It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Vitamins & Supplements Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-11-2006, 06:08 PM   #1
(female)

fairycake HB User
Flaxseed oil - capsules or liquid?

Can anyone tell me if flaxseed oil is any less effective in capsule form?

Thank you.

Old 03-13-2006, 04:22 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

6foot3 HB User
Re: Flaxseed oil - capsules or liquid?

If it is sold refridgerated then it should be fine. Its highly oxidizing so it must always be refridgerated.If its room temperature discard it.........

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-14-2006, 10:16 PM   #3
(female)

angelique5 HB User

I have the capsules...and no where on the bottle has it said to refridgerate them... DOH! So, should I toss them and buy a new bottle? Do they lose their effectiveness if left at room temperature??

Old 03-15-2006, 03:33 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

6foot3 HB User

If it's an oil and not powder and room temp throw it out. In health food stores its only sold in the refridgerated section. In fact the bottles are solid dark so no light can enter it. Flax (oil) is highly oxidizing.......

Last edited by moderator2; 03-26-2006 at 05:45 AM. Reason: do not quote when you are the first to reply - please don't clog the thread with redundant quotes

Old 03-15-2006, 05:44 AM   #5
(male)

liverock HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairycake

Thank you.

I use the actual flax seeds themselves,one tablespoon twice a day, ground up in a coffee grinder and sprinkled on my breakfast cereal or in a smoothie.

The seeds have more lignans which is the part that gives you lower cholesterol and in animal studies has shown to be protective against breast and colon cancer and you dont need to store them in the fridge.

If you take the seeds on their own you need to drink a glass of water with them.

Old 03-15-2006, 10:50 PM   #6
(female)

angelique5 HB User

Thanks! I think I'll hit the health food store for a new bottle, and avoid the walmart vitamin aisle!!

Old 03-17-2006, 03:07 AM   #7
(female)

fairycake HB User

Thanks for the replies.

6foot3, neither of my local health food stores sell flaxseed oil refrigerated. Does the oxidizing process actually make it less effective or is it that it's harmful to your health?

I've been using an organic flaxseed oil from one of the stores to treat excema and it definately works. The problem is that the store has closed down and the other store only sells organic flaxseed oil in capsule form. I bought the non-organic liquid oil because I'm worried that the capsules won't work and that my excema will flare up. However unlike the one I was buying before, and like most other flaxseed oil, it doesn't even tell you to refrigerate it once opened or to use it within a certain time, so I sent them an e-mail and they said that refrigerating is just a guideline and as long as it is kept in a cool place it will keep perfectly fine. Now I'm seriously confused LOL. Are they mistaken?

liverock, I read up a little bit on the whole seeds sold for grinding and a couple of the sources said that they are usually lower in oil content in which case I'm not sure if they would be useful in treating excema. Do you know if this is right? I also read that they should be stored in the fridge .

By the way, the new flaxseed oil I've been using also has a much more bitter taste than the other one, it's absolutely horrible. Does this mean it's rancid or could it be due to the fact that it's cold-pressed and the other one wasn't? It smells okay if that's any indication.

Old 03-19-2006, 04:38 AM   #8
Inactive

peregrine HB User

Quote:

Thank you.
Not less effective but you have to take so much more of the capsules to equal the oil that it isn't worth the cost. Barleens is a good choice (capsules or oil) - Reputable company and they don't process the oil until the day it is shipped. Refrigeration absolutely necessary.

Last edited by peregrine; 03-19-2006 at 05:55 AM.

Old 03-19-2006, 11:22 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

6foot3 HB User

Again Flax oil sold in Heath food/Grocery stores is sold refridgerated and in dark containers because it is highly unstable and can go rancid.I personally would'nt take that chance once room temp as i've read the research on Oils/Lipids over the yrs. Also a great book ''Fats that heal / Fats that kill'' , is a great read if you want to learn more about Fatty Acids and how they interact in the body. Keep searching for a health food store that sells Flax refridgerated , do you have a Wild Oats, Whole Foods or Trader Joe's where your at.... Good luck....

Last edited by moderator2; 03-26-2006 at 05:45 AM. Reason: do not quote when you are the first to reply - please don't clog the thread with redundant quotes

Old 03-20-2006, 06:27 AM   #10
(male)

liverock HB User

Quote:

liverock, I read up a little bit on the whole seeds sold for grinding and a couple of the sources said that they are usually lower in oil content in which case I'm not sure if they would be useful in treating excema. Do you know if this is right? I also read that they should be stored in the fridge .
The flaxseeds contain about a1/3 of their weight in oil. You can try and see if they are effective. I have never stored them in the fridge nor have I heard that this is recommended.

Old 03-21-2006, 05:41 PM   #11
(female)

fairycake HB User

Thanks everyone.

I live in the UK and the health food stores here don't seem to keep flaxseed oil in the refrigerated section which is annoying. I did manage to find a UK website that sells Barleans though so I may try it. It's about 3x more expensive than the stuff I usually buy but I guess it's worth it.

My mistake about the flax seeds, I think they only need to be refrigerated once they've been ground, sorry.

Old 03-24-2006, 06:17 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(male)

6foot3 HB User

Fairycake... i you read this i was wondering if they sell Fish Oil softgels(omega 3) in the U.K... These have better stability than Flax Oil.......

Old 03-26-2006, 06:10 PM   #13
(female)

fairycake HB User

I've actually just started taking fish oil softgels but I don't know if it's the omega 3 that helps my excema or if it's something else in the flax oil like the lignans or something.

Old 03-27-2006, 08:20 AM   #14
(male)

liverock HB User

There are hardly any lignans in flax seed oil which is the main reason I eat the seeds.

Old 03-28-2006, 12:53 AM   #15
Inactive
(male)

Dan_Sims HB User

The best Flax seed by far is the Spectrum Organic Flax seed.
They did a study about Flax seed vitamins.
They tested 10 different brands.
Alot of the brands listed the Flax seed they sold as 1000 MG.
Most of them were testing 300 to 350 MG, instead of the 1000 MG they claimed.
The only Flax Seed vitamin that was 1000 MG was the Spectrum Organic Flax seed.

Closed Thread