It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Vitamins & Supplements Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-16-2007, 04:18 PM   #1
(female)

fiveoffive HB User
Question very new to vits .. help ??

Hi!
Forgive me if I seem 'dumb', I am when it comes to diet and vitamins. I just started taking vitamins. After reading so much here, I'm not sure what I am doing.

I started taking just yesterday :1 multi- omega 3,6,9 (whatever that means?) Vit-C, Biotin and a calcium chew well two a day of those. and only because I like them and my mom takes them.

I did learn to put the fish oils in the fridge But those are the most confusing to me. The bottle says : Flax, Fish, Borage Oil. Contains Omega 3,6,9..
Now, on the back it says essential oil blend: black currant oil (seed) Borage oil (seed) Evening Primrose oil (seed)
it also says it has Vit.E asd-alpha tocopherol 5 IU whats IU and is that bad ?

Mind you, these are all 'cheap' because I didnt really know what to get and I plan on doing better but want to do it with at least some knowledge. I took the multi and the oils together yeasterday mroning and two hours later..lol was sooo sleepy,not sure if the vits had anything to do with it as I was lacking sleep anyway.

I think my question is.. Are those up there good to start with? I am wanting to A). tajke something to help with perimenopause symptoms, B) Just start an overall better health plan. I am not overweight by too many pounds and I am fairly healthy I think. My diet is awful I think, I do try to limit junk food and fast foods. eat a lot of tuna and chicken and fresh spinach. things like that, not alot of red meat. drink water and apple juice. and milk. sprite...

I dont know Im just lost. any help would be great !1 Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-19-2007, 10:45 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

6foot3 HB User
Re: very new to vits .. help ??

fiveoffive...the omega 3-6-9 are different oils that do different things for the body. The omega-3 (linolinec acid) is mainly found in Fish, Flax and Walnuts. The omega-6 (linoleic acid) is found in most Grains, Borage and Evening Primrose. The omega-9 (oleic acid) is found mainly in Olive oil, Avacados and Macadamia nuts. These Good Fats help clear the arteries of plaque, help dry hair and skin retain moisture, help the immune system work but not over attack and for inflammatory pain etc...

The vitamin E I.U. stands for Internatational Units.Thats a measurement of Fat soluble vitamins. The 5 I.U. is there to keep the oils from spoiling or going rancid.

Try to get a whole food supplement as these are best for the body to reconise as natural. They usually have green foods and fruit extracts.

But remember the most important thing is still a good diet but supplements help fill in the gap when thats not poissible.....

Last edited by 6foot3; 03-19-2007 at 10:46 AM.

Old 05-26-2007, 08:28 AM   #3
(male)

vitamindaddy HB User
Lightbulb Re: very new to vits .. help ??

I think it is great you are curious. Alot of people just go for the cheap stuff as long as it looks good. I believe that we are what we eat. "Garbage in , garbage out." This is true emotionally, spiritually, and financially as well. Just try and deposit a check with no funds to support it.
Whole food vitamins are, in my opinion the safest and easiest for our bodies to absorb.
When it comes to minerals, chelated minerals (Joined to an amino acid) helps the digestive tract identify the mineral as food and absorb it into the blood stream. Otherwise we may as well go to the bathroom, pour the "vitamins" down the camode and flush. That is where it is going anyway.
Stabilized flora, (PRObiotics) helps support the immune system. Stress, soda pop, and some medications, such as antibiotics depleat our system of this good bacteria. Stabilized, means it will only become active in your body under thi right temperature and the proper PH. The un stable version have to be refrigerated.
Enzymes. We are learning more and more that God made the food we eat with everything in it. We cook out the enzymes (digestive, protialitic, metabolic etc.) at 118 degrees F. So we need (my opinion) to supliment.
Did you know why vegatibles rot? Enzymes, are digesting them. This "ripens"the fruit and vegetables. So when we cook our food, it lacks the enzymes to digest itself. We must replace these enzymes, or the food we eat sits in our stomach undigested or indigested. So what is the popular solution? Anti-acid pills. We end up treating the symtoms and not solving the problems. Then we tell our friends myths like, "that is just how I am"
Hmm, maybe it is true, "you are what you eat"
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiveoffive View Post
Hi!
Forgive me if I seem 'dumb', I am when it comes to diet and vitamins. I just started taking vitamins. After reading so much here, I'm not sure what I am doing.

I started taking just yesterday :1 multi- omega 3,6,9 (whatever that means?) Vit-C, Biotin and a calcium chew well two a day of those. and only because I like them and my mom takes them.

I did learn to put the fish oils in the fridge But those are the most confusing to me. The bottle says : Flax, Fish, Borage Oil. Contains Omega 3,6,9..
Now, on the back it says essential oil blend: black currant oil (seed) Borage oil (seed) Evening Primrose oil (seed)
it also says it has Vit.E asd-alpha tocopherol 5 IU whats IU and is that bad ?

Mind you, these are all 'cheap' because I didnt really know what to get and I plan on doing better but want to do it with at least some knowledge. I took the multi and the oils together yeasterday mroning and two hours later..lol was sooo sleepy,not sure if the vits had anything to do with it as I was lacking sleep anyway.

I think my question is.. Are those up there good to start with? I am wanting to A). tajke something to help with perimenopause symptoms, B) Just start an overall better health plan. I am not overweight by too many pounds and I am fairly healthy I think. My diet is awful I think, I do try to limit junk food and fast foods. eat a lot of tuna and chicken and fresh spinach. things like that, not alot of red meat. drink water and apple juice. and milk. sprite...

I dont know Im just lost. any help would be great !1 Thanks

Old 05-31-2007, 12:08 PM   #4
(male)

Hardy09 HB User
Re: very new to vits .. help ??

Don't know about fish oil, but for vitamins in general, the trouble with storing them in the fridge is that when you remove them from the fridge in order to take your daily dose, it's likely that condensation will form on the pills. You don't want water on your pills, so it's best just to keep them (as the label says) in a "cool, dry place," not a cold place.

Closed Thread