It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Vitamins & Supplements Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-19-2007, 06:31 PM   #1
(female)

thatgirltoo HB User
Question Vitamin supplements for dry skin?

Hi,

I have such dry skin, especially during the winter, that the skin on my fingertips and knuckles will split apart. It is so painful! I try to put on lotion often, but I'm wondering if there are any vitamins I could take that would make my skin better.
I do drink a lot of water already.

Thanks for any advice!!

Old 01-21-2007, 06:06 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

6foot3 HB User
Re: Vitamin supplements for dry skin?

thatgirltoo....There are basically two ways to hydrate skin internally. The Oil Glands produce Sebum which keeps skin moist and also the skin cells themselves are made of fat which aids in this. Both ways here are contigent on what you eat as in what types of fats you consume. Eating Omega-3,6,9 fats will help the Oil Glands work better and also support the Fatty Membranes that surround each skin cell.

Some fats sources that are good are Fish and Flax oils. Seeds and Nuts have these oils and of course Olive oil is a must. In fact rub Olive oil on dry skin to help externally as well as taking internally.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-21-2007, 11:01 AM   #3
(female)

thatgirltoo HB User

Thanks 6foot3 for the information

I have just started taking flaxseed oil capsules and was wondering if these are as good as taking the actual oil? I am not too sure if I could stomach taking the oil. Also, you mentioned Omega 3, 6, and 9. I saw a supplement in the store that contained all of these, would that be better than just taking flax?? I had thought I read somewhere that people usually get enough 6 and 9, but then again I am not by any means an expert in any of this, thus all the questions!

I cook with olive oil every day. Is that enough? I never thought about putting it on topically - I'll have to try that!

Old 01-21-2007, 12:20 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

6foot3 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatgirltoo View Post
Also, you mentioned Omega 3, 6, and 9. I saw a supplement in the store that contained all of these, would that be better than just taking flax?? I had thought I read somewhere that people usually get enough 6 and 9

I cook with olive oil every day. Is that enough? I never thought about putting it on topically - I'll have to try that!
You can take that supplement but i'd just take either Fish or Flax oil as these are the omega-3's and omega-9 is found in Oilive oil. Usually a tbs a day of Olive oili fine. Also try to stay off lots of grains as these are high in inflammatory omega-6's. We need omega-6 but we eat so much grains or grain base foods that we are way over in omega-6 compared to omega-3 fatty acids...

Old 01-21-2007, 07:04 PM   #5
(female)

thatgirltoo HB User

Thanks, 6foot3! I hope you don't mind if I ask a couple more questions ...... but fish oil vs flaxseed oil, is one better than the other? Plus, the flaxseed oil is 1,000 mg per capsule, and the bottle says to take 3 per day, wondering if this is a good amount to see a difference in skin hydration.

I hope I'm not bothering you, just that you seem to know a lot Thanks!

Old 01-22-2007, 04:55 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

6foot3 HB User

Thatgirltoo.....although both are high in the healthy omega-3 fats....Fish oil is superior to Flax in that it also has the Super healthy acids EPA and DHA. Flax oil can be converted by cetain enzymes to EPA/DHA but why have your body do that when Fish already has this.Usually vegetarians or those bothered by the after taste will take Flax instead.

3000 mg of Flax is fine for people with no health issues but since your concern is dry skin i would experiment and raise the amount you take. As long as your not taking asprin on a daily bases then it should be safe (omega-3's thin blood)....Have a nice day

Old 01-22-2007, 08:34 AM   #7
(female)

thatgirltoo HB User

Thanks again, 6foot3, for being so helpful!!

Closed Thread