It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Vitamins & Supplements Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-14-2006, 07:20 AM   #1
(male)

Glenzo HB User
Question Men and Evening Primrose Oil

Hi,

I've been reading up on Evening Primrose Oil and whilst it is more popular with women for PMS, Menstrual reasons etc. It is also claimed to be beneficial to Adults all round.

Apparently it's good for the skin and mood. I thought it may help my Anxiety.

What other benefits may it have for men??

Any guys tried it??

Glenzo (31)

Last edited by Glenzo; 09-14-2006 at 07:20 AM.

Old 09-14-2006, 05:10 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

6foot3 HB User
Re: Men and Evening Primrose Oil

Is Evening Primrose Oil good for men ? Well lets look at it and then decide.....Its an Omega-6 fatty acid that has GammaLinolenic Acid which helps produce Prostaglandins or Hormones that have an antiinflammatory effect in the body. Its supposed to help lower blood pressure, diabete's, arthritis, multiple sclerosis, eczema, neuropathy, salivary glands etc...

Sounds pretty good except that its a double edge sword. While its needed for the health of the body most of us consume way too many Omega-6 fatty acids daily (grains, cooking oils, fast/junk foods) so in doing so allows this good fat to be converted to Arachidonic Acid which is the Master Inflammatory Hormone in the body which sends out destuctive Cytokines, Interleukins,and Tumor Necrosis Factor which cause most of the inflammatory diseases in the body. So if you take it just take small amounts daily (500 mg) and make sure to take the Omega-3 oils with it....Later !!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-15-2006, 05:24 AM   #3
(male)

Glenzo HB User

Hi there,

Are you saying then to take a small dose say in the morning of Evening Primrose, followed by a dose of Omega 3 Fish Oil in the evening, or is it okay to take them together?

You seem to be knowledgeable here, are you in the medical profession?

Thanks

Old 09-15-2006, 02:40 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

6foot3 HB User

Glenzo...however you take them is up to you as for me i mix all my oils together twice a day and add with them ''Mixed Tocopherols'' as this superior form of vitamin-E will help keep them from turning rancid in the body...

No i'm not in the medical profession field. I started bodybuilding at 21 in 1985 and read everything i could over the last 20 yrs about how the human body worked in accordiance with nutrition and supplements...A great book in my personal library about Fatty Acids and how they work in the body is ''Fats that heal/Fats that kill'' by Udo Erasmus....later !!

Closed Thread