It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Vitamins & Supplements Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-19-2007, 03:30 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User
Supplements and Rx meds

Hello,

I am on some pretty strong meds for health problems caused by high blood pressure. I have to put up with nasty side-effects, notably constant nausea and breathlessness (there are others, as well).
I feel tired most of the time and would appreciate your advice. Is there a product (natural, preferrably) that would give me an energy boost? A fellow poster suggested ginger tea mixed with chamomile for my nausea; it helps a little bit. (Is there anything else for that problem?)

I take several supplements daily, without the doctors' knowledge. The only one I ever mentioned to the doc was the CoQ10. My question: is it possible that the supplements I take interact with the prescription medications and contribute to my feeling unwell?

This is what I take:

Omega 3's fish oil
CoQ10
Vitamin B12
Centrum vitamins and minerals (one-a-day)
Vitamin C
Garlic

I stopped taking vitamin E on the advice of the pharmacist, who did not think I needed it. She also advised against substituting Bcomplex for B12.
Should I mention the supplements to my doctor?
Thank you!

Old 04-19-2007, 04:54 PM   #2
(male)

Hardy09 HB User
Re: Supplements and Rx meds

Quote:
Originally Posted by flowergirl2day View Post
Hello,

I am on some pretty strong meds for health problems caused by high blood pressure. I have to put up with nasty side-effects, notably constant nausea and breathlessness (there are others, as well).
I feel tired most of the time and would appreciate your advice. Is there a product (natural, preferrably) that would give me an energy boost? A fellow poster suggested ginger tea mixed with chamomile for my nausea; it helps a little bit. (Is there anything else for that problem?)

I take several supplements daily, without the doctors' knowledge. The only one I ever mentioned to the doc was the CoQ10. My question: is it possible that the supplements I take interact with the prescription medications and contribute to my feeling unwell?

This is what I take:

Omega 3's fish oil
CoQ10
Vitamin B12
Centrum vitamins and minerals (one-a-day)
Vitamin C
Garlic

I stopped taking vitamin E on the advice of the pharmacist, who did not think I needed it. She also advised against substituting Bcomplex for B12.
Should I mention the supplements to my doctor?
Thank you!
It works both ways, that is, medications can interfere with nutrients just as supplements can interfere with medicines. For example, HealthNotes says that CoQ10 has a negative effect on Warfarin, but the following drugs have a negative effect on CoQ10, a compound produced naturally in the body: Atorvastatin, Doxorubicin, Fluvastatin, Gemfibrozil, Lovastatin, Perphe****ne, Pravastatin, Propranolol, Simvastatin, Thioridazine, Timolol, Tricyclic Antidepressants. I would definitely tell your doctor, but often pharmacists know about these interactions better than doctors. You might even check with another pharmacist, just to compare what the two of them say.

Last edited by Hardy09; 04-19-2007 at 05:43 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-19-2007, 09:32 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User
Re: Supplements and Rx meds

Hardy,

thank you for responding! You are right, it works both ways. Medications interfere with nutrients/supplements and vice versa.
Unfortunately, the cholesterol lowering drugs (statins) block the production of CoQ10 (while they are great for reducing bad cholesterol). Also, its levels in our bodies decline as we age. This is where CoQ10 supplements come in and my reason for taking them. I am back on one of the statins.

Pharmacists are a great source of information and those in my area are getting to know me well! I have not thought of asking two pharmacists the same question - it is a great idea! The trick is to consult them when they are not too busy. They'll be more helpful.
I will tell the doctor about the supplements I've been taking. I guess he should know!
I wish I knew a lot more about the supplements. There are so many! How does one decide what to buy? I would think our needs vary, depending on each individuals' age, diet, characteristics.... Eating a well balanced diet helps get a lot of nutrients our bodies need naturally, but how do we know what we lack?

Closed Thread