It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Vitamins & Supplements Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2006, 04:03 AM   #1
(male)

barginboyrob HB User
Best vitamins for clear skin

Hi, i was just wondering what people think the best vitamins are for clearer skin. I have quite clear skin with a few spots no and again

I am catered at uni, and i swear i don't get enough vitamins because the food is like school dinners!

Is it vitamin c
and Zinc?

Thanks for you help

Old 01-04-2006, 10:01 AM   #2
Inactive
(male)

ratboy83 HB User
Re: Best vitamins for clear skin

vitamin c- proper wound healing, colagen formation, strengthen the immune system and so prevent skin infections
vit A- often regarded as the "skin vitamin"
vit E- also needed for healthy skin
zinc- wound healing, prevent scarring in skin, strengthen the immune system and so prevent skin infections
copper- involved in poduction of melolin, the pigment in skin and for collagen formation
PABA- as above
most of the B complex are needed for health skin actually, a deficiency can result in various skin complaints, eg. biotin and inositol- eczema, B2, B3 and B6- dermatitis
calcium- needed for healthy skin

those are the ones i could think of off the top my head. your best bet is to take a high strength multi-vitamin of you're diet isn't great. that'll give you everything you need and will be in balance. get one with a good level of B vitamins and vit C if you're a student- these are are depleted by a stressful lifestyle (the typical stresses of student life being partying, not enough rest, studying alot(hopefully!) etc).

an evening primose oil supplement could also prove useful. its very effective at promoting healthy skin and is good for spots as its GLA content helps to balance oil secretions, thus reducing excessive oiliness in the skin and helping acne.

alex.

Last edited by ratboy83; 01-05-2006 at 07:07 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-04-2006, 10:10 AM   #3
(male)

barginboyrob HB User

thanks for that advice.

but which do you thihk will have the greatest effect , evening primose oil?

Cheers

Old 01-05-2006, 07:05 AM   #4
Inactive
(male)

ratboy83 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by barginboyrob
thanks for that advice.

but which do you thihk will have the greatest effect , evening primose oil?

Cheers
simplistically, i'd say evening primose oil, zinc and vitamin A and vitamin E (although the latter to a lesser extent).
what i would say though is that certain nutrients are needed for the proper absorption and utilisation of evening primose oil. it'll be more effective if you take it with these co-factors (zinc, vitamin C, most of the B-complex). for this reason its recommended to take EPO with a meal (the meal will contain these co-factor nutrients). but if your diet isn't great then you'll have to source these supplements from your diet supplements. baring this is mind you're best still is to take a multi-vitamin and mineral. this will give you these co-factors for the proper utilisation of the EPO but also all the other vits and minerals implicated in skin health. furthermore, even though only certain members of the B-complex are needed as co-factors, the b vitamins work better as one unit or complex anyway, so you may as well take them all (you'll get all of them in a multi-vit and mineral), and the Bs will sustain your nervous system in regards to energy levels and stress whilst you're studying and playing hard at 'uni.
in conclusion, take a high strength multi-vitamin/mineral and evening primose oil. it'll be more convenient, cheaper and more effective than taking the nutrients mentioned individually.

all the best on your course,

alex.

Old 01-05-2006, 06:13 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

6foot3 HB User

Dr. Nicolas Perricone of '' The Wrinkle Cure '' says it's the Omega 3's due to their anti inflammatory effect. Also Evening Primrose is good but its an Omega 6 so another reason for Omega 3's. (balance) later !!

Old 01-06-2006, 10:03 AM   #6
Inactive
(male)

ratboy83 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6foot3
Dr. Nicolas Perricone of '' The Wrinkle Cure '' says it's the Omega 3's due to their anti inflammatory effect. Also Evening Primrose is good but its an Omega 6 so another reason for Omega 3's. (balance) later !!
good recommendation. the fatty acid GLA in the EPO is converted into beneficial prostaglandins, which have a strong anti-inflammatory action (unlike normal omega 6 which is pro-inflammatory). the best type of omega 3 for this purpose is that in fish oil/ cod liver oil, principally EPA, which is also converted into prostagalandins. this type is more potent for this prurpose than the type found in vegetable sources of omega 3 like flaxseed. you can buy a combination product that contain both cod liver oil and EPO. i reckon thats your best bet along with a high strength multi vitamin/mineral.

alex.

Last edited by ratboy83; 01-06-2006 at 10:04 AM.

Closed Thread