It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Vitamins & Supplements Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-29-2006, 12:40 PM   #1
(female)

littlegirl53 HB User
l-carnitine vs acetyl l-carnitine

So, what's the difference between l-carnitine and acetyl l-carnitine? I am wanting to take it for energy. I noticed that Dr. Weil sells a product called Juvenon that is really just alpha lipoic acid and l-carnitine. It's very expensive so I decided to take my own individually. I looked up carnitine and discovered the two types. help!!!!

Old 06-29-2006, 12:57 PM   #2
Veteran
(male)

Charme HB User
Re: l-carnitine vs acetyl l-carnitine

Hi littlegirl53,

The acetyl part of the l-carnitine helps to produce acetylcholine which is the memory neurotransmitter. Making an assumption from the name "Juvenon" and it's ingredients, I'm assuming you want to imrprove your memory and reverse the aging process. If so then it's ALC you want and not the plain LC. In fact by not going by the pre-combined product which seems to use only LC you should see better results.

Best,
Charme

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-29-2006, 01:02 PM   #3
(female)

littlegirl53 HB User

Thanks for responding, Charme. Actually, i could use memory improvement but I am primarily looking for energy. So, do you know if the acetyl l carnitine will do both?

Old 06-29-2006, 01:10 PM   #4
Veteran
(male)

Charme HB User

Oh yeah it will do both, it's just another form of the same amino acid. Like...uhm...the improved version I suppose you could call it!

Old 06-29-2006, 01:55 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

6foot3 HB User

Yeah... the Acetyl form is better for the neurological functions of the body.It helps fire up the Mitochondria in the neurons for better cell function......

Old 06-29-2006, 05:38 PM   #6
(female)

littlegirl53 HB User

Thanks 6 foot 3 and Charme. Do you recommend any particular brands? Is Puritan's Pride ok?

Old 06-29-2006, 06:05 PM   #7
Veteran
(male)

Charme HB User

No probs. I couldn't help you with brand, first because I'm from the UK (I'm asuming you aren't!) so I don't know what brands you have available for you, and secondly I've never taken ALC myself. (Actually I'm off all vits &supps while I try to find a med for my depression.)

I checked one of my books for you though, and a couple of things in there you might want to know. First don't take ALC close to a meal so as to increase absorbtion. The second thing is (depending on how you feel about RDA, personally I don't believe in it though many do) take between 250 and 1,500mg a day --- try to find the right dosage to suit you.

Well sorry I couldn't answer the question you wanted answered, hope that info is a good substitute!

Best,
Charme

Old 06-29-2006, 06:59 PM   #8
(female)

littlegirl53 HB User

Thanks Charme. No, I'm not in the UK. Good luck with your depression. I see you started trying new drugs this month. How are they working for you?

Old 06-30-2006, 08:01 AM   #9
Veteran
(male)

Charme HB User

Thanks for asking littlegirl53. I'm treatment resistant which means that I don't get any benefit from the meds, on top of that I'm very prone to side-effects! Just like the others the meds I'm on at the moment aren't helping at all, and they're the last available to me. I have an interview soon to see if I can get a surgical implant called a vagus nerve stimulator which I'm hoping may do the trick. Fingers crossed anyway!

Old 06-30-2006, 09:22 AM   #10
(female)

littlegirl53 HB User

Charme, I have heard about those implants. I have heard that they are often very successful. Good luck with it all.

Old 06-30-2006, 06:07 PM   #11
Veteran
(male)

Charme HB User

Thanks littlegirl53. My first post on this forum was on the depression board asking about experiences with VNS. Nobody had heard of it, so it's ironic the first person I've spoken to who has heard of it is on the vits&supps board! Well good luck with the ALC, I hope it works for you.

Best,
Charme

Closed Thread