It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Vitamins & Supplements Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-13-2007, 08:11 AM   #1
(female)

dianegirl HB User
Smile Sublingual B12...is it really good for you or a hoax?

Does anyone here take sublingual b12? I've been reading up on it and it seems like it is somewhat of a miracle vitamin...and from what I've read you can't harm yourself in supplementing with b12 because any extra is simply exctreted from the body.

Does anyone know if this is true? I see that Puritans Pride carries it at a reasonable price, also Vitamin Shoppe has some also that is well priced.

Any personal, medical or anecdotal info on this would be great. Thanks.

Old 06-13-2007, 08:17 PM   #2
(female)

SRC HB User
Re: Sublingual B12...is it really good for you or a hoax?

I wish somebody would answer your post who has used B12 sublingual and has had success!!

My Doctor said sublingual is as effective as injections; yet, am getting conflicting info on the NET so I really don't know. I just started taking 1,000mg sublingual 2 x's a day to see if it will get rid of the numbness/tingling I'm feeling in my body. So far, nothing. Even though my B12 levels appear mid-range for our area; I have read where Japan's ranges are alot higher. I may request injections from my doctor when I see him in a couple of weeks; although he may say "no" since I'm "in range".

Hopefully more people will reply.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-14-2007, 09:46 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User

Hi,

if you are in the range, why do you insist on taking extra doses of vitamin B12? I could understand it if there was a deficiency!

Your tingling/numbness could have many other causes. Mine was caused by a damaged nerve and I'll have to get used to it bothering me now and then.

Flowergirl

Old 06-14-2007, 07:37 PM   #4
(female)

SRC HB User

Well, actually, I'm not insisting on anything. There are, however, many schools of thought about B12 and varying levels that are required to maintain optimal health. When the diagnosis is "idiopathic" (meaning unknown origin), I'm chosing to delve further into the situation.

Old 06-14-2007, 09:11 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User

Hi,

Good for you, SRC. I hope you will find something (B12 or otherwise) that will help you deal with this unpleasantness.

I also plan to do more research into alternative medicine as I am fed up with prescription drugs and their side-effects. All that was available to people ages ago was just the natural stuff, herbs and potions and they made out OK with that. It takes a lot of knowledge to figure the supplements out. So many people have been helped. The trick is to find the right products for specific ailments. I am reading a book titled "The Complete Encyclopedia of Natural Healing" right now. It's very educational!

Flowergirl

Old 06-16-2007, 11:26 AM   #6
(female)

dianegirl HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRC View Post
I wish somebody would answer your post who has used B12 sublingual and has had success!!

My Doctor said sublingual is as effective as injections; yet, am getting conflicting info on the NET so I really don't know. I just started taking 1,000mg sublingual 2 x's a day to see if it will get rid of the numbness/tingling I'm feeling in my body. So far, nothing. Even though my B12 levels appear mid-range for our area; I have read where Japan's ranges are alot higher. I may request injections from my doctor when I see him in a couple of weeks; although he may say "no" since I'm "in range".

Hopefully more people will reply.
SRC...thanks for your reply....hey, just two questions...did your doctor tell you how much B12 sublingual to take or did you just guess? Did your doctor tell you that you can't take too much B12 because you excrete extra out in your urine? (just wanted to double check that what I've read online is true.)

I hope others respond, I can't believe that more people on here aren't taking B12???? Seems like it is supposed to do wonderful things, I thought I'd find a few folks on here that were taking it.

Thanks.

dianegirl

Old 06-17-2007, 08:50 PM   #7
(female)

SRC HB User

Hi Dianegirl.

I have just been doing alot of research on the Net about b12 deficiency. There is an R.N. by the name of Sally Pacholok who has written a book about it.

I just arbritarily picked 2,000 mcg of sublingual B12 (my pharmacist said that would be fine and so did a lady at one of our health food stores); however, the R.N. I refer to says to take 5,000 mcg sublingually inbetween B12 shots. Her protocol is 5-7 days of 1,000 mcg B12 injections, then 1/week for a month, then 1/month for life--also supplementing with 5,000 mcg sublingually for the duration.

Kind of floundering here because, as I first mentioned, my B12 is in the range of our labs (375) but alot of the reading I've done suggests this is too low. My doctor isn't being all that helpful so have booked a consult with a naturopath we have here.

When my tingling and numbness first started in my feet he recommended calcium, then magnesium, then B vitamins, then wrote me a prescription for folic acid. Have since read that a high-end folate acid reading can mask a B12 deficiency and my folic acid is now at the high end because of supplements so have stopped taking them. This is just about driving me bananas!

Since then I've had my thyroid go from hypo (on meds) to hyper (had to take anti-thyroid and beta blockers to protect my heart) then had Radio Active Iodine in September and am now back on thryoid medication.....and the tingling/numbness/vibrating has gotten worse and worse and is in my entire body. The other night I didn't take a Clonazepam (Klonopin) at bedtime and I just about went insane with vibrating.....and all the while...the doctors say "they just don't know" and leave it at that. sigh.

ooops...sorry, that was kind of a ramble hahah

I've also read over and over again where you cannot take too much B12. Good luck, keep me posted.

Shelley

Closed Thread