It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Vitamins & Supplements Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-17-2006, 02:41 PM   #1
(male)

FeludaX HB User
Health risks to taking too many pills at once?

This may seem like a stupid question but I've only recently started paying close attention to my health and I'm a bit of a noob. I've begun taking supplements and it occured to me that I'm swallowing about a dozen pills every morning after breakfast all at once, including no less than 9 pills in softgel form made out of gelatin. It seems like quite a bit and I wanted to make sure there weren't any risks to it, or if I should spread out taking him so my stomach isn't digesting a whole lot of pills all at once.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-17-2006, 04:28 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

6foot3 HB User
Re: Health risks to taking too many pills at once?

FeludaX.....Not a stupid question at all. You did't say what kind of supplements your taking and at what dosage....

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-17-2006, 06:06 PM   #3
(male)

FeludaX HB User

Right now in the mornings I'm taking 3000 mg of spirulina (5 soft gels), 2600 mg of flax seed oil (2 soft gels), 2 multi mineral soft gels (I don't know the dosage), one daily multi vitamin pill, two ginseng pills and 1 ginkoba pill. I'm also taking ginseng and ginkoba with lunch and I take the same dosage of flax seen oil, multi minerals and ginoba with dinner.

Old 07-17-2006, 07:17 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

6foot3 HB User

O.K...For starters the Gingko sticks out some what. Do you hve circulatory or tinnitus problems? Also 2 mineral gels and a multi-vitamin might be too much for minerals .But heres the rule of thumb on supplements....First do not exceed the fat solubles RDA (A,D,E,K) and on minerals do not take any Iron (except females) or Copper as these are highly oxidative. And do not take blood thinning herbs and aspirin etc..Overall it looks pretty good what your taking.....

Old 07-18-2006, 07:44 AM   #5
(male)

FeludaX HB User

Thanks for the info. I don't have any circulatory or tinnitus problems, nor do I take blood thinning herbs or aspirin. The only other supplement I take is whey protein. The multivitamin does have copper though. I suppose I could switch to individual vitamins so I can be more selective about it.

Last edited by mod-anon; 07-18-2006 at 09:53 AM. Reason: If you are replying to the post directly before yours, please do not quote the post. The server will run faster with fewer quotes. Thank you.

Old 07-20-2006, 09:41 AM   #6
(male)

halo789 HB User

6foot3 does your advice about staying away from Copper also apply if you are taking Zinc?

Old 07-20-2006, 10:56 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

6foot3 HB User

Copper and Zinc work together so its o.k. to have Copper in a multi supplement at the RDA, but i'd never go over the RDA and/or never purchase it separate(highly oxidizing). Also some research (ALS-TDF) showing that certain people who cannot metabolise copper properly may come down with ALS...

Old 07-29-2006, 02:27 PM   #8
(female)

*DottieGirl* HB User

I think I nearly over-dosed at one point. Well just kidding, but I was taking a LOT. I still take about 4 in the morning, about 2 at noon then maybe 2 before I go to bed. But I was taking waaaayyy to many at one point. Probably because I was sick, but I had to cut down because even that was making me feel weird and unnatural.

Closed Thread