It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Vitamins & Supplements Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-25-2007, 11:52 AM   #1
(male)

moomooemu HB User
Question on Flax oil, omega 3's, Primrose oil, Borage Oil,fish oil etc

Ok so first of all I was looking at an acne messageboard because I have acne and I'm looking to help reduce it. I was reading a post and it said to take Primrose, Borage and Flax oil. I'm 17 and weigh 180.

Now, I don't really know what to take because I've been reading what other people have to say. I read that you should not take additional omega 6's because you already will get them in a regular diet. So would I better off just taking omega3's rather than flax oil?

So what do you guys reccommend that I should take?

I was thinking about buying Udo's Choice Oil Blend(3-6-9) because it was reccomended by a friend and its supposed to be the best flax oil on the market. I think you may have read his book ''Fats that heal/Fats that kill'' so he seems like a really knowlegble guy.

Now should I even take the Primrose and Borage? Or stick with just the flax oil, or even fish oil? Or should I take a combo.

As for my diet of grains, I eat 1 peice of wheat bread in the morning, 2 pieces for a sandwitch at lunch, and then this nature valley whole grain bar. And thats pretty much it for grains.

Also I have some questions on whether this is true. Someone posted this, "I have read a number of articles saying that Flaxseed oil may be link to Prostrate Cancer in men. I will try to locate an article " and "Same here tyz. Not to mention, the body does such a horrible job converting ALA to EPA/DHA, why bother with the flax even if it wasn't linked to prostate cancer?"

So would it even be worth it to take flaxseed oil it our body cannot convert it.

I have no idea what to take, what combo of things to take. Hopefully 6foot3 can help me or any of you guys. Oh and I plan on taking Alive by Nature Ways Multivitamin without Iron, so that should be good.

Any other supplements I should take or tips are appreciated. Thanks!!

Also, can you post some reputable brands and reccommended doses if you reccomend me anything. Thanks

Last edited by mod-anon; 02-27-2007 at 09:23 PM. Reason: posted commercial websites

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-25-2007, 02:59 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

6foot3 HB User
Re: Question on Flax oil, omega 3's, Primrose oil, Borage Oil,fish oil etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by moomooemu View Post
So would I better off just taking omega3's rather than flax oil?

I think you may have read his book ''Fats that heal/Fats that kill''
Moomooemu...although you ask alot of questions i did save your quote about Flax and Omega-3. Flax is a majority Omega-3 fatty acid also along with Fish oils and Walnuts. Its just that Fish oils are already elongated as Flax has to be done by specific enzymes. And yes i do own the book you mentioned as it is a good read about Fatty Acids.

I remember my acne well when i was 17 back in the 80's. Do they still make ''Stidex'' acne facial cleaners ? I didn't have a clue back then but here's what i'd do in you situation.....First diet is the most important thing so eat an Anti-Inflammatory diet and that means low saturated fats and low glycemic carbs. No junk foods or fast foods at all. Lots of chicken or turkey breast and salmon or egg whites with vegetables especially Onions as these have lots of Quercetin and Blueberries and/or Apples for energy foods.

As for Fatty Acids go for lots of Omega-3's as these are the best Anti-Inflammatories (forget 3/6/9) so take 10 grams a day (10 soft gels) with meals and also Zinc is good (30 mg a day). For topical you could check at the health food store or organic grocery store and see if theyt sell Tea Tree oil facial cleanses. Here's a neat pointer and that is brew some Green Tea in a cup (2 tea bags) and drink it (anti-inflammatory) and when done squeeze the tea bags in your hands and rub all over the affected areas as this is very good for acne lesions (after shower and before bed).

Just hang tough with these tips and i believe you'll improve. Remember its because your Hormones are in high gear but being in an non-inflammatory state your body will be able to battle this better. Best Wishes to ya !!

Last edited by mod-anon; 02-27-2007 at 09:48 PM.

Old 02-25-2007, 03:07 PM   #3
(male)

moomooemu HB User

6foot3, Thanks! thanks for the info and for the tips for acne although I already have all that covered. I have a whole regimen that works great! I just want to eliminate acne as much as I can with additional supplements. And I'm beginning to eat alot healthier so its all good. eating fruits and veggies and avoid bad foods. I'm just more worried about getting the right supplements and vitamins.

So forget about Primrose,Borage and flax? And just stick with 10 capsules Omega 3's(fish oil?) and 30mg of zinc? Do you have any good brands for them?

But I thought Primrose was supposed to be good for anti-inflammatory things? And I mean I just don't want to take all of this stuff for just acne, I want an overall improved health and also skin tone.

Last edited by mod-anon; 02-27-2007 at 09:49 PM.

Old 02-25-2007, 03:20 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

6foot3 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by moomooemu View Post

So forget about Primrose,Borage and flax? And just stick with 10 capsules Omega 3's and 30mg of zinc? Do you have any good brands for them?

But I thought Primrose was supposed to be good for anti-inflammatory things?
When you consume omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids they are good for the body and needed as they are Essential fats. But when you consume high doses of omega-3's your body creates DHA and EPA which is a super molecule for healing the body where as if you consume high doses of omega-6's your body creates Arachidonic Acid which is very pro-inflammatory.

So yes you can take Evening Primrose as its good but we consume so much omega-6 fats in foods i.e. all grain products and also baking oils so if these are low in the diet then its ok to take Primrose.

Last edited by mod-anon; 02-27-2007 at 09:49 PM.

Old 02-25-2007, 03:24 PM   #5
(male)

moomooemu HB User

Ahh ok, gotcha. I guess I will stay with omega 3's and maybe stick in omega6's later.

So I would take fish oils right for omega 3's? Do you have any good brands for them?

And how necessary is the zinc? wouldn't the multi vitamin take care of that?

Last edited by mod-anon; 02-27-2007 at 09:50 PM.

Old 02-25-2007, 04:03 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

6foot3 HB User

The brands that i take mostly are ''Now'' Products. Why ..because they have a huge selection and the prices are very good and i trust them to be truthful in the amounts that they list. I get them at a local health food store.

As for Zinc its very important for Acne but most multivitamins have 15 mg which is 100%rda but you need 30 mg a day which is double so taking a Zinc Gluconate will ensure you get enough of this mineral.

You have a good attitude for your health at 17 so i know you'll do well in life. Take Care !!

Last edited by mod-anon; 02-27-2007 at 09:50 PM.

Old 02-27-2007, 02:59 PM   #7
(male)

moomooemu HB User

Sorry, 6foot3 last slew of questions heheh.

Would I really have to take 10 gels of fish oil a day? I thought the recommended dose on the bottle was 2-6 gels per day as said on bottle. So if I do 10 a day that would last a 100 bottle 10 days and a 180 bottle 18 days. So if I get the 100 gel capsules I would have to get 3 of them per month? Dang thats alot. Would you reccommend that I slowly ramp up the dosage like start out with like 2 then 4 then 6 then 10 eventually? And is there a more cost efficient way of buying this?

As for the Zinc, The brand that I found (Now) offers it in a 50mg. So along with the multi this would be 65mg of zinc. You said I should take 30mg though. Would 65mg be too much?

Also, whenever I get these supplements, do you reccomend that I refigerate them?

Last edited by mod-anon; 02-27-2007 at 10:15 PM.

Old 02-27-2007, 03:21 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

6foot3 HB User

After thinking about what i said to you about taking 10 gels a day (10,000 mg) i think you should start out at 2/4/6/8/10 gels (as you suggested) over a period of time and see how that affects your acne status. It will take a while to work so be patient. Maybe in 30 days if no difference then try to add more . I do need to warn that there is a risk of bleeding issues when taking lots of fish oils. I buy the Now Products at 200 softgels at $6.50 where i get them. So for me since i take around 300 gels a month and that costs me about $9.00 a month (very inexpensive). Always refrigerate the omega-3's as they can spoil easily. As for Zinc ...keep looking at different brands as i wouldn't go over 30/35 mg a day of Zinc....

Last edited by mod-anon; 02-27-2007 at 10:15 PM.

Old 03-04-2007, 10:24 AM   #9
(male)

moomooemu HB User

ok

I could not find a Zinc Gluconate yet but I did find a Zinc-15 Asporotate which has 15 mg Zinc (as Zinc Aspartate, Zinc Citrate, Zinc Orotate) and also 10 mg of Sodium. So in total that would make 30 mg of Zinc along with the multivitamin. Would this be good or should I really try to stick with the Zinc Gluconate? Or does it even matter...are there pro's and con's of taking one or the other?

Thanks

Old 03-05-2007, 01:26 AM   #10
(male)

bstinch HB User

dude... a lot of us have already been there and done that. good advice from all. being from a family that has had acne through the generations, i have tried virtually everything i could relating to acne ....i used` to drink a ton of milk when i was ur age, always trying to gain weight. this was part of my problem....also, i never drank enough water....that's part of nature's defense mechanisms...drink 10-12 glasses of 8-10 oz of water a day...give it a couple of weeks and it will help with your acne....lay off of the cokes good luck

Last edited by bstinch; 03-05-2007 at 01:28 AM.

Closed Thread