It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Vitamins & Supplements Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-28-2006, 05:10 PM   #1
(female)

loveshinesthru HB User
high ferritin levels, anything i can take to get rid of?

i just got my lab results back the other day and my ferritin level is 201.normal is 18-160 i believe. i dont take iron supps, and i eat poorly. i dont have insurance til august. so i will have to wait til then for more testing to see if its my liver. i also have diabetes and low thyroid. is there anything i can do or take to lower my ferritin? im also very acidic. my pee doesnt even change the ph test strips.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-28-2006, 06:35 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

6foot3 HB User
Re: high ferritin levels, anything i can take to get rid of?

You didn't say what your iron levels were?? Ferritin is the protein carrier of iron so if its high then iron could be elevated although not always. If iron is high with ferritin then donating blood should lower the ferritin levels....Yes diabetes is a major cause of high ferritin and acidic levels in the body........

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-29-2006, 12:32 AM   #3
(female)

loveshinesthru HB User

i didnt get my iron checked. do you think i have cirrhosis of the liver? i am very worried. theres nothing i can do beside donating blood?

Old 05-29-2006, 02:51 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

6foot3 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveshinesthru
i didnt get my iron checked. do you think i have cirrhosis of the liver? i am very worried. theres nothing i can do beside donating blood?
Only your doctor can answer these as im just giving you my thoughts on it. That being said ....do you have Juandice (yellow eyeballs and/or skin) have you drank alchohol thru out your life? If no to these things then probably not Cirrhosis...Again Diabetes as you stated you have is a major cause of this. Also hard to give a better answer without knowing your Iron levels and im surprised they would check Ferritin and not Iron.....

Old 05-29-2006, 04:56 PM   #5
(female)

loveshinesthru HB User

no juandice, no to drinking alchohol. we checked my ferritin level cuz low ferritin can mimic being hypothyroid.but that wasnt the case. my dr noted that she wasnt sure why my ferritin was high.

Old 05-29-2006, 05:36 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

6foot3 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveshinesthru
no juandice, no to drinking alchohol. we checked my ferritin level cuz low ferritin can mimic being hypothyroid.but that wasnt the case. my dr noted that she wasnt sure why my ferritin was high.
O.k. i gotcha !! It also rare for women to have high iron levels...that being said your DR will know whats best and when you find out i hope you'll post back cuz i'm curious on the Ferritin levels....later !!

Closed Thread