It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Vitamins & Supplements Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-22-2006, 08:11 PM   #1
Inactive
(male)

Newguy1984 HB User
vitamins bad for your health?

I started taking vitamins like a year ago but today my mom gave me an article in a paper that kind of made me think twice.
Check this out:
Pharmaceutical companies persuades to use vitamins. They tell us that it is necessary for your health and complete your diet. But latest studies prove that taking vitamins not only won't do you any good but can be toxic for your health. "Vitamin E slows down aging process of skin, prevent heart attack and cencer" say doctors. Scientists think otherwise- vit E is bad for your heart and gives more odds of developing cencer! The more vit E you take the better the risk of early death. Bad for your healt is also taking one big tablet daily. Vit C is also overrated.Latest studies haven't proved its use to bust the imune system. Although big dosage of this vitamin can damage kidneys. The only good use of vitamins is when it's taken naturally by eating fruits, vegetables and fish.

I translated it cuz it was in another language but that is pretty much it.
What so you guys think?

Old 08-22-2006, 10:52 PM   #2
(male)

SteveGn HB User
Re: vitamins bad for your health?

Was the article also referring to other supplements such as mineral and herbal? Or was it just singling out certain vitamins?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-22-2006, 11:00 PM   #3
Inactive
(male)

easyrider09 HB User

your wrong- first of all there is no vitamin C in fish. [DELETED]
You take aspirin when you need it? Taking sodium tablets has been known to fortify your body with sodium. Taking prozac in a tablet will fortify your system with prozac! Taking vitamin C will do the same and so will E .... and so on and so on.....Drinking milk with calcium is proven to fortify your bones with calcium....so why do you have to discredit over 60 years of research???You drink orange juice because it is laden with vitamin C- drinking a 10 ounce glass of OJ is the same as eating a cup of fruit. they are now putting calcium in OJ because alot of people cannot drink cows milk.

Last edited by mod-anon; 08-22-2006 at 11:14 PM. Reason: inappropriate post

Old 08-23-2006, 01:12 PM   #4
Inactive
(male)

Newguy1984 HB User

These are not my words, just an artictle from a paper. I just want your opinion. The vitamins that I take were recomennded by a Medical Doctor that has been in nutrition field for quite some time and is studing longevity so when I stomped upon this article I was little suprised. We take vitamins to feel better and be healthier and not to put our bodies at risk.
Any more opinions?
Why would they write such an article?
Maybe it's true that it' best to get your vitamins form food and not taking tablets. I am little confused now...

Old 08-23-2006, 01:55 PM   #5
(male)

ViCyniC HB User

I always assumed that vitamain and mineral sources from natural foods were always more effective than pill form.

Old 08-24-2006, 10:16 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

6foot3 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newguy1984
But latest studies prove that taking vitamins not only won't do you any good but can be toxic for your health.
I always roll my eyes when i read something like this above statement.What Source is the LATEST STUDIES from.The studies i've been reading since 1985 to the present say alot different. i.e. Muscle and Fitness mag, Mens Health, Mens Fitness, Life Extension magazine, Alternative Medicine mag, Scientific American mag, Discover mag, MIT Technology Review any way i could go on but i think these are goods sources to verify that supplements next to diet are very important.(except Iron for men and high Copper as these are highly oxidating in high amounts)......

Old 08-26-2006, 10:31 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User
Lightbulb Re: vitamins bad for your health?

I think in todays world with fast food other food so overly processed/ preserved and depleted of many nutrients and fruits and veggies grown in soil that is depleted of vitamins and minerals --- and nutrients!!

Taking vitamins, minerals and supplements is not only the way to maintain good health but a smart think to do.

I suggest that you beome very proactive and find out as much as you can!!

Harry

Old 08-27-2006, 01:17 PM   #8
Inactive
(male)

Newguy1984 HB User

I think you should not believe an article that lack of prove and only states some facts that you can't find anywhere else.

thx guys

Old 08-31-2006, 07:06 AM   #9

allforlorn HB User

wonder what 6foot3 would say about this?

Old 09-02-2006, 11:54 PM   #10
(female)

akazie HB User

I don't really believe this. In 2002 Australian researchers said that taking a multi-vitamin everyday increases your life span by three years, after hearing this I started to take vitamins and I feel a lot better now.

Old 09-05-2006, 09:08 AM   #11
Inactive

lindamh HB User

I saw such an article recently, on CNN's website I think, were they were saying how some vitamins could be toxic. But it was an extremely stupid article that had no valid points or information whatsoever. At the very least, it should have named a few of the common vitamins that could build up in your system and be toxic. But no.

The lack of actual information in what's supposed to be news articles is one of my biggest pet peeves. How people can write so many paragraphs about nothing is amazes me.

Old 09-05-2006, 08:45 PM   #12
Inactive
(male)

Newguy1984 HB User

exactly lack of actual information, no proof just empty words. I think if this articles were real we would hear more and more about it yet all we see is people taking vitamins and eating well plus taking good care of themselfes really looking good in their 40s 50s 60s with great health. I personally know a few

Old 09-10-2006, 05:29 AM   #13
(female)

bellsudev HB User

Remember that most medical doctors do not study nutrition, and many doctors hand out samples of meds given to them by the pharmaceutical companies, sometimes without being aware of the results, unfortunately. pharmaceutical companies are in the business of selling drugs, and also many pharmaceutical companies are linked to some very lucrative chemical companies. Vitamin's have become big business, and many drug companies see them as a threat, although there are drug companies that now sell vitamins as well as drugs, drugs are far more expensive and bring in huge dividends to the drug companies, therefore our advertisments are full of their ads. When you read these articales, always see who is writing the articale, supposedly our food and drug administration is there to protect the average consumer, but they have become bedfellows with the big corporations so even their advice is slanted. When taking vitamins, in the amounts you have described, you would have nothing to worry about, unless you were allergic to some ingredient that was in the vitamin or in the capsule or coating on the vitamin.

Sometimes a vitamin is presented that has not been around very long, and not much information has come to the public's attention, but if a vitamin has been around for a long time such as C, E, A, and B's you have ample testimony from a large group of people that have taken it and been helped by it verses a study put together by a drug company, etc. whose main objective is to draw you away from vitamins and into taking the drugs that of course would put more money into their very big pockets. So study's are not that reliable when it comes to telling you whether a vitamin does it's job or not, simply because there are to many veriables

we as a society are daily being seduced by all the advertisement, that is constantly being pushed on us from t.v. billboards, magazines etc. and for the seniors amoung us, many have had years of thinking doctors were next to God. taking as absolute fact any and everything a doctor said as the real facts.

The bottom line is you need to ask your self how you feel, do you feel better since your doctor put you on the vitamins, if you have only been taking them a short while, you may not experience any real changes, vitamins take time to do their job, sometimes months, where as drugs have a more immediate effect. but drugs tend to treat the effect, where as vitamins airm for the cause. In the end it comes down to common sense, and diligence in knowing what your taking, what it is composed of, and why your taking it. Your the captain of your ship.

Closed Thread