It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Vitamins & Supplements Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-16-2005, 11:37 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

schao HB User
Evening Primrose Oil

Hi,

Just wondering if taking two 500mg Evening Primrose Oil is the standard dosage for a day? The bottle says 3-6 everyday, but that seems like alot to me. Any help would be great!

Thanks!
schao

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-16-2005, 11:42 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

6foot3 HB User
Re: Evening Primrose Oil

For general maintenance thats fine unless you have a medical condition (anti inflammatory). Its an omega-6 so make sure your taking omega-3's with it to keep a balance. harry!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-16-2005, 09:15 PM   #3
(female)

Hypo2004 HB User
Question Re: Evening Primrose Oil

I heard that EPO helps balance excess testosterone converting to DHT, causing hair loss. I bought a 1300mg bottle and was told to take two a day. So, now I need to go buy Omega 3 also??? [SIZE=3]

Old 11-17-2005, 08:25 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

schao HB User

Hypo--

So are you saying EPO is supposed to help stop hair loss?
Is flaxseed an Omega 3?

schao

Old 11-17-2005, 10:10 AM   #5
(female)

Hypo2004 HB User
Question Re: Evening Primrose Oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6foot3
For general maintenance thats fine unless you have a medical condition (anti inflammatory). Its an omega-6 so make sure your taking omega-3's with it to keep a balance. harry!
Harry (6 foot 3) - Do you need to take omega 3s to balance evening primrose oil???

schao - the latest article I've read suggests that EPO slows hair loss and promotes growth. Not sure about flaxseed.

Old 11-17-2005, 04:41 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

6foot3 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypo2004
Harry (6 foot 3) - Do you need to take omega 3s to balance evening primrose oil???

schao - the latest article I've read suggests that EPO slows hair loss and promotes growth. Not sure about flaxseed.

Thats correct Hypo. Although Evening Primrose is a good omega-6 fat, you still need omega-3's to balance it out. (flax or fish oils) harry!

Old 12-22-2005, 08:42 AM   #7
(female)

stephanie25 HB User

How about the vit. E in the capsules. If you take more than 1-2 caps, you have already gone more than 100% of your daily need for vit. E. Since it is oil soluble, it is not a good idea to do that.

Old 12-22-2005, 09:32 AM   #8
Inactive
(male)

ratboy83 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by schao
Hi,

Just wondering if taking two 500mg Evening Primrose Oil is the standard dosage for a day? The bottle says 3-6 everyday, but that seems like alot to me. Any help would be great!

Thanks!
schao
it really depends on why you're are taking it. EPO is effective for many ailments. doses to for general good health can be low but other conditions demand a much higher dose, eg. 4-6 grams a day for eczema.

Old 12-22-2005, 09:38 AM   #9
Inactive
(male)

ratboy83 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephanie25
How about the vit. E in the capsules. If you take more than 1-2 caps, you have already gone more than 100% of your daily need for vit. E. Since it is oil soluble, it is not a good idea to do that.
there absoulutely no reason to worry about going slighlty over the RDA for vitamin E. the RDAs were set up to outline a daily average amount needed to prevent deficiency disease, not to necessarily promote optimum health. vit E is fat soluble but a large percentage of daily intake is excreted in the faeces and isn't stored to such an extent that it is regarded as falling in terms of categorisation as somewhere between a fat soluble and water soulble vitamin in terms of storage in the body. many people take many thousands times the RDA of vit E for its anti-oxidant properties. its safe for them. infact its very beneficial. taking slightly over the RDA of vit E is not dangerous at all.

alex.

Closed Thread