It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Vitamins & Supplements Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-02-2006, 03:39 AM   #1
(male)

reefbrake HB User
vitamin/mineral supplements and ACNE

Hi everybody
i'm an 18 yo male with pretty bad acne
i was wondering what vitamins/minerals and herbs can be used to treat this condition.

currently i'm taking 100,000 IU's of vitamin A per day, 1/2 at breakfast, then 1/2 at dinner. i take this with 500IU of vitamin E
zinc at 440mg per day
2 B complex vitamins 2 times daily

thanks for your help in advance

Old 04-02-2006, 07:50 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

6foot3 HB User
Re: vitamin/mineral supplements and ACNE

100,000 iu's is too high, drop it down to 50,000 iu's daily. Secondly you need a good Multivitamin/Mineral supplement not just Zinc and B's as all the Vit's/Min's work in unison together and third get some Essential Fatty Acids (flax,fish oil) in your diet and fourth get a good Probiotic to clean out any Yeast/Fungas in the body......

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-02-2006, 12:53 PM   #3
(female)

Naturegal HB User

Hey Reefbrake,
I think taking supplements are good, but I agree with the last post be careful on the intake. I do want to share a regimen with you. This may get long, but could be worth reading. I suffered with acne from my mid 20's- to my present age 41. I tried everything including accutane 4-5 times over the 20 years, plus everything in else, oral antibiotics, topical antibiot, retinol, multiple topicals, perscribed by my dermatologist, anyway I won't go through the whole list, but believe me when I say it's long. I finally came across something that has worked, it's only been 3 months but I'm hoping the clear skin continues. The main regimen I got from a book off of Amazon, the rest is from other resources.
1. Clean and sanitize the skin with salicylic acid I use .5% with Aloe, the book calls for a 2% concentration, make sure the product you choose does not include any other active ingredients. Wait about 5 min and rinse off.
2.Remove the clog with Glycolic acid 10% - It's the most expensive part of the plan but soooo worth it. Glycolic acid dissolves plugs beneath the skins surface and reduces inflammation. Leave on for about 10 min the first couple of weeks, then rinse off, after 2wks it can be left on as long as desired, time permitting. Be careful with highly irritated skin, you should avoid application to those areas.
3.Run and ice cube over the areas you are treating to cool skin, be careful not to freeze your skin, and again reduces inflammation.
4. Apply benzoly peroxide product, I use BP Power pads 2.5%- remember no other active ingredient. Nothing higher than 2.5%. Leave on.-BP kills bacteria.
5. Apply a cool face pack for 10 min- to reduce inflammation.
6. During the day apply an oil-free moisturizer.
This 6-step program can be done in the morning & evenings, if itís too much just do once a day. It took about 2 months, for everything to completely clear up- but after about 2 weeks on the program, I noticed things were beginning to clear, almost the same as with accutane, without the side effects. The book stated most people clear up in 6 wks- some are completely cured. If it comes back just go back to the program.
Other tips- I eat 2-3 apples in the morning before anything else, make sure you wait at least a 1/2 hour before eating anything else. Fruit digests fast, and will ferment if eaten with other foods, apples will help move things along and cleanse the digestive track.
tip 2- drink lots of water- with a lemon wedge if you have it.
Eat lots of vegs- I usually eat a large salad for lunch with grilled chicken or tuna.
I keep my pasta and bread intake to a minimum.
Well I think thatís enough info to digest! I just can't understand why my Dr. never mentioned Glycolic acid Gel- I believe it has been the missing link. It sounds harsh but 10% Glycolic acid did not irritate my skin and my skin is sensitive.
Good Luck.

Old 04-04-2006, 05:56 AM   #4
Inactive
(male)

missingyou HB Usermissingyou HB User

id watch the vitamin a intake if you get really dry peeling skin then thats your problem. Thats what happend to me my lips became extremely dry and peeled. im still recovering as vitamin a is fat soluble(stores in your liver and releases slowly). I now know that a vitamin overdose is worse thena definciency

Old 04-04-2006, 09:07 AM   #5
Inactive
(male)

ratboy83 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6foot3
get some Essential Fatty Acids (flax,fish oil) in your diet.
Evening Primose Oil is of particular use for Acne as it has a balancing effect on oil secretions.

alex.

Closed Thread