleep very fast, but I'm not sure if I want to continue taking it, because I feel groggy in the morning, sometimes not even wanting to get out of bed, as is usually the case with me. Of course, I didn't take it lastnight, and stayed up instead, and I've been up all night, and will be staying up for about another 8-12 hours, so what do I know!?
Hi NotUnderstood - You are right, valerian has it's risks.
Melatonin is actually a hormone that the body produces by itself.... but we dont always produce enough... Bt the way, it actually tastes sweet (wierd) ... but it's really safe. A dosage of 300 mcg (taken at night) should help you sleep much better. And no morning after effects....

Last edited by TheHappyMan; 08-12-2005 at 07:34 PM.

Old 08-15-2005, 08:24 AM   #8
(female)

botty HB User

hi thanks for reply can i take melatonin though on my anti depressents i take effxor xl so not sure ?
also im in the uk and in the uk melatonin is unlicenced dont know why?
thanks sally

Old 08-15-2005, 07:46 PM   #9
Veteran
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by botty
hi thanks for reply can i take melatonin though on my anti depressents i take effxor xl so not sure ?
also im in the uk and in the uk melatonin is unlicenced dont know why?
thanks sally
Yes, you can take Melatonin with Just about everything under the sun - it does not exagerate the effects of anti-depressants....
What do you mean Melatonin isnt "licensed" in the U.K. ?????? You dont need a license or prescription to get it here in the USA.
Dont tell me the U.N. has already restricted your access to supplements there in the U.K... ??????

Old 08-18-2005, 09:05 AM   #10
Inactive
(male)

ratboy83 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonimo
I've been taking Calcium/Magnesium/Vitamin D combinations for several years now. For the most part it has helped me, but for some reason it doesn't seem to be helping as much lately. Look for about 1200mg/600mg/400mg respectivly, taken in divided doses, one of which being soon before bed.
i'd add a B-50 to that with your evening meal. will help with the realease of serotonin which is converted into melotonin in the body. it will also reduce anxiety.

alex.

Closed Thread