It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Vitamins & Supplements Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-14-2007, 05:59 AM   #1
(female)

Texanne HB User
Coconut Oil?

I have been reading a lot about coconut oil lately, but I can't find any peer-reviewed journal articles or even anything that seems to be backed up with science. I've found a Dr. Enig, a Dr. Peat, and a company called Mercola, but they all have a vested interest (books, products) in the success of coconut oil as the "new" thing. It's good for your skin, your heart, your metabolism...The information about the oil's superior shelf-stability, lack of rancidity, etc... all make sense, but I'd love to here from some of you out there!

Old 03-16-2007, 04:15 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

6foot3 HB User
Re: Coconut Oil?

Texanne....i have never used coconut oil but here's what i know. The low carbers love it as it is a saturated fat thats high in MCT or Medium Chain Triglycerides which are a very good energy source also is a good natural skin protector from the sun as these fats get in the skin cells and protect the skin cells from oxidizing do to heat and uva/uvb radiation from the sun . It doesn't spoil or become rancid and can resisit heat very well hence coconuts grown in the hot tropics.

I'd only make sure not to go overboard as it still could cas the platelets to clump and raise inflammation levels in certain people do to its high saturated fat content.

Last edited by 6foot3; 03-16-2007 at 04:15 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-17-2007, 08:20 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Isis498 HB User

Well, I use it to cook with all the time, and just ordered a gallon of it which came in the other day. I also got a jar of concentrated coconut cream to use in cooking, like smoothies, Indian dishes, cakes, things like that.

Anyway.....I did a lot of reading before I went ahead and ordered such a large amount, and finally found a site that did not seem to be selling anything. So, it was not predudicial. It was written by a
Coconut Research center. It had all the information you could ever imagine about coconuts. I imagine it is similar to sites like the ones for Beef, Wheat, Corn, etc. for farmers that you see.

Anyway, I've used it for a couple of years now, and it's in my opinion one of the best options of an oil to use, that is natural for the human body.

As in anything else, all things in moderation.

Old 03-17-2007, 07:13 PM   #4
(female)

littlegirl53 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isis498 View Post
Well, I use it to cook with all the time, and just ordered a gallon of it which came in the other day. I also got a jar of concentrated coconut cream to use in cooking, like smoothies, Indian dishes, cakes, things like that.

Anyway.....I did a lot of reading before I went ahead and ordered such a large amount, and finally found a site that did not seem to be selling anything. So, it was not predudicial. It was written by a
Coconut Research center. It had all the information you could ever imagine about coconuts. I imagine it is similar to sites like the ones for Beef, Wheat, Corn, etc. for farmers that you see.

Anyway, I've used it for a couple of years now, and it's in my opinion one of the best options of an oil to use, that is natural for the human body.

As in anything else, all things in moderation.
I have always wondered about its flavor in cooking. For example, If I stir fry veggies in it will my veggies have a coconut flavor?

Old 03-18-2007, 06:08 AM   #5
(female)

Texanne HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlegirl53 View Post
I have always wondered about its flavor in cooking. For example, If I stir fry veggies in it will my veggies have a coconut flavor?
Thanks to all of you for your replies.

Littlegirl: My understanding is that the more refined the coconut oil is, the less coconut smell, flavor, etc... The only coconut oil I have found locally is LouAna coconut oil at Walmart. It is refined to the point that there is no odor or flavor to speak of. Some of the proponents of coconut oil have suggested using it for things that you don't wish to taste like coconuts! I love coconut flavor, aroma, so I wouldn't mind, but it is cheap ( $ 3 at Walmart).

I don't really use a lot of oil to speak of, but I have been stir-frying shrimp and zucchini in it....yum...

Old 03-22-2007, 01:50 PM   #6
(female)

criscobaby HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texanne View Post
Thanks to all of you for your replies.

Littlegirl: My understanding is that the more refined the coconut oil is, the less coconut smell, flavor, etc... The only coconut oil I have found locally is LouAna coconut oil at Walmart. It is refined to the point that there is no odor or flavor to speak of. Some of the proponents of coconut oil have suggested using it for things that you don't wish to taste like coconuts! I love coconut flavor, aroma, so I wouldn't mind, but it is cheap ( $ 3 at Walmart).

I don't really use a lot of oil to speak of, but I have been stir-frying shrimp and zucchini in it....yum...
I understand the best way to go is unrefined, unbleached, non-hydrogenated, etc. It is high in saturated fat, but if it's non-hydrogenated, the saturated part is supposedly moot. It's saturated, hydrogenated that's supposed to be bad. I get mine at GNC and use it in smoothies and coffee. It is white, smells like coconut and has a mild coconut flavor.

Old 03-24-2007, 05:37 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

MaxOT26 HB User

I use coconut oil all the time and have for years. I use it as a butter replacement in my veggies, and I love cooking with it. It is very good for you but you want to stay within a couple tablespoons a day of it.

Old 03-29-2007, 06:15 PM   #8
(male)

naturodude HB User

I have used raw, organic coconut oil. I can't stand the flavor, so I have stopped, but there is another oil that has the same great MCT benefits--grapeseed oil!! But, I do recommend coconut oil to alot of people.

Closed Thread