It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Vitamins & Supplements Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-28-2006, 11:56 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(male)

Concerned Male HB User
Do any of these supplements interact negatively with each other?

I was planning on taking these supplements every day: Multi-vitamin, Omega 3 fish oils, Magnesium, Ginkgo Biloba, Rhodiola, and wheat grass capsules. I was wondering if it's ok to take all those supplements each day? Or will some of them have a negative reaction, or inhibit each other?

If it is ok to take all of those supplements every day, are their certain ones that I shouldn't take at the exact same time period of each other? For example, are there certain ones that I should leave a certain amount of time in between taking them?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-28-2006, 06:11 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

6foot3 HB User
Re: Do any of these supplements interact negatively with each other?

Hey concern.. those are all great dude..Take them twice a day with meals.Your ensuring longevity and anti aging for yourself...Im thinking that the only time to separate supplements is when taking ''Amino Acids'' on an empty stomach by themselves and also if your lacking Magnesium levels then dont take it with Calcium as they both require the same chelator for absorbtion and Calcium will win out..

Last edited by 6foot3; 03-28-2006 at 06:12 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-10-2006, 08:54 AM   #3
Inactive
(male)

ratboy83 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6foot3
also if your lacking Magnesium levels then dont take it with Calcium as they both require the same chelator for absorbtion and Calcium will win out..
hey 6 foot 3, i read this and was intrigued by this. would the same apply in some way to eating foods rich in magnesium with a food rich in calcium? i eat alot of raw muesli with calcium enriched soya milk. does this mean that i won't be getting much magnesium from my oats and brazil nuts due to the calcium of the soya milk? should i therefore buy non-calcium enriched soya milk instead for the muesli and drink calcium enriched stuff seperately? does it also mean that when i eat leafy greens, i only get the calcium form them and not the magnesium?

alex.

Old 04-10-2006, 11:50 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

6foot3 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratboy83
hey 6 foot 3, i read this and was intrigued by this. would the same apply in some way to eating foods rich in magnesium with a food rich in calcium? i eat alot of raw muesli with calcium enriched soya milk. does this mean that i won't be getting much magnesium from my oats and brazil nuts due to the calcium of the soya milk? should i therefore buy non-calcium enriched soya milk instead for the muesli and drink calcium enriched stuff seperately? does it also mean that when i eat leafy greens, i only get the calcium form them and not the magnesium?

alex.
Well food absorption is different from supplements as we have been absorbing minerals for thousands of yrs from food (paleo man ) maybe 100,000 yrs?? Who knows but supplement absorption has been around for maybe 100 to 150 yrs? Secondly it also depends on the amounts in the foods you consume which will have an impact one way or the other. That being said i my self try to separate these 2 minerals when consuming foods . Although i do mix Grains (mag) with Whey (cal) but i never drink Dairy with Sunflower Seeds or i'll take my Magnesium Citrate with Avacado so i can better my chance of magnesium absorption. Remember its involved in over 300 enzymatic actions in the body second only to vit-B6 ..... later !!

Old 04-12-2006, 06:26 AM   #5
Inactive
(male)

ratboy83 HB User

Quote:
Well food absorption is different from supplements as we have been absorbing minerals for thousands of yrs from food (paleo man ) maybe 100,000 yrs?? Who knows but supplement absorption has been around for maybe 100 to 150 yrs? Secondly it also depends on the amounts in the foods you consume which will have an impact one way or the other. That being said i my self try to separate these 2 minerals when consuming foods . Although i do mix Grains (mag) with Whey (cal) but i never drink Dairy with Sunflower Seeds or i'll take my Magnesium Citrate with Avacado so i can better my chance of magnesium absorption. Remember its involved in over 300 enzymatic actions in the body second only to vit-B6 ..... later !!
i dig what you're saying, but i read on a web site recently (was there investigating further for the "is milk good for you" debate) that if you don't take calcium with magnesium then the calcium can be deposited in arterial walls instead of being used for bone building or other bodily processes. it seemed it came from a reliable source (Dr. with a load of letters after her name). where did you read that its NOT good to take them together???

alex.

Old 04-12-2006, 11:42 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

6foot3 HB User

Quote:
i dig what you're saying, but i read on a web site recently (was there investigating further for the "is milk good for you" debate) that if you don't take calcium with magnesium then the calcium can be deposited in arterial walls instead of being used for bone building or other bodily processes. it seemed it came from a reliable source (Dr. with a load of letters after her name). where did you read that its NOT good to take them together???

alex.
Your right about Calcium and if that is a concern take them together as Magnesium plays a strong role in Calcium absorption as it does for Potassium. As my sources, well for starter a book i have in my library is the ''Anti Aging Manual ,The Encyclopedia of Natural Health'' , a 1488 page book of every Vitamin , Mineral ,Herb, Amino acid, Power Food and Disease protocol and Longevity Information manual. Chapter 2 page 115-119 Manesium :absorption.(competing sites) Also a member with Life Extension Foundation , monthly magazine subscription last 12 yrs always has articles about vit/min absorption rates , even their own Life Extension Formula has almost double Magnesium to Calcium for this purpose .(they do tons of clinical research on supplements for longevity. Also thru out the yrs other Magazines, Mens Health, Muscle Media 2000, Muscle and Fitness etc..Any way i could go on and on but i hope you get the picture. Lastly i dont just read a book and or a magazine and say what i just read is true but i compare yrs of reading and research of a supplement along with my own trial and error and then percieve my thoughts on it...... later !!

Last edited by 6foot3; 04-12-2006 at 12:03 PM.

Old 04-20-2006, 03:21 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

Concerned Male HB User

Quote:
Hey concern.. those are all great dude..Take them twice a day with meals.Your ensuring longevity and anti aging for yourself...Im thinking that the only time to separate supplements is when taking ''Amino Acids'' on an empty stomach by themselves and also if your lacking Magnesium levels then dont take it with Calcium as they both require the same chelator for absorbtion and Calcium will win out..
Thanks for the reply. On my multi-vitamin bottle, it says to take 2-4 tablets daily. But it doesn't say whether to divide the dose out. Right now, I'm taking one tablet, twice each day. But sometimes I forget to take the tablet earlier in the day. So by the time I take it, if it's pretty late, I just take two tablets at once, instead of dividing the dose out. But it's definitely more beneficial to divide the dose of multi-vitamins out throughout the day, instead of taking both tablets at once?

Old 04-28-2006, 11:33 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

NHone HB User

Quote:

alex.
If that doctor was Dr. Mildred Seelig, I would listen to here.. she is the world's foremost magnesium expert. I ask her about the magnesium and calcium together and she said you could take them together. She also said don't load up on the calcium. 1200-1500 mgs per day is plenty. This includes your food. A glass of milk (1 cup) has 300mgs of calcium. Also need the ratio of 2:1:1/3...that is 2 calcium , 1 magnesium and 1/3 of the calcium as vit D. extra magnesium will not hurt you as you body will dump what it does not need.

Closed Thread