It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Vitamins & Supplements Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-24-2006, 08:54 PM   #1
(male)

SteveGn HB User
Creatine vs. whey protein or use both

I have been lifting weights for size and strength and bought whey protein powder a couple weeks ago. Yesterday I also bought Creatine powder. According to the labels they both are for building muscle. Do I only need to be using one of these? If so, which one would give me the best gains? Or is alternating them each meal a better idea for maximum gain? Also, which one would be best to take immediately after a workout? Thanks very much!

Last edited by SteveGn; 06-24-2006 at 08:58 PM.

Old 06-25-2006, 10:28 PM   #2
(male)

BlueSky11 HB User
Re: Creatine vs. whey protein or use both

Best question ever!! =D I hope this helps.

The Myth
To increase muscle mass you don't actually need any additional protein in a day its a huge myth. That being said timing is crucial and taking a protein supplement can really help in muscle building because of its accessability and your bodies usage for it.

Creatine
To start I for one am against creatine supplements. Creatine I believe refers to creatine phosphate or in other words the system that produces energy for your muscles during anaerobic exercise(weight lifting). So it should be taken 45-60 minutes before exercise in order for your body to use it during exercise. The problem is the second you stop using the creatine your muscles won't be able to sustain the same instant energy output so your muscles revert back to where they were before you started using it. Meaning your building fake muscle. There has been lots of speculation about the side effects as well so its kind of use at your own risk type of stuff. The only good use it may have is before competitions etc. I would NOT suggest using it on a daily basis.

Whey Protein
Pertaining to muscle gain in order to build muscle you body needs a variety of proteins all through out the day. So we are talking a little bit of protein every meal 5-7 meals a day. Whey protein specifically should be used withint 30 minutes after exercise to allow muscles to have the protein they need right away in order to rebuild your muscle cells. Whey protein is what they call a fast release protein. It means that it goes right into your blood stream and gets to work so it should be used whenever you want a boost in muscle recovery(post exercise basically). You have to check the dosage on your supplement also because your body can only use 50g of protein which is far too much. I only take 18g after exercise and to help make it taste good I add in strawberries and bananas which also gives you a surving of fruit for the day.

Other proteins(casein, soy) can be used as an after dinner snack or used as part of a breakfast because they are slow release and can sustain your blood sugar levels over a period of time. Casein is the protein thats in milk so having a bowl of high fiber cereal in the morning with 1% or lower milk can be a small change that can significantly increase your muscle gains.

Hope This helps.

The whey protein I use as well as the meal replacement bars I use to try to fit in the 5-7 meals a day can be found at [url]DELETED[/url]

-bluesky11

Last edited by mod-anon; 06-26-2006 at 05:43 AM. Reason: please do not post commercial websites for any reason whether or not you personally benefit

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-26-2006, 05:50 AM   #3

mod-anon HB Usermod-anon HB Usermod-anon HB User

Please read and follow the posting rules.

Old 06-27-2006, 08:04 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

6foot3 HB User

Steve it depends on your goals and desires in this..If you want to be a bodybuilder/powerlifter or for high intensity sport outings then take both of them. But for me at i just take whey along with my food protein sources as i don't at 42 want to be huge anymore (not like back in the 80's) and instead longevity is my calling now. I think its cool when i play B-ball at the park and the 20 something lady's think my ''bod'' is cool. Cut and muscular but not freaky looking if you catch my drift. later !!!

Old 06-27-2006, 11:24 AM   #5
(male)

SteveGn HB User

Bluesky, Thanks for the time and effort. I'll admit, I've never heard of building fake muscle. I'm interested in hearing other's comments on that.

6foot3, Thanks also. I just joined a co-ed softaball league and want to make some quick gains - both size and strength. I'm 47 yrs. old, 6'2", 200 lbs. with a slight gut on me. My arms and legs are cut and lean but after I lose the gut, which with my fast metabolism I can get rid of in about 2 - 4 weeks, that would mean losing some undesired weight in my arms, legs, etc., thus the need for more mass right now. After I achieve that, I'll be switching over to the longevity mode that you're in. You mean those young gals actually notice us old guys if we're cut and muscular? LOL

Old 06-27-2006, 12:36 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

6foot3 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveGn
You mean those young gals actually notice us old guys if we're cut and muscular? LOL
Just don't wear any flashy jewelry or toupees.... LOL.... Later !

Old 07-02-2006, 08:07 PM   #7
(female)

Sartorius HB User

yeah us 'young gals' actually notice older guys. the main thing i look for is that you take care of yourself, not that you build muscle to please the ladies.

if you take a creatine powder supplement, lets just say you will have very expensive urine. i took a course on this type of stuff, so i know a bit, but i'm not an expert.

Old 07-06-2006, 04:38 PM   #8

Mitchypoo HB User

Creatine is a totally different thing from whey. Although Creatine is natural, whey is organic (if you get the right stuff). Whey wont interfere with Creatine and vice versa....it all depends on what you believe in, personally I don't see a problem with Creatine; I've been using KreAlkalyne for about 6 months now and am loving the results.

Either way, with proper diet + exercise, you WILL get big...with or without creatine/whey....whey is a little bit let risky as creatine requires crazy amounts of water consumptions (1-3 gallons a day) and will give you some of the worst pains you've ever had in your life if you don't consume the water and/or if you eat bad food (greasy, dirty bulkfood....high sugar/high fat food). Whey doesn't require exercise...

Old 07-06-2006, 09:08 PM   #9
(male)

SteveGn HB User

Mitchypoo, Thanks for the reply. You mentioned Creatine causing pains if inadequate amounts of water are consumed. Could you elaborate on the type pains you were referring to? Thanks, Steve

Closed Thread