It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Vitamins & Supplements Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-12-2006, 03:04 PM   #1
Inactive
(male)

Mattm4000 HB User
Omega 3 Fish Oil,How much? How long?

I have two questions concerning Omega 3 fish oil. I started taking Omega 3 for treatment of anxiety and depression. I don't eat any seafood at all and I have read alot recently about the benefits of Salmon. So I bought Salmon Oil, Omega 3 supplements from GNC. I am not sure how many to take though. The bottle says to take one or two capsules daily with each meal. Each capsule contains 180 mg of EPA and 120mg of DHA. I want to make sure I take enough so it can help my mood. My second question is how long does it take to feel results?

Thanks

Old 02-14-2006, 12:43 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

gort HB User
Re: Omega 3 Fish Oil,How much? How long?

Studies on major depression and fish oil used pure EPA, no DHA. They used 1000mg of pure EPA daily and patients showed significant improvement in one week. Some people reported their social anxiety improved too. The groups who took an EPA/DHA combination did not fair any better than the placebo group and the group that took DHA alone had no change at all. To read more about this study, check the thread on pg 2 or 3 (or 4) called Fish Oil and Antidepressants under Alternative Medicine board. We had quite a long discussion on it last month.

If you have Major Depression the only supplement available in North America that is formulated with this amount of EPA is Omega +Joy by Genuine Health. Each capsule has 500mg EPA and a small amount of DHA (25mg). You take 2 a day to get the amount of EPA used in the study. More than that has no improved effect. 4-9 grams/day were used for bi-polar group. Omega +Joy capsules are enteric coated, molecularly distilled so they are after taste and odour free. Also free of mercury/PCBs. I have never had stomache upset or burping or bad taste from them.

If you have Mild Depression it might be effective to take an EPA/DHA combo without the DHA interfering with the EPA's antidepressant effect. Generally speaking EPA helps major depression and DHA is good for ADHD. Both are fine for mild depression, but major depression requires a purer form of EPA with as little as possible DHA.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread