It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Vitamins & Supplements Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-27-2007, 10:39 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

StenoLady1 HB UserStenoLady1 HB User
Dosage & Effects of Oregano Oil?

Hi, Folks

I'm trying oregano oil to battle a yeast infection I have from antibiotics I took a few weeks ago. The oil I was sold is "super strength." The salesperson at the health food store suggested six or seven drops in a big glass of water, two or three times a day until the infection is cleared (he thought it would take two to three days to clear up).

The salesperson suggested I research oregano oil online, which I did, but I'm finding soooo many conflicting dosage recommendations.

The oil I bought is in liquid form, not a pill or gel cap. I must say I feel a little "off" when I drink it, too. I drank two glasses yesterday (early afternoon and at bedtime), and my tummy is a bit upset after I drink it. I've had a lot of BMs this morning, too (sorry if TMI), which I usually just have one.

Does anyone have any experience for dosage on this stuff, as well as any experiences they can share about pros/cons/effects of this oil? I understand I'm to start taking probiotics for seven to tend days once I'm finished with the oregano oil to get plenty of "good bacteria" back into my system.

ETA: Oh, do you eventually get used to the taste??? I'm finding it harder and hard to chug the stuff. I'm seriously hoping this doesn't turn me off Italian food for life!

Last edited by StenoLady1; 03-27-2007 at 10:40 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-27-2007, 11:01 AM   #2
(female)

furtiva HB User
Re: Dosage & Effects of Oregano Oil?

Stenolady why dont you try oregonal oil capsules? Personally I am taking enchninachea and astragalus capsules to build my immunity system because honestly I cant drink both teas for 3 times a day and water as well..

Oh and I read that you should only use a drop under the tounge once daily...Oregano oil is safe for low-dose, short-term use. High doses cause headaches and nausea and may be toxic to the liver.

Last edited by furtiva; 03-27-2007 at 11:03 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-27-2007, 11:15 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thanks for the speedy response, Furtiva

I didn't even know there were capsules available until after I came home with my sack of goodies from the health food store. As much as I love oregano, I'd much prefer a capsule after having tasted the oil. And it's sooooo hot! There's no way I could handle a drop under my tongue! My lips are on fire for about an hour after I drink a glass of water with a few drops stirred in it.

The toxicity issue scares me. It doesn't help that ten different "authoritative" websites suggest ten different doses. And the manufacturer of the oil I bought doesn't list much on the package/nutritional content, nor on its website.

I don't know. I've got a prescription for Diflucan waiting for me at the drugstore that I might just do instead of the oil. I was hoping to avoid more pills, but I know the Diflucan will knock this out, and the dosage has been set, tested and is easy to research. Wish I could say the same about stuff at the health food store!

Thanks again for your reply

Old 04-02-2007, 01:30 PM   #4
(female)

furtiva HB User

Hi Stenolady,

While I wassearching for a natural supplement I found this great compact organic local store near to my work that had everything that you could ask for.. among them oregano pills and oils of all sorts..The chemist gave me Oregamax as soon as he understood that I was having feminine problems lol..I didn't even mention oregano at all, he strongly suggested it himself..

I have recurring yeast infection for about some months now, but, each month diminishing (I get them right before my period) and the doctor's prescrip. (Diflucan and others) have been good only for one day or two.. WIth my immune system getting stronger, the yeast is going away on its own time, can't wait for my period this time and see if there's gone be one at all.

I know that you want to know more about the oil version, but I really can't do what you are doing..It must taste so awfully.. and I also cant possibly find room for more liquid (between the herbal teas, milk, yogurt and daily recomm. water lool) So I take two pills and they have a very very strong oregano flavor (even if I burp a little I smell like oregano flower for a bit loool) but they are easy to digest and you can even open them and put them in your food if you dont want to swallow them. I should mention that before that, the chemist asked me if I was taking any Acidophilus, which I do every morning ..It is the "good bacteria", the probiotic that is found in yogurt with live cultures read the lables of yogurt containers ..even Lsyogurt and other reasonably priced yogurt compared to stonyfield (so good) have live cultures..It is a great tablet/supplement to take if you are taking antibiotics or antihistamines. It restores the good bacteria instantly. Hope this helps

Last edited by furtiva; 04-02-2007 at 01:40 PM.

Old 04-03-2007, 05:38 AM   #5
Inactive
(female)

music12 HB User

I recommend taking it with a little juice (not citrus) rather than water. Also, I was told to start very slow - with 5 drops, 10 the second week and 15 the third week.

Old 04-10-2007, 11:52 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thanks for the responses, folks

Well, a quick update:

I lasted three days on the super-duper oregano oil. Once I tried it with juice (blech), and the other dosages I just put in a giant glass of water, held my nose and drank it. By the sixth glass, I couldn't take it anymore. I've even had to move the tiny jar of the stuff to the back of my house, because I could smell it all the time in my kitchen. It's going to be a LONG time before I ever care to eat anything with oregano in it again, lol.

Aside from the really bad taste, I just felt rotten drinking it. My stomach hurt, loose stools, heartburn, headaches. I kept waiting for it to get better, but it didn't.

They guy at the health food store thought three days would be enough to clear up a normal, antibiotic-induced yeast infection, but it didn't help it at all. My doc phoned me in a prescription for Diflucan which cleared it up in about 48 hours.

Sooo, anywhoo, I tried, but I ended up back with Diflucan.

Closed Thread