It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Vitamins & Supplements Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-11-2007, 01:50 PM   #1
(female)

KannD86 HB User
omega-3 - fish aftertaste

I've read about all the wonderous things omega-3 (fish oil) can do for you. I'm particularly interested in getting rid of dry skin. I tried a store brand last year but stopped taking it because of the aftertaste. I found some from Purity Products guaranteed to have no fish aftertaste. It's supposed to lemon flavored.

Well, every time I burp, it tastes like fish. I can't stand the taste or smell of fish or any other seafood, that's why I need the supplement. This is a fairly expensive, trustworthy brand. Does this mean there's no way to remove the fish aftertaste from omega-3 pills?

I drank a ton of water to dilute it, drank orange juice and ate salsa in hopes of covering it up. Nothing helps. I know these vitamins would do me a lot of good, but I can't take the side effects. What should I do?

Old 04-11-2007, 05:34 PM   #2
(male)

Hardy09 HB User
Re: omega-3 - fish aftertaste

Quote:
Originally Posted by KannD86 View Post
I've read about all the wonderous things omega-3 (fish oil) can do for you. I'm particularly interested in getting rid of dry skin. I tried a store brand last year but stopped taking it because of the aftertaste. I found some from Purity Products guaranteed to have no fish aftertaste. It's supposed to lemon flavored.

Well, every time I burp, it tastes like fish. I can't stand the taste or smell of fish or any other seafood, that's why I need the supplement. This is a fairly expensive, trustworthy brand. Does this mean there's no way to remove the fish aftertaste from omega-3 pills?

I drank a ton of water to dilute it, drank orange juice and ate salsa in hopes of covering it up. Nothing helps. I know these vitamins would do me a lot of good, but I can't take the side effects. What should I do?
Perhaps the only thing to do is try different brands until you find one that works for you. I noticed that just today Natrol announced a lemon-flavored Omega-3 designed to "help combat the fishy 'burp effect' associated with fish oil supplements." The fact that they mention burping specifically may be a good sign that it works, at least to some extent, and maybe enough. If not, keep trying; it is so important.

Last edited by Hardy09; 04-11-2007 at 05:35 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-11-2007, 11:32 PM   #3
(female)

bluerose50 HB User

Nature Made makes an Omega-3 fish oil supplement that has an enteric coating, which is supposed to solve the problem of the fishy odor and after taste. I'm going to order them and see if it helps.

Old 04-12-2007, 10:02 AM   #4
Inactive
(male)

Mike In NY HB User

A year ago I switched from fish oil capsules to Antartic Pure Krill Oil and have not experienced any fishy taste. It's also known to be far superior to fish oil based on several articles I've read. I take 1000 mg a day.

Old 04-27-2007, 09:19 PM   #5
(female)

KannD86 HB User

Thank you both for your suggestions. I thought before I tried a different brand, I'd try a different product from the same brand (because I get a discount). I took the OmegaBerry today. The aftertaste is very minor and slightly berry-like. I can deal with it. I'm so happy I found something I can live with because Fish Oil is so useful and important to your health.

Old 04-28-2007, 08:27 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

1sunny1 HB User1sunny1 HB User

My husband has coronary artery disease and he has to take omega-3, we know a few other people that have to also take it and they hate the burping and after taste, one of the guys said to put the pills in the freezer and take them from there, ...............it worked, we put them in the freezer a year ago and he has not had the bad fishy burps since.

Closed Thread