It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Vitamins & Supplements Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-19-2007, 07:19 AM   #1
(female)

hopebetter HB User
Which brand of multivitamin is the best?

Hi all,

After tuning 40, people recommend to me that I need to take multivitamins. They recommend Centrum. I want to hear which brand is good? What other supplements I need to take too?

Thank you.

Old 05-19-2007, 08:36 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

music12 HB User
Re: Which brand of multivitamin is the best?

I like whole food based vitamins. I take Alive.

Personally, I think there is much too much over-supplementation going on, which can weaken the body's ability to do the job itself. Unless your diet is really poor and you eat a lot of junk food and don't exercise, I really don't think you need to load up on a lot of vitamins. If you have some specific problem you need to address, you can research an herb or vitamin supplement specifically for that issue.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-19-2007, 08:36 AM   #3
Inactive
(male)

Mike In NY HB User

Visit your local health store and take look at Country Life Liquid Multi & Miracle 2000. In the past I've taken capsules/tablets & powders mixed with juice but I'm serioulsy looking at both these products. You take an ounce a day and it can be mixed with juice. They're both priced the same. You're far more likely to take it everyday than dealing with lots of capsules or using a blender to mix a multi vitamin powder with juice. Worth looking into.

Old 06-05-2007, 02:53 PM   #4
(male)

trsgew19 HB User

extend-life total balance is one of the best.

Old 06-10-2007, 11:16 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

Musical_Muse HB User

One caveat with the Alive! vitamin supplement: When I first started to take it, I felt great. It seemed to be helping me. I played with the dosage a lot, as it recommends three tablets, but I'm a thinner person, so I thought that one tablet should be more than enough for me. Anyway, after a few months of use, I got a UTI. I took antibiotics to clear the UTI, but I had this strong sense that it was the Alive! vitamins that caused a lot of it, so I stopped taking them (also, two other people on this board told me that they got UTI's shortly after starting to take this supplement). I still have the bottle of vitamins sitting in my drawer; I took one tablet about three days ago, as an experiment, to which I felt a heaviness in my bladder/groin area . I just want to tell you about what I experienced while taking this supplement.

Since then, I have been taking Centrum chewable multivits instead (as I understand it, time-released capsules are actually supposed to be one of the best forms), along with fish oil, b-complex (recent addition), echinacea/goldenseal (recent addition), garlic, cranberry, and Citracal calcium. I feel good, and I think that this is a good combo for me at the moment. I probably tend toward being a vitamin-aholic, though, so I need to watch this .

I hope this has helped you .

~Colleen

Old 06-22-2007, 07:28 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

cvoor HB User

Something simple like Centrum will do. Be careful of Mega Vitamins, You don't need hundreds or thousands over the rda, those are the vitamins that give me problems.

Last edited by cvoor; 06-22-2007 at 07:29 PM.

Old 06-22-2007, 09:32 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

rosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB User

It depends.....on if you're a smoker or not.
be careful....most multivitamins have vitamin A as beta-carotine, and it has been shown to make lung cancer develop and flourish (in smokers). I found a multi at Puritans pride that had the A from something else.

Old 06-30-2007, 04:30 AM   #8
Inactive
(female)

music12 HB User

Check out Basic Cell Energy for an excellent Multi.

Closed Thread