It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Vitamins & Supplements Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-22-2006, 09:34 AM   #1
Inactive
(male)

thedeadrat83 HB User
Question hypothetical question about omega 6 and 3.

i know that the same enzyme is needed to convert linoleic acid into GLA as the one that is needed to convert alpha-linolenic acid into EPA and subsequently DHA. i also know that people in the atopic category (eczema, dermatitis, psoriasis, asthma) lack this enzyme and so are at risk of fatty acid deficiencies. taking this into account (if my understanding is right) if a person was an atopic and was to take fish oil supplements to provide EPA and DHA but didn't take a source of GLA such as Evening Primose Oil, could they potentially create a fatty acid inbalance in their body in favour of omega 3 over omega 6 (they would end with active omega 3 but no GLA as they lack the enzyme to synthethise it themselves and it hasn't been supplied from the diet)? if the answer is yes what effects would this have? (thought this was an interesting idea as most of the talk is usually of too much omega 6 and not enough omega 3!).

alex.

Old 05-22-2006, 10:49 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

6foot3 HB User
Re: hypothetical question about omega 6 and 3.

Too many omega'3s could be harmful in that they throw the Eicosonoid production out of whack but this is very rare .You don't just need Evening Primrose for omega 6's but most people comsumetoo much corn oil, safflower oil, sunflower oils etc and also grains have higher amounts of omega 6's oils so people are way out of whack by 10/20/50 to 1 ratios. Now if you did consume too many omega 3's well internal bleeding and hormones and neurotransmitters could be altered also immune function could be slowed down opposite of auto immunity although this is rare with most people so its hard to get an accurate account.......

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-23-2006, 07:27 AM   #3
Inactive
(male)

thedeadrat83 HB User

but i thought that omega 6 only becomes biologically useful when it is converted into GLA, so even though a person with eczema is getting plenty of omega 6 he/she will not be able to make GLA from this dietary omega 6, no matter how abundent its intake is due a lack of the necessary enzyme to make the conversion. i cited E.P.O. becuae it already contein GLA. so if no biologically active omega 6 is being created (GLA), no GLA is being sourecd from the diet, then GLA defiiciency would occur. the same would apply for the omega 3 but fish oil is being taken so no deficiency would occur. so wouldn't that mean an omega 6 deficiency but no omega 3 defiency, which would equate to a fatty acid deficiency??????

alex.

Old 05-23-2006, 11:02 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

6foot3 HB User

I think i see what your asking here....All omega-6 oils are linoleic acids..These are/can be converted by the enzyme ''Delta 6 desaturase'' to GLA. If these are not converted to GLA then it becomes ''Arachidonic Acid'' the mother inflammatory hormone. To have the Elongation take place on this enzyme you need magnesium,zinc,vit-b 3,6 and vit-c and on the other end high trans fats /saturated fats ,aging etc... can prevent this conversion so its a 2 prong approch.The same thing for GLA TO PGE1 for anti inflammatory benefits (eczema etc..) If this is good then why not take tons of GLA , well thats because only a tiny amount is needed say 6/7 grams a week. But over that then its conversion to PGE1 goes to PGE2 which is not good. So for eczema or other inflammatory concerns forget omega-6 and just take the converted DHA/EPA for ANTI inflammation concerns. Or as DR.Sears said in the ''Omega Zone'' just have one to two bowls of oatmeal a week and you'll get all the omega-6 you need....Hope that helps .......

Old 05-23-2006, 11:26 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

6foot3 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedeadrat83
i know that the same enzyme is needed to convert linoleic acid into GLA as the one that is needed to convert alpha-linolenic acid into EPA and subsequently DHA.
(Just to add from above post)
Yes and no as both Delta-6 and Delta-5 Desaturases are used to elongate but at different places on the conversion cycle. Just take Fish Oils and EPO and you don't have to worry about conversions.....

Closed Thread